Ignition switch light ring does not go off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled my dash and replced all the bulbs in there (thanks Dan) and found the reason the key light ring did not light was the dead bulb.

Cool I thought as I like everything to work. I replaced the bulb only to find the reason it was dead is because it never goes off. WHat turns it on/off?

Thanks

The "Room lamp control" relay. 85965-60010, list $123.89.

cruiserdan said:
The "Room lamp control" relay. 85965-60010, list $123.89.

sounds like that bulb will be comming out real soon :eek:

Thanks Dan.

I pulled it immediately no need for it to be on or to waste a bulb.

Just a quick question. I have checked the FSM (I have all three volumes) and searched but cannot find the location of the room lamp relay - and I've looked.

Thanks if you can help.

Does this room lamp control relay also shut off the dome lights when the door is closed? Both my domes stay on with the door closed (switch in door position).

Just a quick question. I have checked the FSM (I have all three volumes) and searched but cannot find the location of the room lamp relay - and I've looked.

Thanks if you can help.

I have been looking for a year.

Anyone know where it is?

ok my dome lamps work properly but the ring around the switch is not going off. Is it still the relay?

Does this room lamp control relay also shut off the dome lights when the door is closed? Both my domes stay on with the door closed (switch in door position).

There is no relay for the dome lights. Putting the switch in the "door" position makes it so the lights go to ground through a normally closed switch in the door jamb (that little black rubber button). When you open the door, the circuit closes. It's quite brilliant actually.

Your circuit is grounding somewhere before those door switches. The trick will be to find out where.

There is no relay for the dome lights. Putting the switch in the "door" position makes it so the lights go to ground through a normally closed switch in the door jamb (that little black rubber button). When you open the door, the circuit closes. It's quite brilliant actually.

Your circuit is grounding somewhere before those door switches. The trick will be to find out where.

I disagree with your analysis, Taylor. On my '94, the "key ring" light only goes on with the driver's door open, stays on the whole time the door is open and fades to off about 5 seconds after door is closed. Also, the door ajar light is illuminated when any door, including the hatch, is open. OP did not mention that his door ajar light was on continously. He did mention that he just replaced "all the bulbs in there" and that he likes everything to work, so I'm assuming that his door ajar light is functional. If it was a short in the circuit, as you have concluded, the door ajar light would also be constantly on. So, I have to agree with cdan's advice.

I disagree with your analysis, Taylor. On my '94, the "key ring" light only goes on with the driver's door open, stays on the whole time the door is open and fades to off about 5 seconds after door is closed. Also, the door ajar light is illuminated when any door, including the hatch, is open. OP did not mention that his door ajar light was on continously. He did mention that he just replaced "all the bulbs in there" and that he likes everything to work, so I'm assuming that his door ajar light is functional. If it was a short in the circuit, as you have concluded, the door ajar light would also be constantly on. So, I have to agree with cdan's advice.

Ha! Wow I'm smart.

There isn't a relay in the FJ80 so that's where I came from :eek: Thanks for pointing that out

Thank you everyone for your input in the thread above. I had the same problem with the light staying on around the ignition and I noticed another light on my aftermarket radio staying on. I assumed the two were related. There were several used relays for sale on eBay for $15-$25. I finally found where the old one is located...behind the front passenger side front kick plate. It was really easy to install. Thank you again for everyones dialogue/input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom