Repairing radiator with JB Weld (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 93 and just noticed a one inch crack in the top part of the radiator - on the vertical above the seam on the plastic top of the radiator. A little coolant weeps out of the crack after a 1 hour drive. I was thinking I could clean it up and JB weld it for a short term fix until I can save a little a get one from CDan. Any thoughts.

I did search and most suggested replacement of an radiator issue, but I didn't see this type of crack discussed.

Thanks everyone!

Eddie

I am not sure about the radiator but I repaired a fuel rail on my father-in-laws Volvo about 2 years ago as a temporary fix. It is a pressurized rail sitting on top of the engine, so it gets hot, has pressure and it sealing gasoline instead of water. i didn't think it would work, but he was visiting and needed to get back home. Long story short, the JB weld is still holding 2 years later. With that said, I would think it would work on the radiator, just clean and sand the area well, you might be surprised. I keep some JB Kwik in my tool box all the time, plus it is made about an hour from my house.
Rusty

I used JB Weld on my radiator for a hairline crack. Worked great but soon after that another crack appeared then another. . . .Worked for me for the short time before the radiator was replaced.

They make a radiator repair epoxy or something similar, Jb well has not worked that well for me in the past. It did not bond that well to the plastic they use. As for the crack, as Jimmy states, his experence with the crack and more, it is my experence as well(I have a top tank that I looked at after a major blow out coming back from BHCC last summer, it has several cracks). Good luck with waiting. Later Robbie

I tried some high dollar Devcon Plastic Steel on a crack in my plastic top tank.... lasted a couple of days and then the 1/2" crack became a 2" crack. After pricing all the alternatives, I ended up having cruiserdan send me a new OEM radiator. Wasn't cheap, but if it lasts me another 15 years, I'm a happy camper.

I used JB quick to trail repair a crack in my radiator 6 months ago. Its still in use today. Worked great. Just make sure you remove any paint to expose the metal. Rough it up a bit if you can to help the JB weld adhere to it better.

Buy a new one...........:clap: Call Cdan & support a great fellow & save some $$$
Should it blow at a bad time or leak all the fluid out..cost could=NEW MOTOR:eek:

If its last this long a new one will keep the whole rig going.

Many thanks for all the great recomendations. Since it was leaking today and I have to drive it tomorrow, I decided to go ahead and try the JB Weld. I prepped the area real well and roughed it up before applying the JB Weld. It is curing now and hopefully will hold for the short term while I either order up a new one or do something else.

Again, thanks.:flipoff2:

Eddie

93 FZJ80 - 175K miles

Survey Says - XXX

Well, it was worth a shot, but the coolant blew through the JB Weld. I think if I would have applied it a bit thicker, it may have held, but oh well. Might as well replace it.

Given my schedule this week, I decided to drop it off at my local shop (McIntosh Imports) to get her taken care of. They gave me a pretty good price.

:cheers:

JB weld on mine just cracked in half again. I went to the parts store and they sell radiator repair epoxy. Very similar to JB Weld in final consistancy, but its a "log", with one chemical wrapped in a second. You cut off what you need and knead it together into a useable paste. I believe its designed for the high temp/pressure that its exposed too.

I used a wire wheel on mine to rough up the surface, then pour isoprophyl alcohol on it to clean it and then applied the epoxy. Has lasted several months now.

I decided to drop it off at my local shop (McIntosh Imports) to get her taken care of. They gave me a pretty good price.

I hope they are using an OEM rad!! Don't use aftermarket.

Your best bet is to replace a new one. Normally they are designed to last for at least 150k. The upper and lower plastic cap will eventually crack, just wear and tear. Unless you replace the whole plastic cap.

Ditto - I was told in no uncertain terms that all radiators are not created equal. Sure OEM will be a little more expensive than most aftermarket radiators, but better to buy one every 10-15 years than one every 2-3 years.

The Toyota OEM is the way to go if you plan to keep it for a long time given that if you have the 1FZFE not much tolerance for overheating especially you have the original headgasket waiting to be exploded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom