CB antenna Grounding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nullterminal.org
Hey guys,

This is probably a stupid question but I want to get it out of the way before I start to purchase.

Basically my question is, Does a CB antenna need a ground inorder to to work.

I'll show you what im planning on doing.

Im going to purchase this 102" stainless steal whip
( RadioShack.com - Phones & Radio Communications: Accessories: Radio & scanner accessories: Antennas & dummy loads: 102" Stainless Steel Whip Element for CB Antenna )
and mount it to a "Non-ground mount" Pictured at the bottom of the antenna in this link.
( RadioShack.com - Phones & Radio Communications: Accessories: Radio & scanner accessories: Antennas & dummy loads: 2-Foot Base-Loaded Fiberglass Truckers' CB Antenna )

sorry for the stupid question...

Thanks,
Trevor

Trevor;

There are no stupid questions, especially on antennas and mobile rigs...

Yes, a ground for the antenna coax [outer shield] is a real good idea.

I'm assuming that u are going to mount antenna on the 94-FZJ80.
The antenna is one half of the transmission circuit and the auto body/frame is the other half.

This is my arrangement; more complicated that urs , but note the RF grounding:
RigProj : HF ANT 3

U may want to reconsider using the 102 inch antenna. It will require a spring loaded mounting system. There are smaller mobile CB antennas and mounts that may work just as well.

Jeez, that antenna is crazy!

Haha, I'll look more into the antennas then..

The only thing I really dont want is a magnet mounted antenna.

Thanks!

Do you have any suggestions as to what antenna I should use?

The only thing I really dont want is a magnet mounted antenna.

What are your objections to the mag mounts?

A good Wilson 4000 mag mount is a very good CB antenna. The magnet is very powerful so you don't have to worry about tree limbs knocking it off. I also bought a mag mount for my 2M radio with an NMO mount. It is low profile and has an even bigger and more powerful magnet.

That 102" whip is huge. Depending on where you place the mount, it could be ~15 feet in the air. Good range but quite the hassle going through Starbucks drive thru. :D

-B-

Well, My friend has a big ole magnet mount and I just dont like the look of the big bulky thing, plus I've been in the car when it falls off all the time.

Basically, I'd like to attach the antenna to either the front or rear bumper (rear more though)

What type of antennas are those ones that have a kink and are able to be folded across the vehicle? (I've seen em attached to the front bumper alot.

Anyone have a good online store to find what Im thinking of?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom