ThermoKing diesel, similar to 3B? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yodafrick

Cruiserhead
Threads
So yesterday I went to pick up some home heating oil tanks with my boss and noticed a diesel engine outside of the guys shop. This motor looked like it was set up just like a 3B to my semi untrained eye. It was marked ThermoKing on the valve cover, side plate, and even the block was stamped "TK". But everything else reminded me of a 3B. The only other difference was the generator was on the left side.

The injector pump (I think that's what it is) was labeled Made in Japan and also was labeled 'Kiki'. Pat (fj40moneypit) told me once that the reefer units often used Japanese diesels, and I'm pretty sure this is what I found. I've been lookin for a diesel for a while, think this is worth checkin into? I'm just wonderin if a tranny will bolt up to it, if the output shaft is correct, etc. The owner said I could have it and if it turns out to be a good motor, he'd want 500 for it. Should I hop on it? I'll try to get some pics/ other numbers off it in the near future. Thanks in advance for the help. Josh

Shoot some pics and post 'em up. Reefer and genset diesels are set up to run at a constant RPM and so changes have to made to injector pump for road use.

.. could make a good marine motor say for a sailboat.. either way $500 beans for a running diesel sounds awfully tempting - check into some parts prices - a fuel pump alone might be worth more than the motor to the right person.

I was wondering about these as well. I found a few here but they are 2.2L. I have a Turbo I could put on one of these from a 300TD mercedes and I think I could have it make some decent torque. I might put it in instead of the 6.2L chevy diesel that I picked up. Price is right on these things.

Biggest thing would be adaptability to a transimssion. 6.2L direct bolt up to a ton of transmissions. This thing......not so much, which means adapters and MOOLA.

I know a guy with one of those into a military Willys Jeep ... also has the ThermoKing "hours" gauge installed...

Isuzu diesel engines are known very well for their durabulity and reliability

He took it from a refrigerated container

Do you have any info on what he did for a transmission? I'm assuming something out of an izuzu truck.

Not going to do me much good probably as the 6.2L is a relatively easy swap and the SM465 and 205 in my garage along with it makes things that much easier and cheaper.

But you never know. May make a great swap for something down the road if I have one sitting in my garage. 2.2L turbo's would get some great mileage in a little rig.

If it's the C223 Isuzu then it was used in Isuzu pickups and older troopers. Turbo versions were available (C223T using a Garrett T2), 4 and 5 speed transmissions are out there that will bolt up.

More recently they're 4LE series engines, link below.
ISUZU:Specifications & Drawings
They look like an SAE type bellhousing, the drawings are on that page.
The 4LE1 is indirect injection and will be quieter, the 4LE2 is direct injection so noisier but more fuel efficient and quicker starting.

A Duramax is also an Isuzu engine

Thanks guys, I'll check it out more later this week and get some pics.

Most of the newer (2000+) Thermo King trailer reefer units are powered by a 2.2L Yanmar diesel putting out a whopping 34HP @ 2,200 rpm. The 2.2L Isuzu's (C201 and the DI LE) used prior has about the same rating at a lower RPM. These engines also generally have a 12-15L oil capacity due to the long service intervals and seeing a unit with 30,000+ hours on it is not unusual.

In a 2200# Jeep it might not be a bad swap but I would not consider it in a 60.

i also have a diesel 4 cyl c201 diesel motor made by isuzu for thermo king need to find tranny or trans adapter poss chevy luv trans might work any ideas

i also have a diesel 4 cyl c201 diesel motor made by isuzu for thermo king need to find tranny or trans adapter poss chevy luv trans might work any ideas

The isuzu engine used in the pickups was a C223. Being a C series the changes of bellhousing/transmission interchange are quite good. But the person to answer your question for sure is JLemond on the Isuzu diesels section of 4x4wire.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom