Syncrowave 200 or Precision Tig 225? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a TIG machine (stepping up from gas welding :)). Anyone have input on the Syncrowave 200 vs. the Precision Tig 225? The Syncro looks like it has more adjustability and a slightly better duty cycle while the Precision has a few more amps. Searching seems to turn up more good things about Miller than Lincoln in terms of warranty, parts, repairs... Other than that I can't find anything that would make one of these an obvious choice over the other. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

I have the Lincoln Precision TIG 185 that has served me well for a few years. I also own a Lincoln MIG machine and have never had any issues with reliabilty, finding parts or anything else. That said, I have yet to meet anyone who didn't like their Miller; I think you'd be good to go with either.

I have a small Lincoln Mig.

I have a bigger Miller Mig and the last Tig I used was Miller. Really can't go wrong.

Vote for Miller because of better customer service.

Vote for Miller because of better customer service.

I do seem to hear that more often...

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I'm now thinking either a syncrowave 200 or a stripped down 250DX with just the runner, foot pedal and a starter 150 amp air cooled torch. My original plan had been a buy something smaller now and upgrade to a larger machine later but from the archives of various lists that I've been reading it sounds like it would be cheaper in the long run to start with a stripped down larger machine and upgrade or build accessories when I need more power.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I'm now thinking either a syncrowave 200 or a stripped down 250DX with just the runner, foot pedal and a starter 150 amp air cooled torch. My original plan had been a buy something smaller now and upgrade to a larger machine later but from the archives of various lists that I've been reading it sounds like it would be cheaper in the long run to start with a stripped down larger machine and upgrade or build accessories when I need more power.

Thoughts?

Definitely the way to go....However, if you can swing it, get the liquid-cooled torch from the get-go.

:beer:

Thoughts?

Another option would be to look for a used syncrowave 250 (not the 250DX) model. You should be able to find one complete with water cooled torch and running gear for less than 2K you'd spend on the syncrowave 200.

I recently sold my syncrowave 250 with running gear, water cooled torch, water cooler, and 150CF argon tank for $1600. The buyer got a great deal.

Used would definitely be an option but I haven't had any luck finding one in my area. Still looking though.

What is the difference between the 250 and the 250DX? I've tried to figure that out before but haven't found anything that details the difference...

What is the difference between the 250 and the 250DX? I've tried to figure that out before but haven't found anything that details the difference...

250DX allows you to have a pulser option for around $200. If you want pulse feature on the syncrowave 250, you'll need to buy a PC-300 which will cost around $300 - $400 used.

250DX will have more electronics than the 250. Digital meters on the 250DX, fan on demand unless you buy a 1996 or newer 250. Other than that, no difference in power or features to justify the additional cost of the 250DX.

Syncrowave 250 Tig welders are pretty much bullet proof (durable) and heavy at 380 lbs. Many are still used in production environments.

Well I finally pulled the trigger.... on a Miller Dynasty 200 :D After I talked myself up to a Syncrowave 250 and spent several months trying to find a used one I came to the sad realization that my shop/garage just didn't have the space for it. Power yes, space no. So I figured as long as I was optimizing for space I might as well go whole hog. Plus with a small bottle of Argon I can easily take it over to friends' houses and run it off 120volt.

I fired it up for the first time yesterday, wired to my air compressor's 20amp/240 volt outlet (need a little more than that at some point to run it full throttle). Only had an hour so I just played around some but it was very easy to set up, strike an arc, and run a bead without filler. I had never used a TIG before, just gas welding. Feels pretty similar, I just have to break my habit of moving the torch in circles :hillbilly:

Definitely the way to go....However, if you can swing it, get the liquid-cooled torch from the get-go.

:beer:
Ditto, Go with the water cooled, check your yellow pages to find out which mfg. has more shops in your area, go with the one who has the most retailers nearest you. I have Miller TIG,MIG and Thermal Dynamics plasma machines!
Hola
eric

Used would definitely be an option but I haven't had any luck finding one in my area. Still looking though.

Check craigslist daily!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom