$2 FIX for LED Tail Lights causing Cruiser Control issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Recently, I ordered the Clear/RED LED Tail Lights.

These are the ones which are LED Tail/Brake Lights and normal globes go into the indicator and reverse lights.

I received them yesterday and I must say - the product quality is excellent, the packaging was unbelievable and the delivery was fast all the way over to the Croodile Land of Australia!

I installed them within 10 minutes of the courier delivering them and was VERY happy :)

Doing Business with Mot has been a pleasure.

Thank you Mot.

Today, I had to go for a 2 hour drive into the country for Christmas Day(our family has a house on a property - so I went to use the cruise control and it was dead... I thought at first, I must have knocked a connector off recently when working under the dash or blown a fuse - then I recalled Mot mentioned to me in a PM that some people had experienced issues with Cruise Control which I had written off at the time.

So, tonight when I got home, I checked all fuses - no problems there, then I swapped one of my rear lights back to a factory one and bingo, the cruiser control worked...

So the only thing I could think of is that the cruise control is getting ground from a standard globe where as a LED light is like a diode and wont be grounded when turned off - The cruise control uses the brake light to sense when you touch the brake pedal.

So, I spliced into the white wire(black stripe) which is ground and the Green Wire(blue stripe) which is the positive for the brake light and connected that to a small 5W standard globe. I then used liquid tape to waterproof the solder joints and found that it was small enough to fit nicely behind the brake light assemble just at the bottom of the box shape under where the brake light LED's are. Secured it there with electrical tape and went for a test drive.

It WORKS!

So a 5W Globe for a dollar and 2 x 3 inch pieces of wire, some electrical tape and solder and 10 minutes of your time and it is a fix.

The other option would be to use a 5W resistor - not sure about how much heat it would generate though... I imaging that would not be an issue... probably a better option since if the globe blows, I will have to replace the globe - where as with a resister, it wont "blow" like a bulb - so I will try that option when I get some more time.

Just thought I would let anyone else know that may also have this issue.

By the way, Merry Christmas Everyone! :beer:

I didn't take any - what would you like pics of specifically?

It was just a small 5W bulb with two wires spliced into the negative brake wire(white one) and the positive Brake wires(green one) and placed at the back of the housing...

Is that what you would like a pic of?

Here's a night time shot - I can post a dy time shot later when the sun comes up over here in Australia :)

This photo is Mot's Clear/RED LED Tail Light with Yellow globes for indicators and LED Replacement Bulbs for Reverse Lights.

The tail lights were on in this pic(not brakes) and Reverse and Indicators...
They are all very bright..
LEDTailLights.jpg

Maybe a different batch of cruise control's from Toyota ? Maybe one works differently to the other?

Or maybe Australian ones are different?

:confused:

My cruise control works but when I use my blinkers to change lanes it kills it. Alway wondered why this happened.

What's weird is that I have 1 & 3 watt LED brake lights, but it doesn't affect my cruise control for some reason. The lights I have fit into the standard brake/tail light socket, so I didn' t have to replace the entire light assembly.

Do you guys down there have the 3rd brake light like we do in the states? Maybe that one is providing the necessessary ground for us if you don't have one.

I do find that my LED tail lights provide some interference with the AM radio under certain conditions. Fortunately it's only really bad sometimes and only when the brake lights come on.

What's weird is that I have 1 & 3 watt LED brake lights, but it doesn't affect my cruise control for some reason. The lights I have fit into the standard brake/tail light socket, so I didn' t have to replace the entire light assembly.

Do you guys down there have the 3rd brake light like we do in the states? Maybe that one is providing the necessessary ground for us if you don't have one.

I do find that my LED tail lights provide some interference with the AM radio under certain conditions. Fortunately it's only really bad sometimes and only when the brake lights come on.

Hi Brian,

We DO have the third brake light... I don't get any interference that I can pick up on my AM radio though...

In Puerto Rico we do not worry about blinkers either. Now the horn or a BIG bumper are a must.

even if you don't use them - they should be in working order...

Where are the pics?:D

Here's the day time shot you were after - they are more of a dep red color - the camera seems to want to make them more yellowish because they are so bright and it makes them darker than they are with the human eye - this is only park/tail lights turned on - brake lights came out as a red blur... so I am only posting the tail/park light shot.
rearLEDTAILlightsindaylight.jpg

Frank,

Thanks for the kind words.

And I'm glad that you've found a definitive way to fix the cruiser problem.
Like the color of your rig, too. (Kissing up!:hillbilly:)

THANKS AGAIN!!

Mot:crybaby:

if you are running a trailer converter, this will cause the havoc with the LED lights and the cruise/turn signal....

I pulled that "magic black box" from the system and it now works perfectly...without a 5w bulb inline...

Here's the day time shot you were after - they are more of a dep red color - the camera seems to want to make them more yellowish because they are so bright and it makes them darker than they are with the human eye - this is only park/tail lights turned on - brake lights came out as a red blur... so I am only posting the tail/park light shot.

G'day Landtank, it is definitely working - that photo is without the foot on the brake pedal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom