Trans temp w/ Scangauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brian894x4.com
Anyone figured out how to do this yet? I know Scangauge hasn't released any info. The only Toyota specific codes are for the Prius.

The strange thing is that apparently, the trans temp feature will work on Tacomas, such as the Expedition West Tacoma which used a Scangauge to monitor trans temps on their Artic Expedition per their Overland Journal article.

I figured the Tacoma code might work with our OBD II 80s but I can't find what that code might be.

Anyone have a clue?

You could always just buy the kit from http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/ for the lc80 - he provides the cooler union with the sensor installed already so it is an easy install :)

I did it - and it is great.

Last edited:
My scangauge II is wrapped and under the tree. As soon as I can tear into that bad boy, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I don't think we have the sensor for this option.

We have an AT Temp warning light (idiot light), so we must have a sensor, at least my 96 does.

We have an AT Temp warning light (idiot light), so we must have a sensor, at least my 96 does.

My thoughts too.

Franku, the link doesn't work for me, do you think there's a distributor in the U.S. for the product you mention?

I spoke with Ron DeLong at Linear Logic earlier this week about the ability to monitor transmission temperature. Ron is the designer/programmer of the ScanGauge II. He has not been able to discover the ECU sensor code for Land Cruisers. We are both convinced it is possible because the ECU monitors the AT temperature and controls the AT temp warning light in the instrument cluster. But since transmission temperature is not a required OBD II standard sensor, it requires knowing the proprietary sensor code that Toyota used when they designed and programmed the LC ECU. It may or may not be the same sensor code used in other Toyota trucks, and ultimately could depend on the year of manufacturer. Ron said this kind of proprietary information is exceedingly difficult to get from the manufacturer, either because they don't want to provide it or because the engineer(s) who know the answer are buried so deep within the company that they effectively can't be found except by a company insider.

For those of you who are adventurous, Ron is happy to provide the details so that you can program your own sensor monitor on a later model "XGAUGE" type ScanGauge II. The 80-series LC conforms to the J1850 VPW OBD II standard. The ScanGauge will let you send commands to the vehicle ECU and receive a response back. The AT temperature is very likely available as a "mode 22 PID" command. You could try sending different PIDs (I think it's a 2-byte hex code) and see what response comes back, but this would be like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. So unless someone can come up with the needed sensor code, the ScanGauge II is not going to be able to provide the AT temperature in an 80-series.

I rigged a system to measure my ATF temp. Very easy.
I'll be happy to compare that to scangause measurements to solve the mystery if somebody sends me a scangauge to play with... :)

The AT temperature sensor in an 80 does more then the temp light. The AT will not go into OD until the trans reaches operating temperature and the sensor lets the ECU know this. So the sensor has a variable output so the info is there for the taken.

I did not want to take the chance on santa so I ordered my Scan Gauge last night.:D

Is this why the ATF goes from the tranny to the cooler to the bottom of the radiator before heading back into the tranny? The radiator warms up the ATF in order to satisfy the TCU?

Is this why the ATF goes from the tranny to the cooler to the bottom of the radiator before heading back into the tranny? The radiator warms up the ATF in order to satisfy the TCU?

Ali--

I think I found the answer to this question from a post a long time ago, of course, posted by Photoman--man he is good...:

IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - Transmission Fluid Cooling Hoses???

The gist (as stated by Bill):

"The transmission oil cooler in the bottom radiator tank both cools and heats the transmission oil. If the tranny oil is hotter than the water in the radiator, then the heat is transferred from the tranny fluid to the water coolant. The transmission oil cooler as seen in the picture is just like a small radiator with tubes and fins that is surrounded by the water coolant in the bottom radiator tank. The two fittings coming out of the bottom tank that the rubber hoses connect to are the in and out of the transmission oil cooler. The rubber hoses are the transition from the hard metal tubing from the transmission to the transmission oil cooler. These allow for some flex between the two."

-o-

I am also trying to collect information on the correct routing of the tranny lines as it seems that some trucks without the auxiliary cooler up front have a different routing system for the inlet and outlet from the tranny to the bottom of the radiator.

I am trying to figure out if the fluid goes to the cooler first or to the radiator first and then to the cooler and then back to the tranny.

-o-

Beno,

My understanding is that the cooler union closest to the front of the car from the transmission goes to the radiator, then the cooler the from the cooler back to the rear cooler union on the tranny.

Is that what you wanted to know?

The AT temperature sensor in an 80 does more then the temp light. The AT will not go into OD until the trans reaches operating temperature and the sensor lets the ECU know this. So the sensor has a variable output so the info is there for the taken.

I did not want to take the chance on santa so I ordered my Scan Gauge last night.:D

I have driven vehicles in the past that required the engine coolant to be warmer than a set temperature before the torque converter would lock up. The thermostat was broken for a few days, and it wouldn't lock up until the thermostat was replaced, thereby allowing the coolant to reach the normal operating range. Are you certain that the ATF fluid temp is what the 80 ECU is using, vice the coolant temperature?

I have driven vehicles in the past that required the engine coolant to be warmer than a set temperature before the torque converter would lock up. The thermostat was broken for a few days, and it wouldn't lock up until the thermostat was replaced, thereby allowing the coolant to reach the normal operating range. Are you certain that the ATF fluid temp is what the 80 ECU is using, vice the coolant temperature?

Certain…I’m old :flipoff2:and going off memory:eek: of the research I did a couple of years ago on my 96 SC 80. I was going to go to a remote stand alone trans cooler and bypass all the Toyota stuff.

I did check my 80 file and found this doc out of the FSM that shows the trans sensor to be variable. So what I am certain of is that the info is there for the taken.

HTH somebody:cheers:
IMG (Medium).jpg

Any update to this fellas? I'd love to switch to the scangauge if it would do trans temps along with all the other things we know for sure it does do. Has anyone heard how to make that work with our rigs? Thanks. :cheers:

bump, for an answer...

I am interested in this also.

er ive got a scanguage 2 but i think my FZJ 80 is OBD1 were is the obd plug so i can try and hook it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom