SnoClaws poly tire chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone use these?
I have Toyo MT's and a bit worried for icey road conditions in Mammoth this winter. I plan on siping my MT's but want something as an extra step of safety.

Will they be worthless with a MT tire? anyone have experience with them?
thanks

i521884sn02.jpg

siping will help, but it will be nowhere near chains or snoclaws or whatever else you add to the tire for additional traction.

I've never used them, but have seen similar products available for quite a while. costco used to (still might) sell something similar online.

more grip on ice is always a good thing.

Where are you??

I agree with NCD, but I don't think I'd waste my time on the Snowclaws. They're better than nothing, but chains are the shiznit. If you're already gonna be laying in the snow/ice, just put the chains on. :cheers:

I investigated these a couple years ago before deciding upon RUD chains. The main application for my use is off-road and the company representative didn't exactly inspire confidence in me when I said I needed them for off-road use that could expose the plastic traction device to rocks...

For on-road type use I think they'd be fine. I used SpiderSpikes on our FWD vehicles and they were great. Easy & quick to install...and when the chain control crew sees you have the special SpiderSpikes hub they typically waved us through even when "4x4 only" was up because they are so easy and quick to install. But they'd get torn up off-road too...

Like NCD said the siping will help and should do just fine up there.
Those roads are pretty well cared for and it just doesnt get that cold (for long).
I just dont think the conditions will ever warrant needing an aux traction device (on a crusier)
Cal Trans will have other things to say about that , and that's why I carry chains just for show.

my 02
ken

where do you buy Rud products? The Rud CENTREX looks nice and easy to use (but don't know if they fit 315's)
SpiderSpikes look easy but doesn't fit bigger than 275's.

Costco has SSC chains but nothing in a 315/75-16... they have a 315/75-22 tho!?

I don't have much snow driving experience so I would hate to have this built up Cruiser get stuck on a road somewhere... not sure if it would be more embarassing than dangerous but prob. both!

not planning to use them offroad, just for severe winter road use-as a 'emergency'. sounds like I wouldn't need them but I would like to have something since conditions can change drastically.

thanks!

I read some reviews of these on a plowing/snow removal forum (there really is a forum for everything). People seemed to have a lot of good to say about them.

One of the reasonable CA laws says something to the effect that when traveling through "snow country" you must carry 1 set of aux traction devices (chains) and they must fit your vechicle.

Or something.....

So you should carry something.
ken

yer, i had a pair, and they where crap, took'em back to canadian tire. very difficult to put on.

chains are easer to put on, stronger, more grip. .

inho

where do you buy Rud products? The Rud CENTREX looks nice and easy to use (but don't know if they fit 315's)

I don't have much snow driving experience so I would hate to have this built up Cruiser get stuck on a road somewhere... not sure if it would be more embarassing than dangerous but prob. both!

not planning to use them offroad, just for severe winter road use-as a 'emergency'. sounds like I wouldn't need them but I would like to have something since conditions can change drastically.

thanks!

You have a local tire store? Inquire there. I like Trygg's for most applications. Check these out.
trygg.jpg

I've seen these in action. They seem to slip, grip, slip, grip. I wonder whether that would put a lot of strain on the drivetrain.

Anyone use these?
I have Toyo MT's and a bit worried for icey road conditions in Mammoth this winter. I plan on siping my MT's but want something as an extra step of safety.

Will they be worthless with a MT tire? anyone have experience with them?
thanks

Don't waste your time with those. When your tires aren't cuttin it then those won't help much. Just get some chains and use them when it's really bad. People make a big deal about them, but they can be put on in just a few minutes at the most and give you the most aided traction.

thanks!

Les Schwab sells an identical chain to the RUD in 315R75/16 as RUD doesn't make anything larger than 33" chains. Plus Schwab has a money back guarantee if you don't use them you can return them for 100% refund...but I carry mine with me.

Or here: http://www.tirechain.com/315-75R16.htm

FYI: Bill Burke sells the RUD chains.

thanks guys! spress thanks for the link

In my personal experience those things are junk

They lasted at goofer dunes mud run for about 3 mins, not worth 150 bucks that's for sure

Regarding the "slip, grip, slip, grip" comment, I was referring to the rubber chain thingies.

I've seen these in action. They seem to slip, grip, slip, grip. I wonder whether that would put a lot of strain on the drivetrain.

The SnoClaws or the chains above?

I will vouch for the Trygg's I posted above. They're the s***. Plus, they're about 50% lighter than most steel chains. FWIW, Trygg chains are what loggers use on skidders, forwarders, etc in the woods. Tried and true. :cheers:

so what style on the above posted link? http://www.tirechain.com/315-75R16.htm

I've read great reviews on thule chains especially on the expedition portal. I'm not sure if they come in 315's though.

I prefer the Diamond style as it also provides side slip/off-camber resistance/traction and is relatively easy/quick to install without having to move the rig forward or back to mount. For off-road/aggressive use you want to go with a chain with the largest links you can fit. Fit is the issue that forces compromise. On my 100 for instance I have just enough clearance (with 1" wheel spacers up front) to utilize the 4.5mm link between the steering knuckle and the tire/chain...otherwise I would have preferred a 7-8mm chain. I would like, however, to be able to run a larger link for the additional strength and traction...but don't have adequate clearance.

FYI: The Diamond style (can't remember the brand) I purchased from Les Schwab have square edge links...which provide a little better bite than round edge links...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom