01 3rd gen 4Runner Power antenna replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
Well, it broke... just like the one in the 90 4Runner we used to have. The plastic geared push rod snaps near the end and the antenna goes up, but not all the way and the motor just runs untill you pull it up.

I asked here about changing to a regular whip antenna, and was given this link:

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/whip/index.html

That looked like a lot of work... So I got a new OEM one off ebay for $25 shipped.

First step, is to remove the tire, so you have room to remove the front trim of the running board. There's 2 nuts from the bottom, and 2 screws from in the wheel well.
f.JPG
g.JPG
h.JPG

Next step: Remove the antenna. I used a flat blade screwdriver to unscrew the top crome trim ring (Always pull towards yourself so you don't slip and scratch the paint) and there's one 10 mm bolt holding the bottom end in place.
i.JPG
j.JPG
k.JPG

You need to remove the antenna assembly, because if it broke.... then it left parts inside, see broken rod in the plastic ring thing.

If you wanted to just replace it as PM, you could do the whole job just by removing the chrome ring on top, and pulling it out. And it would take 2 minutes instead of 30...
l.JPG
m.JPG
n.JPG

Last edited:
Once the chrome ring is off, you can remove the old "mast" by turning on the stereo and selecting a setting that will extend the antenna, as it does this, just pull it out.

Once you have the broken peice out of the assembly, installing the new mast is just a matter of turning off the stereo so the motor will start to retract the mast, and as it does this you push the end of the new push rod down the hole...

Make sure the teeth are pointed in the right direction. If the motor is back in the vehicle, then you want the teeth to point forward. If the motor is not installed yet, you want the teeth to point towards the motor on the assembly.

Then put the chrome ring back on, and tighten. Then install the 10mm bolt, and put the rest back together.

Clear as Mud right? :D
o.JPG
p.JPG

Last edited:
sweet. I need to do this soon. Thanks for the play by play!

Beautiful writeup. Thanks for investing the time! Good example of what the FAQ could/should be.

I'm at 89k and mine is out. It goes up, but does not go down on its own. If I push it down slightly, it starts to go down. So I believe the first few teeth in the gears have broken off.

However, I am going to take the "hard road" and install a Tacoma Whip. I do not feel like changing out the antenna ever again and the constant up and down thing was starting to get annoying anyway.

I need to get on this before it gets too cold. :D

I just disconnected mine when it started to make noise. The antenna in the rear window works good enough by itself that I don't miss the one in the front.

thanks for the write up and the pictures- that is most helpful for those of us non- mechanically inclined

I just disconnected mine when it started to make noise. The antenna in the rear window works good enough by itself that I don't miss the one in the front.

Aftermarket? Or is that the thing on the rear pass side window? I thought it was another defroster thing... that would have been good too....

thanks for the write up and the pictures- that is most helpful for those of us non- mechanically inclined

I like pics too, especially close-up good ones! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom