Hand winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone out there use a hand winch? I am looking specifically at the More Power Puller. I have seen the Black Rat tirfor type, but it is very expensive imop for what it is. The power puller comes in 2 and 3 ton varieties. The only thing tnhat concerns me is that the 3 ton model only comes with 20 ft of cable. Anyone actually use one of these things to extract a HEAVY vehicle?

I've read nothing but good things about them, but wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience using one for vehicle extraction.

I have one of the 3 ton models and have only used it once with my FJ60. How well the Power Puller works is going to depend on the situation, how badly stuck you are. The More Power Puller is the Hi-Lift equivalent of the come-a-long.

I have a 2 ton model and it works great. It is not pretty, but it has pulled me out of some deep trouble. Cheaper than a winch and I can pull from multiple directions. I'd say it has saved me from a long walk at least a dozen times.

Tirfor vs power puller

I didnt think too much of the tirfors until I found one at a yard sale for 100 bucks. I have the tu 28 model. It is phenomenal. It has no ratchet so you dont have to support the load to the next notch on the ratchet. You can move the handle just a little and it still operates. It also works in both directions (ie the cable pulls in no matter which way you move the handle) so its twice as fast as the come along. The rope capacity is endless so you could carry whatever length you need. Its also much easier to switch from forward to reverse. You dont even have to touch the unit, just swap the handle to the reverse lever. You never feel like you are supporting the load so lowering a load is a snap. Its also safer as the handle will never go flying if your hands should slip between notches on the ratchet. Its an awesome tool I HIGHLY recommend. Comparing a tirfor to a power-pull is like comparing a harbor freight tool to a snap on. HUGE difference. Best, most versitile piece of recovery equipment I own.

Last edited:
I have a 23 year old More Power Puller (We called it a Red Devil).

This thing has been through hell and back and still works perfectly. Just last year I ordered parts to spruce it up and make it safer. After years of hard use the frame hook had actually started to straighten out! See first Pic.

The Wyeth-Scott Co. Established 1906

I ordered a new 20' 5/16 cable for the spool with a new hook and reel attachment, an extension cable with pre-crimped ends, new frame hook, and a new handle. See second pic.

While no replacement for a real winch, they are far more versatile. I use it for many other things besides getting unstuck. They are great for winching vehicles onto trailers, loading large logs onto trailers and the last thing I used it for, lifting my frame up while I attached the front axle. I highly recommend this hand winch.
RedDevil1.jpg
PA120002W.jpg

Does anyone out there use a hand winch? I am looking specifically at the More Power Puller. I have seen the Black Rat tirfor type, but it is very expensive imop for what it is. The power puller comes in 2 and 3 ton varieties. The only thing tnhat concerns me is that the 3 ton model only comes with 20 ft of cable. Anyone actually use one of these things to extract a HEAVY vehicle?

The More Power Puller is an excellent product. My FIL has one...and after using his, I'll be getting one for myself soon.

The 3 ton model can be ordered with more than 20 ft. of cable on it. They sell it with 20' because people somehow manage to "pinch" the cable when reeling it in with more than that amount on it. But you can specify a longer length if you like.

Remember, the rated "pull" for their winches are "dead lift", which means its a true account of what the tool is capable of.

I'm NOT recommending you exceed the rated pull on the winch...but the "handle" is the built in safety feature. It is designed to bend/give when the rated pull has been surpassed.

Just saying, a stronger handle would allow you more pull than they state....but you wouldn't want to exceed the design "safety factor" or working load limits of the other component parts. So...again, "NOT recommending this".

Off the record....It will handle much more than the rated amount. The weakest point happens to be the the rear hook that began to straighten out in the above photo... The handle will eventually begin to fatigue and bend over, afterall it is aluminum.... that takes years of heavy use. As for a heavy vehicle, a late 70's Blazer converted to 3/4 ton running gear stuck in axle deep mud on a slope... It required 2 guys to move the handle on a single line pull (which was done to gain the required pull distance), the handle did not bend. I can't count how stupid stucks mine got me out of. It takes time but it will get you out... which is better than walking out.

they really are junk compared to a tirfor though. I have both, the power puller is going in the next yard sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom