Newbie cruiser girl with new FJ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello

This is my first post, but I have been lurking here for several months gathering info and just reading about FJ's.

My husband and I, over the last year, talked about purchasing a fun vehicle for the family. We had a CJ before the kids, and wanted to get another one. We happened to be at the drive in this summer and an FJ pulled up next to us. Needless to say the Jeep idea went out the window. My mind was set on an FJ.

I spent the last few months scouring e-bay, the paper, and craigslist. My husband did say that he would not buy something that he could not drive and see in person so e-bay was mainly to see what was out there, and to see what they were worth.

I came across a few locally, but many were way more than I wanted to pay. We test drove one, but it was a vehicle that was pieced together and it did not feel solid. I ran across an ad back in August, but the owner had the FJ in his shop and had not driven it in over a year. He called back and said it would not turn over, so he had it towed to a local FJ "guru." We finally got to see her and wow, that was exactly what we were looking for. Mostly stock, interior all original and good solid body with minimal rust. Of all the FJ colors it was olive brown (or is it green), my favorite! The color reminds me of rustic things and the 70's.

PO agreed to have some hoses replaced, fixed a door handle, and put in a new master cylinder. The parts finally arrived (on a very slow boat from Japan) and she was ready.

We picked her up on Sat. we spent Sunday cleaning the inside. Took the seats out and vacuumed out all the junk from under the seats. It is amazing how much junk piles up in 30 years. I don't think anyone ever took the seats out! Our girls had fun counting up all the change we collected.

I will post better pictures when I get her outside in the sun. I took this one tonight in the garage.

I drove her for the first time last night. (Did I mention I can't drive a standard) My wonderful husband said I did well..... I just need more practice before going out myself.

The outside looks great, (needs hood windshield bumpers) we will slowly work on the interior..... she needs a new headliner, new jump seat covers, surface rust in interior sanded down and repainted or rhino lined, inside ambulance doors and front doors need refininshing, fix horn, refinish seat brackets, and rear heater.

Thanks to all on this site.... I am addicted.... My husband tells me he is off the hook for Christmas, Birthday, and anniversary presents for the next 10 years or so.

If you see a future post from me, please forgive my lack of knowledge on FJ's, we are teachers and no nothing on fixing them up..... we will be giving it our best and this site is great resource.

Thanks
Michelle :bounce:
FJ 003.jpg

Nice looking rig. Welcome:flipoff2:

Congrats, and Welcome to the madness! :flipoff2:

Congratulations on a fantastic purchase. Your new FJ40 looks great.

Be sure to visit the Technical Links and CruiserFAQ at the top of the page and join your local TLCA Chapter! Don't forget to buy a silver star to support MUD and then you can post as many pics as you want.

You have made what looks to be a very nice informed purchase.

Welcome to the sickness.

welcome to the dark side.

dodo brown is a awesome color.

Looks like you got a nice looking 40.
Get ready to have a great time and spend alot more money on ur junk than you ever expected.

Your gonna have a great time and will meet some great people.

Have Fun.

GET OUT THERE AND GET IT DRITY!!!!!!Poor thing sitting there all clean like that how could you!! really nice find guy's ....There is no cure for the sickness welcome. AND STOP WASHING THAT THING!!!!

Looks like a pretty clean rig. Nice purchase. Welcome to mud!

:cheers:

nice

what's that strange reflection---oh shiny paint, must be nice:crybaby:

Nice looking rig and welcome!:)

Welcome to MUD Michelle.

Too cool. A cool truck, and a woman. What a great combo. IT is a weird sickness, and it doesn't get better with time. Good luck, and welcome aboard.

BTW-Very nice, and very clean Land Cruiser. The mechanical stuff is easy, you got lucky.

My husband tells me he is off the hook for Christmas, Birthday, and anniversary presents for the next 10 years or so.

Not quite, but with the number of catalogs from parts suppliers and aftermarket vendors you will soon have laying around your house, shopping for Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries is going to be EASY from now on. He'll just have to look for the pages with the most drool marks and order whatever is there. :)

that looks like a great truck

if you ever find your way south, stop by :cheers:

BTW - husbands are useful but half the time you can do it better ;p cruisers like to be LOVED :grinpimp:

better learn to drive shift real fast - it's the one theft deterrent that really works :flipoff2:

Nice rig! :bounce:You did good girl!!!:bounce2:
Oh, and welcome to MUD!:flipoff2:

Just remember what e rock said about aftermarket cat's and put stars by the things you want most.

nice clean looking rig! Good luck with your buildup and have fun with it.

Oh, since nobody has done it yet.....:flipoff2: (the official Mud welcome)

Hello

Snip... (Did I mention I can't drive a standard)

Holey moley.

mx4white said:
My wonderful husband said I did well..... I just need more practice before going out myself.

You either have a really nice bezel :eek: or a very patient husband... or both!

mx4white said:
My husband tells me he is off the hook for Christmas, Birthday, and anniversary presents for the next 10 years or so.

Tell your husband to keep dreaming!

Oh... refer to your cruiser as "the 40". Or on a bad day, that ":censor: 40"! An FJ is a different animal altogether.

Welcome and dive in. The water is fine! Be prepared for a little fun poking and some good old fashioned abuse.

:flipoff2:

sweeeeet. They are easy to work on. Get a factory manual.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom