Best Grease Gun Ever Contest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rsbcruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
With 16 grease zerks stock from the factory the FJs' need a quality grease gun. The demand becomes even more apparent with the addition of aftermarket gear such as greasable shackles and greasable door hinges (what you say, door hinges?). My 74 FJ-55 is heading for a total of 26 Zerks. With that many or more possible, the best tool for the job becomes a serious matter warranting deep thought and disscusion. So here it is, a forum to iron out this issue. Please submit a picture along with a brief description telling us why you think your grease gun is the best. To kick it off I throw in my old timey Allstate. It has the classic good looks of a standard along with a flex hose and low clearance head to fit those hard to reach nipples. Ok, I just had to get head and nipple into the same sentence. I myself vote for the OEM Toyota grease gun. (n2666s) showed me his! Come on lets see it again N2666s. Trollhole bite this one fish on! Gotta see that much ballyhooed Lincoln. Community vote wins it. Prize? maybe a couple greasable hinge pins, I don't know, Forget it guys, not giving away the beasty no way! Get that evil thought out of your curmudginy heads right now!
greeze gun.jpg

Dont have a pic of mine handy right now. Heres a link, http://www.tylertool.com/lincoln.html

Works great on heavy equipment, esp when you have to adjust tension in tracked vehicles. If you are stuck in a position that isnt muscle motor friendly its a breeze to use. I work with a lot of fittings so the price was worth it. I did have an aip powered one, didnt work if compressor wasnt working. Had OBA just going thru that many cycles was and not being able to use impact at same time was annoying.

Tried lots of different brands and styles - got sick and tied of broken or unpurgable guns
After some research came across Alemite - wish I had found them years ago...

Alemite
Easy to load
Very easy to purge air
Excellent Quality pump

This is the only grease gun I have ever used where loading of cartridges is clean and easy. The cartridge holder on this gun is actually several inches longer than the cartridge thereby allowing the spring/plunger assembly to compress completely out of the way and easy installation of
a new cartridge
http://www.alemite.com/catalog/details.aspx?identifier=guns_professional
500-EGG.jpg

Last edited:
The best has to be the full pneumatic gun on the retractable hose reel. With the needle point installed, I could hit the service manager on the back of the neck from across the shop and just say "oops, it must have slipped off the zerk fitting". I'm sure that there are still a lot of grease wads stuck on the ceiling.

Mo' grease guns

Don't know if it's the best grease gun, but it's a Toyota one. Found it in one of my scrounging-searches new in the box. Haven't used it, as I have a pnuematic I use with a small compressor. Seems like I need three hands with the hand pump...especially on the U-joints and transfer linkage fittings. FWIW, a pic of the Yamada....
DSC00884r.JPG

Try greasing a backhoe, or excavator.

The one I've found that works best is a pistol grip with a flex hose.
grease-gun.jpg

Pretty good one.

I found a tool kit in my '74 FJ55 when I got it.Not sure if it's the original kit for the truck but I assume it is.The tools appeared to be used with damage to the screw drivers.The wrench set and the tire iron looked great.

Then I pulled this out of its side compartment.Still wrapped up and protected from the elements.I may be the first person to touch it since the factory tool kit guy in Japan.:D
TB 4.jpg
TB 6.jpg
TB 7.jpg

I found a tool kit in my '74 FJ55 when I got it.Not sure if it's the original kit for the truck but I assume it is.The tools appeared to be used with damage to the screw drivers.The wrench set and the tire iron looked great.

Then I pulled this out of its side compartment.Still wrapped up and protected from the elements.I may be the first person to touch it since the factory tool kit guy in Japan.:D

I have one of those too.
The best grease gun for me is the Lincoln brand that you can operate with one hand. It does not have the long lever to pump. Like the one Cookiemonster posted up ^^^.

Have my old Lincoln that is so old it was made before cartriges, retired now but once in a while when there is a damn fitting that is very difficult to get to.....will bring her messy self out.........have acouple of newer cartrige Gguns that I use a lot, a mini and a regular sized one both Lincoln's with flexible spouts...........Alemites are nice also; the compressed air Gguns are nice but need the compressed air source and for me personally it is more conveniant to grab the manual..........anyone have experience with a compressed air powered grease gun injury?..........that is another thing that makes me shy away from them; just my chicken selfpreservation

Lou

Have my old Lincoln that is so old it was made before cartriges, retired now but once in a while when there is a damn fitting that is very difficult to get to.....will bring her messy self out.........have acouple of newer cartrige Gguns that I use a lot, a mini and a regular sized one both Lincoln's with flexible spouts...........Alemites are nice also; the compressed air Gguns are nice but need the compressed air source and for me personally it is more conveniant to grab the manual..........anyone have experience with a compressed air powered grease gun injury?..........that is another thing that makes me shy away from them; just my chicken selfpreservation

Lou
Thanks guys. Looks to me like crusher is the winner for suggesting the Alemite pistol grip with flex hose. Maybe add a low clearance tip too it. 71FJ40s' description of the Alemites functionality? (inventing new words here) sold me on it. As far as the powered units, it seems to me they lean more to the profesional user. Although, If you own several Cruisers, its' relatively easy to be blessed with over a hundred zerks ! Making the powered units seem, at least rational for a home mechanic. Need FJ-55 greasable hinges crusher?

Bahhh Humbug. We all know the OEM Toyota is the best.:flipoff2:

I don't use it but it sure makes a great conversation piece.

How many people could you show a grease gun to and they say "Hey that is really cool"

Tried lots of different brands and styles - got sick and tied of broken or unpurgable guns

Alemite
Easy to load
Very easy to purge air
Excellent Quality pump

This is the only grease gun I have ever used where loading of cartridges is clean and easy. The cartridge holder on this gun is actually several inches longer than the cartridge thereby allowing the spring/plunger assembly to compress completely out of the way and easy installation of
a new cartridge

I bought this one from alemite and it doesn't work s**t. almost impossible to purge and only push out grease on random occasion... It was cheap, i guess i should have bought a manul for the same price....

http://www.alemite.com/catalog/details.aspx?identifier=guns_special&pid=F100&detailpage=true

Wo, need to pay more attention to the categories. Looks like we got moved. Ya, sorry Trollhole, Memories of struggling with operational and reloading of the old style side pump pulls toward the pistol grip Alemite like an FJ-40 climbs trails. Looks as if voting favors the pistol grip and the Alemite. Gotta admit though. Nothing cooler than the stock OEM Toyota grease gun still in its' packaging. Sorta like having a pre 64 model 70 in the box. Ah function. The essence of Cruiser, Heaven forbid though, someone would make a decision relating to their Cruiser based on an emotional criteria. Such as, keeping a stocker FJ-55 just because you like it.

Alemite
Easy to load
Very easy to purge air
Excellent Quality pump

a new cartridge
That is what i have:). Clearence 16 bucks

my dad has a trucking and excavating business and they just switched all the manual grease guns to the cordless Bosch I think these things kick ass! We tried air powered and had some interesting blow outs. the ones we had been using for years was the pistol grip ones. the ones with the long handle and fixed hose suck!

Also use good quality grease nipples the cheap ones from the dollar store tend to lose the ball very quickly.

Mo' grease guns

Don't know if it's the best grease gun, but it's a Toyota one. Found it in one of my scrounging-searches new in the box. Haven't used it, as I have a pnuematic I use with a small compressor. Seems like I need three hands with the hand pump...especially on the U-joints and transfer linkage fittings. FWIW, a pic of the Yamada....
View attachment 178619
Do you know where to find these? Looking for one or if your selling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom