lug nut spins on stud-best way to remove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The threads on my lugnut seem to have been striped while removing it from the stud. Now it is spinning on the stud near the tip of the stud. I was wondering what would be the best solution for removing the lugnut without damaging the stud. It is an open ended lugnut, not the acorn type. Thanks for the advice!

pry on the nut wile backing it off, lady's foot is a good tool here,

stud is probably toast anyway,

You sure the stud isn't spinning too? Sounds like the splines on the stud are gone.

Either way, you might try removing the other 5 nuts, then somehow apply pressure to the stuck nut, forcing it away from the hub. You might be able to do it by pulling the wheel away from the hub, or making some kind of two-tined fork that could get around the nut and pry it outward while you turn it. Clear as mud?

-Spike

If the above fail, a nut splitter.

If the above fail, a nut splitter.

You know, the above is probably destined to fail, I think Kliers has it right. If the splines are gone it's probably because the nut was threaded wrong to begin with. If so, no amount of prying is gonna give you enough friction to get that sucker loose.

-Spike

Funny you should mention this, I though I was the only one with this problem.
This weekend I put my new springs on. I got 3 of the tires off with no problem but the last one was messed up. I just had new tires put on and I don’t know if they over tightened things or cross threaded the nuts/studs, but I broke 3 of the studs while trying to get the nuts off and stripped 2 of them…1 came of clean.

I was working in my father in laws garage because he has all the tools. He wasn’t there yet to I was working with a lug wrench and a set of vise grips trying to get it off. I tried everything I could (with what I had) to get that thing off. I worked for about 45 mins and then he showed up, started the compressor, got out the air gun, we pulled the tire so there was a little pressure on the back of the stripped nut and in about 2 seconds, literally, it just popped off.

I replaced all of the nuts and studs. Once they are messed like that you would have to force them together and go through the same thing next time too if you didn’t fix it now.

Last edited:
Long time ago.....
I had a buddy who had a similiar problem on an old plymouth. One side is left hand thread the other is right or something like that. Anyway, he didn't know this and put the impact to it and stripped the nuts.

He double nutted one of them and went for a drive. I followed him in my truck, after a couple of corners the stripped nuts lossened right up and the tire began to wobble against the hub. Meanwhile I was frantically honking my horn and screaming for him to stop before the tire fell off.

It worked, but I don't recommend it. We were actually just trying to get the beast to a better equiped garage down the road with some better tools (and better mechanics).

But hey, it worked. Call it the hillbilly solution, or dumb teenage luck.

nut splitter is what i'd do

nut splitter is what i'd do

What, you don't like the leave-the-nuts-loose-and-drive-it-'till-the-wheel-falls-off method? Wuss.

-Spike

What, you don't like the leave-the-nuts-loose-and-drive-it-'till-the-wheel-falls-off method? Wuss.

-Spike

do it arizona-style? naw...not in this case, I think he wants to keep the tire/wheel in good shape

:D

do it arizona-style? :D

Oh, that hurt Kali-boy. According to statistics, at some point in your life you will move here, then we'll see who's laughing. :flipoff2:

-Spike

Just an update, I was going to use a grinder, but didn't have too much clearence from the axle or the wheel rims. I was going to use a pnuematic cut off wheel but found my nut splitter. My nut splitter didn't split the nut but it grab it enough pull it off the stud as I torqued it harder trying to split it. It was mangled at the tip of the stud and the nut.
This vehicle was a Corolla but I figure I'll get more post responses in the 80's section :) seeing that they are all pretty much the same principle. Thanks again for all the great ideas.

Deceptive interloper, be gone.

I feel dirty now. :D

-Spike

Thank goodness it wasn't for my Yugo! Then you really would need counseling. :) .

BTW, a few taps on the stud and it pop right out. Glad didn't I have to remove the hub to smack it hard. Now to figure out whether to change all of them. It seems that lug nuts should be changed often when metal shaving of the softer metal lugs clog up the threads of the stud and lugs( that's why there wasn't 12mm x1.5 lugs at one store!). This makes determining whether the lugs are going in straight alot easier. The new lugs that I put, spun right in, not like the old ones. Cleaning the thread of the with a toothbrush also clears the metal shavings, making cross threading less likely. Thanks again everybody!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom