chainsaw troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
My Husqvarna does not want to start. It ran great yesterday but wouldn't start later in the day and still won't this morning. Here's what I've checked.

-Spark - good
-Fuel filter - good
-Fuel arriving at carb - good
-Air filter - good
-Compression - good
-Chain brake - good

I tried using starter fluid but it still wouldn't start at all. The chain move freely on the bar and the brake appears to be working correctly.

It's always been a good starter and is less than a year old.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

(As a side note - I really should have taken advice and used a local mom and pop rather than buying it from Lowe's. Even though I had a gift card for Lowe's it has not been worth the hassle of dealing with their 30-day return policy. Despite showing them receipts detailing my purchases of $3k there in the last week they would not let me return or exchange the saw and treated me like crud through the whole process. From now on I'll only purchase outdoor power tools from places who have the ability to make exceptions to the policies that their store manager has tatooed on his forehead.)

Last edited:
How many hours have you run it/tanks of fuel used since purchase?

Not starting w/good spark etc: does it 'try' to start (cough a little) or does it seem as tho it's not even catching? Sometimes a quick cleaning of the spark plug tip helps.

Another thing you could try is to start it w/o air filter on. If it runs then get it to idle smoothly before replacing filter.

Find a husky dealer & have them troubleshoot it. Husky warranty might still cover even tho big box won't touch it.

Good luck! HTH

I would try another Lowes and speak to the store manager. I had a problem once on a craftsman chain saw. I would not start, I took it apart and saw that a piece of small wood was stuck on the reed valve keeping it open.

Triple check the chain brake. I'm not saying this to be a smartass and I know you probably did, but several times I thought mine was off and after I did troubleshooting on everything else, I went back to the chain brake and it was on when I thought it was off. :cheers:

I would try another Lowes and speak to the store manager. I had a problem once on a craftsman chain saw. I would not start, I took it apart and saw that a piece of small wood was stuck on the reed valve keeping it open.
Is the plug wet after pulling on it awhile? I've also had issues on reed valves.

Where's D' Animal when you need him?

What model husky is it?

Will it start or sputter as you play with the choke? Sounds like a simple carb issue to me but you may have blown a seal that caused an air leak big enough it won't run.

Update

What model husky is it?

Will it start or sputter as you play with the choke? Sounds like a simple carb issue to me but you may have blown a seal that caused an air leak big enough it won't run.

Model 142.

Ended up taking it to the wty service center. Everthing checked out, including the proper fuel mixture, until he checked the compression. It was 1/3 of the min factory spec. Piston is likely toast. The tech had to call Husky so I'm waiting to hear back.

In the meantime, today I went to a local independent Stihl dealer. As an act of personal revenge against Lowe's and Husky I purchased a MS-290-18 Stihl Farm Boss. I'm sure the Husky will be fixed under warranty but I've already wasted enough time screwing around with it and have a large cutting project ot get done. I'll have the Husky fixed and then ebay it.

-Compression - good

I thought you said the compression was good!? How did you check it initially? One of my saws is a farm boss. Great saw, it pulls a 24" bar pretty well in soft wood (full skip of course).

truly...

I'm trying to figure out how a 1yr Husky pukes a piston :confused:

Please tell us what they find

love my 455 Rancher Tool-less
H110-0115.gif

I thought you said the compression was good!? How did you check it initially?

I checked it but did not have the correct factory spec to compare it to.

truly...

I'm trying to figure out how a 1yr Husky pukes a piston :confused:

Please tell us what they find

love my 455 Rancher Tool-less
H110-0115.gif

I had the same question until I learned that the e-142 sold at Lowe's is really a Poulan with the Husky name on it - Apparently an attempt to take advantage of their brand reputation but still be able to sell a $199 saw at Lowe's. I could have saved myself some money and bought a $99 Poulan at Walmart that would have been just as equally crappy. :mad:

The 455 Rancher is nice. If it hadn't been for my experience with Husky and their overpriced Poulan 142 I would have considered it since it's actually made by Husky.

my 455 starts with the chain brake on what's the dealio?

Can't a piston get f'd in a year by running it in really dirty conditions thereby sucking a bunch of crap into the saw past the filter and scoring the piston?

As far as rebranded Poulan, stay away for sure. Get a real Husky and you'll be happy. Stihls kick some ass too though....044, 066, etc. I bought an 80s-90s Husky 181 XP from KliersLC for $150 and it runs like a raped ape.

Electrolux of Sweden owns:

Husqvarna
Poland
Partner
Pioneer
Jobu
Johnsered
McCullough (Titan Series)
Komatsu Zenoa (Redmax)

All of this product is sold under the Husqvarna name and much of it is in Sears and the fast movers are sold in Lowes.

Not pre-mixing the right amount of 2cycle oil can cause a piston to go out in a year.

Electrolux of Sweden owns:

Husqvarna
Poland
Partner
Pioneer
Jobu
Johnsered
McCullough (Titan Series)
Komatsu Zenoa (Redmax)

All of this product is sold under the Husqvarna name and much of it is in Sears and the fast movers are sold in Lowes.
How's the leaf blower exhange thing going?
Any talk on the horrizon of putting 4-strokers in our saws?

Not pre-mixing the right amount of 2cycle oil can cause a piston to go out in a year.
That is very true...

I live by another rule also, don't lend your saws to anyone. I've got a husky 51 that I loaned w/ a new batch of fuel mix to an ex-employee. After runng though my mix, it was fed straight gas.:mad:

And then there was the person that borrowed my backup saw and was too cheap to go buy a gallon of fuel (I gave them the 2cycle oil), and thought they otta use up that mix that was in the garage for two years...

I live by another rule also, don't lend your saws to anyone.

There are certain things you don't want to loan out. Wife, underwear, welder, and good tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom