Someone stuck a diesel in my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I have been hearing a loud rattle under my truck since a trip down to Attica in June. It sounds like someone stuck a Cummins in there.
Apparantly somebody snuck into my driveway at night and bashed my catalytic converter with a rock. The media inside is broken up and rattling. Time to replace them with catco cats that will fit better with the sliders.
The same vandal also bent the snot out of my exhuast. While it still passes gas OK and doesn't leak, it rattles. Might be time to find a better route that doesn't require so many passes under the frame.
A big part of me says fix it with parts that work the way I want them to work. Another part says that Toyota's are the best made trucks out there and the exhaust has been no exception. 115K miles and it's in great shape other than damage caused by abuse.

Loose nut behind the wheel?............... ::)

Tell me more about these Catco Cats. Do they still use two large vertical cats or can it be reduced to one for the whole exhaust system. I want a one cat system so that the exhaust is less prone to overheating during long periods of idleing in the winter time. Any ideas???

I have been hearing a loud rattle under my truck since a trip down to Attica in June. It sounds like someone stuck a Cummins in there.
Apparantly somebody snuck into my driveway at night and bashed my catalytic converter with a rock. The media inside is broken up and rattling. Time to replace them with catco cats that will fit better with the sliders.
The same vandal also bent the snot out of my exhuast. While it still passes gas OK and doesn't leak, it rattles. Might be time to find a better route that doesn't require so many passes under the frame.
A big part of me says fix it with parts that work the way I want them to work. Another part says that Toyota's are the best made trucks out there and the exhaust has been no exception. 115K miles and it's in great shape other than damage caused by abuse.

I think I'm suffering from the same problem. What's the latest word on replacement cats?

Time to ACTUALLY put a diesel in there...

That same scum sucking vandal hit my truck as well!
I like the idea of replacing the two large rock magnets with one smaller, higher flow unit. How do you deal with the two O2 sensors with only one cat?

How do you deal with the two O2 sensors with only one cat?

you can get a dummy o2 sensor, probably from summit as well.

Summit does not sell them. Used to carry Caspers Electronics who had them, but Casper's ran across some issues with the emissions people.

my recollection (hazy) is that in some states like the PRK, one must use OEM cats to pass smog certification...

my recollection (hazy) is that in some states like the PRK, one must use OEM cats to pass smog certification...

I don't have inspection of any kind here in the Heart of Dixie, but I would like to make the rattle go away.

My understanding is that a single cat will work, as long as it's a three-way catalytic converter. If properly set up, it shouldn't throw a CEL.

True of false?

Someone stuck a diesel in my 80

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2: it was the good men at toyota

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom