Official Ham install pic thread - post 'em up! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
Hey, in celebration of the newly created "electronic toys" forum, let's see some installs of your Ham radios in your Cruisers...

Ok I'll start: Yaesu FT-8800, purchased at the recommendation of several. So far very happy with what it does, but still have a lot to learn. Put the main unit under the cup holder on the center console, ran the remote wire under the console and t-case hump then mounted the faceplate under the ashtray, more or less.
ham_install2.jpg
ham_install3.jpg
ham_install1.jpg

And using my special powers of fabrication I have made myself some custom handset holders for the console.. :grinpimp:

yes I can also make you one, not now, but soon.. but please don't ask for them yet, or here.. but this is what they look like:
switch_cb3.jpg
switch_cb4.jpg
switch_cb5.jpg

Dang ! nackman looking good!

Here is a similar set up.
7800 mounted in left aft cargo panel.
Remote speaker on left aft hand hold.
Comet antenna on a diamond hatch mount.
Face mounted on center pedistal.
P1010010.jpg
P1010003.jpg
P1010006.jpg

A while back I needed to get my VHF up and running quickly, so I temporarily mounted it to the top of my dash with Velcro. Once I go to get my new Alpine stereo installed, the VHF will be remounted in the dash below the new stereo:

CBSetup1.jpg

Nice. How did you mount the face on the pedestal?

Through the magic of velcro, I opted not to use the faceplate mount and stuck it right to the pedistal. works great so far.

ken

Garmin GPS V on sand bag mount on dash

Sony XPlod 5500 MP3 Changer

Midland Weather Band CB 115

Icom IC28H 2 Meter rig w/ a Wilson 2MTR mag mount 5/8 wave whip
(soon to be replaced by a Kenwood TMV7A dual band and some sort of lip mount foldable antenna)

You can't see the laptop mount in the picture. It comes up from the console and swings side to side and forward to back. I'm thinking of getting another ball for it and making it mount in the rear seat too. I'm thinking a full length center console with 4 bucket seats.
radios (Small).JPG

Wow, sweet stuff! 450Ken, you worried about airflow with the main unit tucked in the corner back there? probably nbd..

There should be enough space in there for circulation, I put some small holes through the wall @ the mount location. Some air can get through the removable panel as well. I think when it really starts to warm up Im going to throw some thermo barrier on top of the Dynamat and Install a 1 1/2 " hole @ the fan inlet location though the cargo wall. Plus I have some really cool Aluminum grate material I need to use.

ken

Garmin GPS V on sand bag mount on dash

Sony XPlod 5500 MP3 Changer

Midland Weather Band CB 115

Icom IC28H 2 Meter rig w/ a Wilson 2MTR mag mount 5/8 wave whip
(soon to be replaced by a Kenwood TMV7A dual band and some sort of lip mount foldable antenna)

You can't see the laptop mount in the picture. It comes up from the console and swings side to side and forward to back. I'm thinking of getting another ball for it and making it mount in the rear seat too. I'm thinking a full length center console with 4 bucket seats.

Gin, I've been looking into the Kenwood tmv7va and everyone complains that you can't see s*** when it comes to day time use in the truck b/c of the same cool blue illumination that I want to buy it for...it's functions are great too.lol

Gin, I've been looking into the Kenwood tmv7va and everyone complains that you can't see s*** when it comes to day time use in the truck b/c of the same cool blue illumination that I want to buy it for...it's functions are great too.lol

I think I'm going to mount the controller up by the mirror. I think I'm going to do the same with my GPS. I don't have the radio yet, it is supposed to be here this week. I believe the TMV7A's replacement is going to have an amber screen. I really didn't want this radio, but it has lots of options and was a good deal. I wanted the 700AG but I was having a bit of a rough time justifying spending $500 on a radio for somebody who doesn't really know what they are doing. I still have yet to talk to somebody and it has been almost 2 months since I got my license. Also on the TMV7A there are two versions. One has a black bezel and one has a purple bezel. The ones with the purple bezel supposedly have a better display.

I installed my setup after passing my test today. I still need to clean up the cable routing a bit and put clips for the mic in.

I installed the radio on top of the Safari Drawers and am tthinking I don't need to run an external speaker, but I ran the cable to the front just in case. I can always plug headphones into it as well:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

I velcroed the Head Unit to the bottom of the CB with the bottom resting on the CB external speaker.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have anough antenna cable that I don't need an extension.

attachment.php

Here is the stuff I bought. And thanks to firsttoy on the heads up not to buy the seperation kit when you can buy the cables for $15 on ebay.

FT-7800R -- Yaesu FT-7800R 2M/70CM Dual Band FM Transceiver. Wide Receive of 108-520MHz and 700-999MHz (Cell Blocked). NOAA Weather Alert. Illuminated keypad & microphone.

K400CNMO -- NMO Deluxe mount. w/6.5' RG-316 Teflon coax & PL259.

SBB-5NMO -- Comet 2M/70cm Mobile Antenna (Black), 3.0/5.5 Gain, 38" Length, NMO Connector

Last edited:
Looks good, Romer! One thing with the external speaker jack it it's either or.. so either you don't have a cable plugged into the main unit and the main speaker works, or you do have something plugged in and the speaker in the main unit is disabled. Remember it's mono too...

Looks good, Romer! One thing with the external speaker jack it it's either or.. so either you don't have a cable plugged into the main unit and the main speaker works, or you do have something plugged in and the speaker in the main unit is disabled. Remember it's mono too...

Thanks, I currently have the cable routed and sitting next to the unit. I turned it on to see if I could hear anything. Sounds like it should be ok with the existing speaker, but I will have to wait until I can transmitt to really see.

Or weds, you can play with it. Now I have the radio installed and I have no clue how to operate it, yet:D

2m install

Time to install a 2m rig in my 80.

FT1802 - cheap decent starter unit to play with while camping in a week's time. Got to keep the kids happy :)
Nice having all yaesu rigs, I can transfer the same frequency setups using a PC to my HT's and the mobile unit - consistency is a good thing!

First hook up an antenna - similar to the many of the other installs on this site.

ant2.jpg

Hole to run the cable. Popped off the tail light cluster and found a spot to drill that would line up with a spot to fish the cable thru (big hole and then sealed it).

ant1.jpg

I have 3 cig lighter outlets with 3 separate power feeds back to the aux battery (fused in the engine bay). I re-used one of the outlets to run dedicated power to the rig. The outlets come out at the bottom rear of the console, which is where I mounted the rig.

console.jpg

My older son checking out the install.

rigin1.jpg

Yep, looking good and best thing it's accessible to both of my (licensed) kids :)
Easy enough for me to access it too.

rigin2.jpg

cheers,
george.

Dunno about the 7800, but I just installed an FT-8800R in my truck, there is a config setting that you can override the default action, force both internal and external speakers on. I think it would be useful in this install, have one speaker up front on the dash and the other back at the tailgate.

The installs look good.
Here's mine in the FJC. Icom 2720 dual-bans and the 706MKIIG...

I have full details of the install here. It's a little outdated as I've since installed the Bandi antenna mount and a Little Tarheel II with a TurboTuner.

Good to see fellow hams on the board.
73!
2heads.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom