PLEASE!! This horn don't blow it SUCKS!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1977 fj, About a month ago my horn went out and I thought humm, thats great? What happened is the little contact on the steering colum ring bent backwards and was making contact all the time. Of course that drove everyone with in a square mile crazy! I disconnected the horns under the hood. Now I thought what and how can I fix this. well after I pulled off the steering wheel and saw that little metal thing all bent up I said easy fix! unscrew that metal piece flatten it and put it back ! end of story!! NOT!!
I have a dead horn now I have checked the fuses(all of them)I have run wires directly to the horns (they work) then I said I can fix this right now I went to CCOT and bought a new signal switch ring put it on and still nothing!!@#$!! I cleaned out the contacts under the horn buttons on the steering wheel (all three of them)I went directly fron the contact wheel to the horn and grounded it out still nothing(oh yes I did do all of the above first with the key truned off the first time so I did turn the key on and tried it again) I have checked the fuses on both sides of the fuse as well as taken the fuse out to see if the filament is broken, tried to twist the fuse as well, nothing all good ! Someone must have had a simular problem ...Please help
waiting Dennis

Thanks in advance

Did you do anything with the relay?

Did you fry the relay, it is usually mounted by the coil on the passenger fender. It's just a small normal relay, three wires in, colors match those at the horns and at the wheel as I recall.

I may not be getting all that you say in your post, but I have messed with the horn before. On the steering wheel is a small springy contact. On the shaft is a metal ring held on with three screws. The little contact on the wheel makes contact with the ring all the time. You complete the curcuit when you hit the horn button. The ground is in the center of the wheel, and grounds through the steering shaft. If you have made the contact not touch the ring than no worky. Is that what you did???

You beat me Felix, I was going to be the second post, but I messed around too long editing.

You beat me Felix, I was going to be the second post, but I messed around too long editing.

That's the price you pay for constructing an informative post. :D

Denofearth, find any post by Coolerman and check the link in his sig. He's got a great write up on the whole horn system.

Relay?? really!!

I have had some mods done...That being said relay I don't see one on the fender well. There was one on the fire wall but I thought that was for the engine. Which was taken off when I did the engine swap.

Ok!! passanger side got it. I think it got fried before. I had a guy rebuild it about 7-8 years ago
So now that I found the relay...how do I check if it is bad? Can I by pass it to see if it is bad, can I get another? where?
thanks

Ok!! passanger side got it. I think it got fried before. I had a guy rebuild it about 7-8 years ago
So now that I found the relay...how do I check if it is bad? Can I by pass it to see if it is bad, can I get another? where?
thanks

Again, check out Coolman's horn write-up. He goes over how to test the relay. New relays are still available from Toyota. You can get them from CruiserDan, SOR, and maybe your dealer. SOR's price is $24.

Thanks I could not figure out how to find coolerman
Thanks again!

Thanks I could not figure out how to find coolerman
Thanks again!

Using the Advanced Search option, you can find posts or threads started by any particular username.

Be aware the write-up is for a 1971 but pretty sure the horns all work the same for most years in the 70's. Just keep this in mind:

The horn button does nothing but ground one side of the coil on the horn relay. The other side of the coil is tied to terminal B which is +12V through the fuseblock. Get a meter and set it on a low ohms scale. Connect black lead to the battery - terminal, red lead to the S terminal on the horn relay socket. When you push the horn button you should read a very low reading like 2-20 ohms depending on how clean all your contacts are! If you get no change in the reading then the problem is somewhere in the horn switch or the wiring from the column to the relay socket.
To test the relay and horns easily: Plug the relay into the socket. Make a jumper wire to connect from - battery terminal to the S terminal. When you touch the wire to the S terminal the relay should click and the horns should blow. If it does not then the fuse is blown or there is a wiring issue from the fuse block to the socket. Verify with the meter that you have >+12V on the B terminal.

have you checked the horn itself? un bolt it, use a small piece of wire from the tab and place the the mounting bracket on the batt. then touch the wire to other term on batt. horn should blow if not it's probably rusted in side, there is a screw inside that you can loosen and tap/pound it against some thing then try again, and try cleaning it out a little... this worked for me...

Ok like your post said. I took off the relay and took off the casing. boy if it was not bad it should be. there is a black flakey crust around the coil in the relay. I (with my hand) connected the relay to the wires and pressed the connections together...there was my obnoxus horn that I loved. Now if the relay is bad how do I check to see if the rest of the wireing is good. Or do I just go and try to get a relay from Orileys ?

So I guess the questions is this, Can I get a relay from anywhere or do I have to go to cruiserdan or SOR (dealer only relay)

Well the relay is a bit odd, so is a dealer or SOR or CCOT item. Best bet is to find some kind soul to give you one from a junk truck, that's how I got mine!

You can retro-fit a 'normal' relay easily if you don't mind doing a bit of cutting and wiring. I did this for a club member recently.

Dudes!!! thanks a bunch I went to Orieleys and asked if they had a relay and they said ... yes it will be here @ 2 . when I went to bet it it was the right one...AND it worked!!! the horn sounds once again

In all seriousness, thanks guys you saved me. I did not feel safe driving my truck with out a horn. you know not being able to warn those people to get out of my way!
All is good once again in my world

78 horn relay

Not too sure there is one...the wiring diagram for a 78 does not show a relay. I've yet to find one on my 78. Horns are different on a 78...they have two contacts..I found out the hard way by buying a set of horns from a 76, thinking they would all be the same, but they have only one connector. Older horns ground to the body an have a hot line to relay, where the later ones are always hot and are grounded if the button is pushed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

dont worry about fixing your stock horn just buy some like mine:

Shot with K800i at 2007-08-08

running at 145 PSI on a 9L tank and boss compressor it puts out about 210 Db's, haha have lots of fun scaring people with them:D

dont worry about fixing your stock horn just buy some like mine:

Shot with K800i at 2007-08-08

running at 145 PSI on a 9L tank and boss compressor it puts out about 210 Db's, haha have lots of fun scaring people with them:D

You must have printed your picture from the back side of your negative, Everything is on the wrong side of your cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom