Sam's Club gas & poor mileage connection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since November when I moved to AZ. I have been getting poor mileage. Predominantely I have been getting regular gas at Sam's club & I have been getting 8-9 MPG.

Last Sunday Sam's was closed so I went to Mobil I have driven 50 miles since Sunday and the gauge is at the top line of the F (down from about 1/16th above where it lands when full).

On the 8-9 MPG tanks I would be near the 3/4 point after 50 miles.

Does it make sense that Sam's gas would perform this poorly?

I'll say that I've had some bizarre mpg figures at times when travelling and using other than my Normal gas (winter formulation, hydrogenated, different octane...?)

I purchase gas at SAMS for both my Cruiser and my Car. I have not seen poor gas mileage from their fuel.. I only really notice a decrease in mileage when they change over to winter blends.

Summer mileage in the Cruiser 12-16, Winter, 10-12.. Much bigger diff in the car, Summer 24-26, Winter 19-22.... I drive about 700-1000 miles per week so i check ,mileage often and purchase fuel, for the car, at many different outlets and have not noticed a difference. I cant even tell a difference when running higher octain....

I got some 85 octane in Winnemucca one summer that gave my old 80 fits, but we don't have a sams here. Costco gas seems to work just fine.

50 miles is obviously not the beginning of a reasonable data pool but I need to figure out why I went from 11-13 city to 8-9 mostly highway (I was getting 15-16 mostly highway) Oxygenated AZ. gas is one reason but from what I can see it should acount for 1-2 mpg loss not 4-5.

The two changes are I moved from L.A. to Phoenix & I started using primarily Sam's (because I live very close & it is 10-15 cents per gallon less for regular)

I have used Sam's gas for years without incident which is why I am dubious.

I've never had good luck with costco/sams/walmart gas. Stick with one of the bigger oil companies and your engine will be cleaner and mileage and performance will be better too.

that is not a surprise at all actually. what alot of people do not know is that many different fuel delivery stations have cheaper fuel because they have more additives in their fuel that cut down on gas mileage. the reason for this? additives like ethanol are supposed to lower emissions into the air, but also lower the overall amount of power you get.

This is very quickly (already has?) going to turn into a long, silly thread about everyone's mileage/gas station superstitions, without any data to back it up.

Please note that I'm not even necessarily doubting your claim (higher gas gauge after 50 miles??), but c'mon...

Curtis

Your local Costco / Sam's likely gets it's gas from a local vendor.

Our oxygenated "winter" furl makes for a noticeable drop in mileage. I run mainly Costco fuel, but fuel at Sam's often and just about anywhere close when I need fuel. Notice zero difference in performance and it sucks all of it down at the same rate, FAST!:D

I only run 76/Shell/Chevron premium in all of my vehicles....always have. No reason not to, only costs 3 or 4 more dollars to fill it, and gives you the added knock resistance, along with having some good additives for your engine. Beyond that Im pretty sure I get better efficiency with premium (30 mile difference per tank, same driving style, same roads), but I havent officially measured it.

We can't get 95 in KS without visiting a racing fuel store. Our octane ranges are 87 to 91 with the occasional 93 thrown in.

And to add - I also get better mileage from the big boys fuel than I do from the smaller convenience store stations. I drive 700 to 1000 miles a week so I do have a little data to back it up.

Please guys, whenever you discuss slight differences in mileage and gas, think about people who pay $5 per gallon and earn $300 per month. Thank you.

And now to the topic. If I were you I would run on anything as close to 95 octane as possible. Actually anything from 91 octane is more than enough for the car.

If you consider 4 mpg slight I'd ask what you consider large? I am not saying this is a full census of the situation but after this morning's 6 mile commute to work I remain at the full line and am at 56 miles whereas on the other gas I'd be firmly in the 3/4.

I love people that post in "silly" threads to say it is silly Is there a read/post to the thread rule?

What I mean is that the price of gas in the US is so so so darn low compared to the salaries, that I wouldn't bother and simply fill with the highest octane possible from the fuel station that I consider good. That's all to it.

Yes, 4mpg is quite a difference but if you convert it to dollars it is absolutely nothing. In digits 9 and 13 MPG sounds whooping but in real life it's a minor problem.

I was just trying to be philosophical, you know, and not trying to impose that you are not right. My attempt was to give a more true-to-life approach, because the mathematical approach is being discussed already.

I haven't noticed any significant difference, and I ussually do at least a quick mental mpg calc every time I fill up. I would certainly notice 4-6 MPG!

On another note - Sam's used to be significantly cheaper here (Colorado Springs), but lately the difference has been negligible or even negative. So I've stopped making it a point to fill up there.

I'd say your nuts, but I have noticed the same thing. My wife's X5 consistently gets about 1-2 more mpg on 76 gas than on other brands. I have noticed that I get about 1mpg better mileage on the LC when running a top tier gas instead of Costco gas. I checked this over about 10 tanks, so I am reasonably certain about it. BTW, my wife was the one that noticed it. I though she was nuts so I started to check it out myself.

Stuck? no PAINTED on full. :D

That is my solution!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom