220v extension cord for welder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know how to make a 220v extension cord for my welder? I am trying to find one locally, with no luck.

I found a coouple online but they are like 150$ +++ which I hate to spend right now...

Thanks!

I had the same issue-I needed to have the welder further from the 220 recepticle. My FLWS (friendly local welding shop) had an 8 guage 25 foot cord with the correct ends for $75. I just bought that, rather than cobb something together from Home Depot. Check Indiana Oxygen's online store on the ebay site. Their prices are good, and I would have bought there, but I had an immediate need, if you know what I mean. Plus, the local guys are pretty cool, and don't give you a tough time as a hobby weldor, as opposed to a professional weldor..

Not sure if you have a Murdochs in your area but they have an exstion cord already made up for $80 25 feet in lenght. The other thing you can do is make your own. The line runs about $2 a foot and the ends are about $15-20 each. so for about a $100 you can make one about 50 foot long. Just a thought and it is easy to do.

Buy a plain old heavy duty 115 cord with 10 gauge wire. Cut the ends off and put new ones on.

I've got a couple at the shop that I made this way for welders and other 220 units.

No complaints after years of use.

Mark...

I bought the plugs (male and female) along with the length of cable I wanted at Lowes.

I did mine at home depot for $20 if I remember. All the parts that you need to build one are there $5-10 each for the plugs...$10-20 for the cable. Took me 20 min to assemble. I like throwing my $$$ away on stupid $hit, just like the next guy...but $80 is to much for an extension cord.

I did mine at home depot for $20 if I remember. All the parts that you need to build one are there $5-10 each for the plugs...$10-20 for the cable. Took me 20 min to assemble. I like throwing my $$$ away on stupid $hit, just like the next guy...but $80 is to much for an extension cord.

Ditto...works great.

Chicago...you're gonna want one too!

Home depot, Lowes, welding shop, etc. will have 8/3 SO cord...very stout, thick insulation and durable.

Purchase 20', because YOU KNOW if you only purchase 10' that you will wish that you would have purchased 20'.

Pick up the ends and assemble it.

No biggie.

:beer:

I got mine at KMS, 50' for just over $100. I also got a friend of mine who's an electrician, he made up an adapter so I could plug into a dryer outlet.

Any idea on how to make the adapter for the dry plug???

Thanks for the responses!!

How long of cord is too long for an extension cord? Say if I ran the cord from my laundry room, through the house, to the garage (connected houses)

I am no electrician, but ideally I would like to put 220v in my garage. I had an electrician look at it and tell me it was simple to do, but never came back an installed it. Is this something I could do, just tap into breaker box??

Home depot, Lowes, welding shop, etc. will have 8/3 SO cord...very stout, thick insulation and durable.

Purchase 20', because YOU KNOW if you only purchase 10' that you will wish that you would have purchased 20'.

Pick up the ends and assemble it.

No biggie.

:beer:

thats why i got 30' :bounce:

Welder extension cord

Instead of extending the hookup cable, extend the leads, You can purchase a slightly larger cable from a welding supply store and extend your machine to a max of 35 feet with no significant voltage drop, a 25 foot cable on the feedline or extension cord will give you a voltage drop of aboutt 4 per cent. Changing the ground clamp as well as the stinger is easy.

How long of cord is too long for an extension cord? Say if I ran the cord from my laundry room, through the house, to the garage (connected houses)

I am no electrician, but ideally I would like to put 220v in my garage. I had an electrician look at it and tell me it was simple to do, but never came back an installed it. Is this something I could do, just tap into breaker box??

If your box has room for more breakers all you need do is buy a 220 breaker, an outlet, and enough romex to get where you want to go. 10 guage is fine for runs of 25' or a little more with your welder. Your welder manual should have some guidelines for wire size and distances. Follow those.

I have a 25' welder extension cord that was $68. online shipped free that I used before adding another outlet in my shop and another outside. The cord is made in China but it's heavy duty and nice a flexible as well.

Very easy to do.... Do a search and you'll find lots of info. The worst part was running the wires to the panel which was in a bedroom closet. If your panel is in the garage, then it becomes a 1 bannana job. You might want to run a thicker gauge wire if you're planning on a bigger welder. I ran #6 into the garage. My shop was wired with #6 wires for my 220v circuits.

test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom