International HS 2.8L Diesel Engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know anything about this engine? It is made in Brazil by International and is a very popular swap into Land Rovers. The specs look like it would make an ideal swap into a 40 or 55. The difficulty would be getting one here and then finding parts I would imagine.

http://www.nav-international.com.br/Motores.asp?Idioma=2&Id=4

The funny thing is that Ford sells this engine in their Ranger pickup in Brazil but of course not here... And they wonder why they are in the mess they are. But that is a whole other thread.

They are not going for cheap on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turb...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ7997424276
v_g_PowerStroke28L.jpg

They are not made by International, but are by a company that they own in south america. I want to say it is MWM???? I think I read something about a company that they or cummins bought down that way. Cool piece wish they had that stuff here, I just cant give up freedom though....

Being a rover guy I know all about that engine. Look at paying just about 12K for it and all of the parts needed to put it in.

Cummins 4BT is alot more practical. Plus it can be serviced anywhere in america, compared to the 2.8

i have imported these engines to Canada and had one in my Land Rover 110 and have a very large inventory of spare parts for it also and each and every parts box as well as the crate the engine was shipped in, says International Engine's of South America... and the cost is not for the faint of heart

Best Regards

Gord

That engine is a copy of the factory 200TDi or 300TDi engines which Land Rover fitted to Discovery's sold here in Australia. It looks identical, but was only 2.5 litre displacement.

My guess is that LR sold the blueprints to this company once BMW or even later Ford took them over and they started using the Ford / Peugot derived V6 TD.

Cummins 4BT is alot more practical. Plus it can be serviced anywhere in america, compared to the 2.8

Ditto .. I have no really good comments about the reliability of this engine .. at least here in Panamá.

I remember talking with a guy in the US that was doing conversions into the Disco's about this engine. He was going to put them in. But had some real issues with the engine passing EPA testing.

Supposedly it won't pass new rules, mainly the reason it isn't sold in NA.

TLC sells the adapter... which (i think) makes the the back of the engine look like a chevy. You can then use a common AA adapter to H41 or H55f.

They have swapped about 8 of these... 60's, 55's, 40 series. Motors go for 10K or so... adapter is another 1200 i think. Pricey. Brand new 4BT is $5500 last I checked... of course you'll need $2000 worth of custom sound proofing to make it bearable.

someone was telling me of a lead blanlet that Cummins owners buy to sound proof their motors.

That engine is a copy of the factory 200TDi or 300TDi engines which Land Rover fitted to Discovery's sold here in Australia. It looks identical, but was only 2.5 litre displacement.

My guess is that LR sold the blueprints to this company once BMW or even later Ford took them over and they started using the Ford / Peugot derived V6 TD.

Landrover ditched the 300TDI when they released the 5 cylinder TD5 back around 1999.
The engine is available with both variable vane turbos and wastegated. The variable vane produces a little more power.
I'm curious as to how they control the vanes in the turbo, given that the engine is mechanical control and most variable turbos have their vacuum acuators computer controlled. Is it a simple pressure actuator like a wastegate?

Obviously a new head too, the 200/300TDI wasn't four valve.

http://www.mwm-international.com.br/pages/produtos/popFicha.asp?idSerie=44

I'm curious as to how they control the vanes in the turbo, given that the engine is mechanical control and most variable turbos have their vacuum acuators computer controlled. Is it a simple pressure actuator like a wastegate?

interesting to know .. but I thought are only 3 methods to control the vanes on the turbo ..

Electronic, vaccum or pressure controled .. at least 2 last one are the same method, but with diferent pressures, positive or negative in all ..

Anycase I will trust more in those methods ( lasted ones ) than electronic controled ..

Its funny to think these would cost $10k for the engine here since there's a company in South Africa that lists an engine swap from a 300tdi to the 2.8l for about $10k. Maybe they include the core return in that price...

As for the variable vane control -- it is equipped with a vacuum pump on the alternator. Don't know if that's how they do it, but thought I'd share.

It sure looks sexy though.

i have imported these engines to Canada and had one in my Land Rover 110 and have a very large inventory of spare parts for it also and each and every parts box as well as the crate the engine was shipped in, says International Engine's of South America... and the cost is not for the faint of heart

Best Regards

Gord
Hi I am looking for a starter for my International 2.8L diesel. Is this one of the parts you might have? thanks Please let me know I ve been looking everywhere.

Hi I am looking for a starter for my International 2.8L diesel. Is this one of the parts you might have? thanks Please let me know I ve been looking everywhere.

Landrover 300tdi starter fit? They're all over the internet and ebay. Including US sellers.

This is not a copy of a LR engine as this is a complete new engine done by MWM International on Latin America. The engine block and cylinder head was completely re-designed addressing past HS2.5 ( 300Tdi Land Rover ) several improvements and robustness measures including significant cylinder block cooling. This engine was develop together with AVL in Austria where the combustion research was done. The level of noise and torque at low speeds compared with the previous engine was really improved a lot.
Several parts are compatible with the 300 Tdi as it get the improvements either at that time.
The HS 2.8Tcc was produced in two versions : one using single turbo with wastegate valve ( maximum power / torque 132 hp / 360 Nm ) and the VGT turbo version with 135 hp/ 385 Nm ) . Both uses Bosch rotary VE pump with improved features ( 900bar injection pressure ). Turbos are produced by Honeywell ( VGT made in France and WG made in Brazil ). Emissions compliance are Euro II ( Heavy duty ) .
I will be glad to share any information of this engine as I am the chief engineer of its platform at that time.

Are they still available new and what sort of rpms can you run them at for long periods?

Last edited:
This is not a copy of a LR engine as this is a complete new engine done by MWM International on Latin America. The engine block and cylinder head was completely re-designed addressing past HS2.5 ( 300Tdi Land Rover ) several improvements and robustness measures including significant cylinder block cooling. This engine was develop together with AVL in Austria where the combustion research was done. The level of noise and torque at low speeds compared with the previous engine was really improved a lot.
Several parts are compatible with the 300 Tdi as it get the improvements either at that time.
The HS 2.8Tcc was produced in two versions : one using single turbo with wastegate valve ( maximum power / torque 132 hp / 360 Nm ) and the VGT turbo version with 135 hp/ 385 Nm ) . Both uses Bosch rotary VE pump with improved features ( 900bar injection pressure ). Turbos are produced by Honeywell ( VGT made in France and WG made in Brazil ). Emissions compliance are Euro II ( Heavy duty ) .
I will be glad to share any information of this engine as I am the chief engineer of its platform at that time.
I like to connect this engine to my Jeep Wrangler Sahara yj 1993 I two of this engines in a box the other is going on a discovery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom