Aluminum bullbar/ bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was doing some digging on bumpers and found a possible bumper. According to the seller it is for a range rover and it is made of 1/8 boxed aluminum plate set up for a winch with standard "L" shaped mounting brackets. Any thoughts on durability of an aluminum bull bar vs. a steel arb or safari guard? I like the idea of a lighter bumper but still want some front end protection. Here is a pic:
FedYrqyeo9SY6pUc7E6ducF8CXee.jpg

The owner is not sure of brand but says it might be TJM or?? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks, Clint

aluminum has been used for bullbars since quite a while, and it makes great bars. Check out TJM and other aussie suppliers. The bars are much lighter, and actually stronger. Problem is that they are harder to weld, and usually more expensive.
j

aluminum has been used for bullbars since quite a while, and it makes great bars. Check out TJM and other aussie suppliers. The bars are much lighter, and actually stronger. Problem is that they are harder to weld, and usually more expensive.
j

X2....

j

X2, I fully agree with Jan-78FJ40. The TJM brand has been around for quite sometime and proven that the quality of an aluminium bush/bull bar can stand the test. My only consideration would be the issue with electrolysis (the corrosion which can occur between aluminium mounted directly to steel, but if you just keep tabs on it, it should be a non-issue.

I'd say go for it, if available.

X2, I fully agree with Jan-78FJ40. The TJM brand has been around for quite sometime and proven that the quality of an aluminium bush/bull bar can stand the test. My only consideration would be the issue with electrolysis (the corrosion which can occur between aluminium mounted directly to steel, but if you just keep tabs on it, it should be a non-issue.

I'd say go for it, if available.

this would only be an issue if the truck was submerged in water. the corrosion between alu and steel out of salty liquid is urban legend :)
j

Ah, corrosion occurs between any dissimilar materials, regardless of water. Even a one piece metal structure will have corrosion between zones due to coating issues.

cool, a lesson in metalurgy along with some opinions. If it will fit and look good without many mods I plan on having it soda blasted and then powder coated. Thanks for the help.

clint

i built mine out of 1/4" checker plate aluminum. dont have as many broken leafs in the front. before i had 3/16" checkerplate steal. weighed alot more, easy 100 lbs. i think 1/8 is a little thin unless it is reinforced somehow. actually alot thin for heavy abuse.

Gees blokes, You do not get any protection from aliminium bars at all. They are only good for hanging lights off and pushing light brush. Most need fitting with an internal steel cage to take a winch. They are not strong.

Thats false, there was a company now out of business called Aussie Bull Bar that made a phenominal quality winch bumper, which that one strongly resembles, and TJM makes a great aluminum winch bar also.

Thats false, there was a company now out of business called Aussie Bull Bar that made a phenominal quality winch bumper, which that one strongly resembles, and TJM makes a great aluminum winch bar also.

You have a bit to learn about bull bars before you make a statement like that mate.

some time ago I saw a website by someone in Oz building polycarbonate bullbars that actually deformed, but then "snapped back". Seemed like a great idea. And they are lighter. And rustproof.

I'm assuming that there must be some technical snafu, cuz I haven't seen anything since.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't make an Al bullbar that would be strong enough and still be lighter. Not saying someone *does*, just saying it certainly seems reasonable that someone *could*.

so the TJM bars are bad quality/ don't protect? trying to learn here...

thanks
J

Tjm and Arb both make alloy and steel bars that are a standard bar and also as a winch bar. Some alloy bars need to be fitted with a cradle to contain a winch as previously said. Most of the alloy bars are considered lighter duty. Most alloy bars can be carried under one arm where it is difficult carrying most steel bars with two.The steel bar takes a bigger knock and is more rigid while winching especially where triangulated shear forces are evident as you are aware not all winching is straight ahead.Plenty of bars are home or workshop made so as to be stronger than what Arb and TJM build.
A quick search picked this up...................................................................................................

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top
There must be a linkl on this site for comparisons to ARB and TJM bull bars? If not what's the go..ARB or TJM (low winch bars). I know TJM have a seperate cradle for the winch mount which bolts to the chassis. Anyway what's your opinion.
-Scott-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top
speed=d/t

spazbot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top
tjm's cradle is for thier alloy bars, i think, they are prolly just as good as each other, it all depends what you like the look of and how much u want to spend

www.overkill4x4.com
ph 94766137
speed=t/d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top
yeah, your probally right but I was looking deeper than appearance. Thought that there might be some spec's or similar that are not bias from the manufacturer or supplier.

I am looking at the ARB delux winch bar at the moment ..anyway its probally as you say...beauty is in the eye of the beholder is it not!
BigMav

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top
In my opinion quality wise I would say that they are about on par with each other. Depends on what price you can get I guess.

eddie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top
spazbot wrote:
tjm's cradle is for thier alloy bars, i think, they are prolly just as good as each other, it all depends what you like the look of and how much u want to spend

Alloy bars need cradles, but then again some of the steel bars also need then. depens on how the winch mounts inside,(feet forward or down)

eddie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top
TJM are good bars and very strong
easy to mount, (my last job was fitting them)

luxinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top
i would go the tjm for strength as i have had an arb and a tjm and hit the same sort of objects and the tjm is a touch stronger but the tjm bars actually sit closer to the bonnet of your rig then the arb so if you have a colision the bar can actually bend back and hit the bonnet and do damage instead of saving your car.up to you just my input.
Davidh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top
My TJM steel bar is very weak and very damaged.
I've seen ARB bars take harder hits and are left with just a scratch on them.
The difference in steel thickness between the two bars is quite significant too.
My vote is ARB.

morkz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top
i think the older style ARB's are very strong i'am seeing alot of comp guys getting older arb bars and modifying them for comp duties.

Also i personally prefer the look of ARB bars then TJM

I think it also comes down to what you like the look of as well, i saw the TJM side steps and i thought they looked like crap where as someone else may like them.

Morkz Media Web and Graphic Design
Also webhosting and domain registration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
speed=t/d

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:04 am Reply with quote Back to top
Thanks for the input guys. After your replies and more research I'm going the ARB bar with a Warn 9000lb winch. The ARB tubing is thicker grade steel tube and the mounting/structure looks stronger in my opinion. Thanks guys.
Post new topic Reply to topic Outer Limits 4x4 Board Forum Index » General 4x4 Tech/Discussion
Picswithkirk5-5-06301.jpg

Compare the bought bar on my 80 with the workshop made bar on my HJ75 LOL tin and steel..:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom