Build Day Anyone???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeddyBoy

Knighted by the King of MUD himself
Threads
Website
www.novatelco.com
:cheers:
Alright guys. In light of the last meeting and some great suggestions it's time gather round a member in need.:cheers:

With Beasley Bash around the corner :clap:there has to be a member that needs some help getting their truck trail worthy.

Since that's what the GC is all about here's what we need:

1) A donor Operating Room
2) a Truck in need and parts to go along
:steer:
3) An available Saturday, thinking 8/29

It's traditional that the recipient supply a few burgers and cokes, the rest of us will provide the tools and good times!!!:wrench:

Visitors of course welcome!!!!

So who's first???????::hmm:

Last edited:
With Beasley Bash around the corner :clap:there has to be a member that needs some help getting their truck trail worthy.

Would Dan be an obvious choice? The 80 may have its top off, but there is probably a lot that has to be done to prep the truck from this point for a roll bar and then more work-n-details once the roll bar is in.

Would Dan be an obvious choice? The 80 may have its top off, but there is probably a lot that has to be done to prep the truck from this point for a roll bar and then more work-n-details once the roll bar is in.
He is one of the members I haven't met yet and don't know the status since his last post. I know his truck got squished in a tornado but thought he had made progress in recent weeks. lets wait to hear.

Here would be a happy problem (depending upon how you look at it): multiple members that need assistance, we would need to somehow organize this. thoughts?

I have the roof off the truck now (rough cut) and some of the edges cleaned up.

I have a ton of work to to do to gut the interior, line it, and build out the cage (which I have no welding skill or tools).

If you guys want to make me an obvious choice...I will buy the material, steak, and beer to make it happen! :)

When and where!;)

This is the way it should be done, Happy Times, enthusiasm yay!!!!:clap:

I have a welder and some minor (but developing) welding skills. 4.5 inch cutting wheel and a few other fab tools. no bender sorry.

I will be in Fl. next weekend and the next Cruiser trail ride is the 16th so anytime after that is good for me. Let us all know.

We need more volunteers for a good time, (almost) no excuses accepted.:grinpimp:

I think my wife and kids are going to the beach that weekend, 8/29 so if everything works out I will be there. I can bring my demo. 215amp welder if Dan has a big enough breaker to run it.

Sid

My dad is offering, if you don't mind driving to Gainesville, his 100' by 50' shop to work in. He has a welder, bender, and anything else you would need to work on your truck.

We would love to help you work on your truck if you need some help.

Dan,
Can the truck be safely trailored to the 'Smitty Shop'? (i.e. do you think the windshield has sufficient structure to handle airloads without the roof while being towed?) I would expect so, but you are the expert on its current condition. Once you check with Josh and his dad on what type of tubing bender and assortment of dies they have, you will be able to estimate what you will need to buy and if you will need to borrow/buy other dies for your design. I have been buying my DOM tubing from Metal Supermarket because they stock it, are fairly close by (off Bells Ferry Rd north of 41) and were cheaper then Gem City when I last checked. In fact, I was there this morning and drained their supply of 1.5" 1/8 tubing. Therefore, I would suggest calling a few days ahead so they know what you would need to have it in stock.

This is my last un-booked Saturday until October, so I will not be of use to you. But if your tasks/projects evolve like mine, you may have to schedule some additional work days/times, so keep us posted in case there will be opportunties.

Last edited:
We have dies for 2" and 3/4" tubing.

Josh,
Dies for 2.75" tubing or dies for either 2.0" or 0.75" tubing? Also what bend radii are the dies? For my curtrent project, I am using a friend's bender at his house and I needed a tighter bend than he had dies for, so I bought the die with the right radii to use on his bender. Depending on design and taste for his project, Dan may have to make a similar choice.

Thanks

The weekend of 8/29 works for me. Not only can the windshield handle it, I can even drive it :)

I would trailer up to the Schmitty shop, however, since I would also need to carry the tube.

I am thinking 2x20' 2" DOM .120 and 3x20' 1.5" DOM .120 for the build. The large loops over driver and rear passenger out of the 2" and the connections and runners out of the 1.5".

I will also need some sheet to make the flanges at the body pass throughs.

Jack offered to come up as well, we could make a day of it for sure!

I am thinking 2x20' 2" DOM .120 and 3x20' 1.5" DOM .120 for the build. The large loops over driver and rear passenger out of the 2" and the connections and runners out of the 1.5".

I will also need some sheet to make the flanges at the body pass throughs.

Dan,
Chuck, Gordon and others are more experienced working with tube than I, but I have found that it always takes more material than what I planned (even material lists based on drawings need more). My lack of experience contributes to this because I waste stock with bad bends every now & then, but not very often. Consequently, I would advise that you discuss your plans & project vision with an "old tubing sage" first. You may also want to pick up some material for internal sleeving to extend parts. For example I have found, the sleeve stock for 1.5" 0.120 wall tube is 1.25" tube works well. Also FYI, I have been using 1/4" thick stock for a lot of the 'flanges' in my tubing projects. The basic stock I have been using is 6" wide 1/4" thick that was originally 10' long and I cut off what I need for each flange or other part. You may want to get the sages perspective on this aspect too.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks Larry!

We have dies for 2" and 3/4" tubing.

What tube bender do you guys have? I have a 2" (6.5" radius) and 1.5" (4.5" radius) die I can bring along if it will fit in your bender. Do you have anything for coping (notching) the ends of the tubes. What angle measuring tools do you guys have. Just let me know so I can plan on what I will need to bring to help out with.

Regards
Jack

What tube bender do you guys have? I have a 2" (6.5" radius) and 1.5" (4.5" radius) die I can bring along if it will fit in your bender. Do you have anything for coping (notching) the ends of the tubes. What angle measuring tools do you guys have.

Jack,
Great points. I must have made ten cuts with the tubing notcher this afternoon while trying to get the right fitment of some tubes. It could be done with a grinder & cut-off wheel, but the right tools make a huge difference in the end product and the frustration level along the way.

What type of bender are your dies for? A JD-Squared? The bender I was using is a JD-squared. If I recall correctly, that is the type that Gordon & Chuck also use.

Also to add to the list, what hole saw sizes are at the "Smitty Shop"? If Dan opts to use a tubing size that they do not normally use, additional whole saw bits will probably be needed. Similarly, tools & expendables for cutting, beveling for welds and cleaning up welds. Flap-disks and cut-off wheel for the 4.5" angle grinder have worked great for me, plus the die grinder with a good metal bit (rather than a grinding stone) will remove metal in tight places in a hurry for me (Threads for the South have very good flap disks that last longer than what HD or Lowes sells in my experience). Before spending much time discussing air tools, we will need to check on availability of shop air.

This could turn into a real shop party. Remember when we put the lift under your Taco several years ago and I failed to check in to let Carolyn know we were running vary late; was she pived. But we got the job done and by ~10AM the following day, you had a drivable truck again. Maybe we should add portable flood lights to the tools/supply list...

My dad is offering, if you don't mind driving to Gainesville, his 100' by 50' shop to work in. He has a welder, bender, and anything else you would need to work on your truck.

Josh,
I normally do all my grinding and cut-off wheel work outside to cut down on the mess I make in the shop. I would expect that you and your dad may desire to keep the mess down in the shop too. Would the awning be a good solution so this type of work could be done outside regardless of the weather? Just a thought for your consideration.

Thanks

[ What type of bender are your dies for? A JD-Squared? The bender I was using is a JD-squared. If I recall correctly, that is the type that Gordon & Chuck also use

Mine is the JD-Squared with air over hydraulic ram. Just wondering if my die's could come in handy for the work day and if I need to bring my tube notcher as well.

Jack

Last edited:
Mine is the JD-Squared with air over hydraulic ram. Just wondering if my die's could come in handy for the work day and if I need to bring my tube notcher as well.

Jack,
You are the man. I did not know that you were so well equipped in the shop and your offer of help & tools will probably be eagerly accepted (& integrated into the developing plans).

I am 99% sure Josh got a notcher for a birthday gift a year or two back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom