Can a TWINKIE Rollover???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeddyBoy

Knighted by the King of MUD himself
Threads
Website
www.novatelco.com
Now before I get to the answer of whether or not a TWINKIE (FJCRUZR for those who don't know) can roll I would like to say what a great time we all had at the Gulches today. Sylvain and I hooked up with some of the UC guys and had a great time.

As many of you know by now I have been trying to genrate some foot traffic on the our forums so that we can show the rest of the world what a blast we're all having. Let me also say that if you're not a member of a Toyota 4WD club you should REALLY REALLY consider it, it's by far the best $20 I have spent.

I was reluctant to throw off my reponsibilities AGAIN and go wheeling for the 4th weekend in a row but with the wife in FL it was simply too tempting to bail out, so off we went. Damn, I'm glad I did b/c this place rocks and has something for everyone.

EDIT:
Now to the answer...SCROLL DOWN TO THE TRIP WRITE UP FOR PICS AND VIDS

Last edited:
It's tomorrow what happened
Is the suspense killing all of you? come on where's the begging, I want some begging!!! The pictures are uploaded, the write up is complete, all I have to do is hit the submit button and you will know the answer.

TEASER PIC
Teaser.JPG

Last edited:
Naw...TWINKIES have a flat bottom....and a shelf life of like 20 years or somethink like that :doh:

Naw...TWINKIES have a flat bottom....and a shelf life of like 20 years or somethink like that :doh:
They have flat tops too!!!!!

Sylvain-- if only you had the tire over to the right about 2-3 feet you woulda been fine! watched the video of yours and James'. James hit the right spot, yours, well you were there!

Flat top, as is, a recesed roof rack :eek:.....or just in general

Sylvain-- if only you had the tire over to the right about 2-3 feet you woulda been fine! watched the video of yours and James'. James hit the right spot, yours, well you were there!

More like a foot over...:whoops:

More like a foot over...:whoops:
It wasn't much, I emailed you the link. glad you made it home okay, I was dead tired and for good reason!

Consider me begging!

Sylvain--looks like only a few people really care about your well being, one of which you've probably never even met, hmmm? :eek:

I think alot of folks may have seen your first post about the old news trick, still haven't heard or seen anything.....so maybe the just decided to :banana:TIVO:banana: the thread, you know...to bypass all the commercials.....and tune back in when the show comes back on. :popcorn: I keep checking your original post, <click HERE> to find out.....still nothing. I guess it's still a commercial break.

okay okay okay, just trying to have a little fun with you guys but nobody wants to come out and play, except a few of course. So, lets cut to the chase.

Trip Write-Up

We met in Gainesville just before 8 and made good time to The Gulches just after 10. Got my truck to a new top speed w/ the TWINKIE hot on my tail. Met up with several of the UC guys in the parking lot and met Spike (owner of the Gulches), he's a good guy with 1 warning, stay out of the mud or we won't find you till October! He was right. With only a partial crowd having shown a group of about 6 went to the Pipe Garden and Rubber's Revenge. We then hit Heartbreaker for about an hour before making it down toward the river on trail 1 to play in dry bottoms and hills for awhile. We then broke for lunch and found Trollholes's campsite for some good conversation.

The highlight of the trip had to the TWINKIE'S soiled pants event. Short version of the story is that when you hear "PUT A STRAP ON IT NOW!" you kinda get the gist of the situation. Normally this hill isn't supposed to be a big deal with the exception of a sharp right turn about half way up, then step up onto a rock that tends to throw the truck toward the passenger/downhill side. If you hit it right you walk up it, if you hit it wrong, well... the video speaks for itself. And by the way I was directly downhill and in the WRONG spot so I don't want to hear any crap about the videographer (me) bailing out. When that truck started going over I wasn't sticking around just to get you guys the great video.

After all that excitement we definitely needed a little brake so we went down to watch a Bronco play in the mud for awhile, get stuck, pulled out, stuck again, pulled out again, stuck again, pulled out again and finally gave up.

James gets the the idea that he wants to run Trail 23, the "Rebel trail". Okay sounds good to me so we (3 of us) find the trail head. I'm in the lead and see the sign that indicates this as a "double Black" trail which means hold on to your a$$, well i mention this on the CB and James comes back "Just ignore that" OKAY so off we go. Huh, 100 feet in my left front and right rear are a foot and half off the ground at the same time and teetering back and forth on 2 wheels, fun! cost me 2 back up lights and the rear bumper takes another good beating! Thank God for Lockers (thanks again Josh and John) . We get past that obstacle and weave our way down to "Skirts (left) and Studs (right)" well I miss the sign (not that I wear a skirt but I'm still a rookie at this) and go down Studs. There is a sharp downhill right and then a sharp downhill left which then finishes with a 30 foot steep downhill descent that also includes a 2-3 ft rock drop. At the bottom is a small dry creek bed which is off camber and is really the cherry on top. Really, it wasn't that bad except the part where i felt like I was going over in the off-camber bottom, I hate that feeling. I make it down fine on 3 wheels followed closely by James and Sylvain is pulling up the rear. Now as if Twinkie hasn't had enough fun already, the right turn is very sharp and also pushes your truck down the hill resulting in a plowing effect. This plowing makes you easily take the turn too wide which is what happened to Sylvain. He missed the line and ended up high centered on a stump under the driver's side door at top of the left turn before the steep downhill descent. An hour later, a number of hi-lift attempts and finally few different winch angles we finally unhang his truck where he then bails down the "Skirts" side.

From there it was kind of anticlimactic and we cut out of The Gulches about 7.

Thems the highlights, got home about 10PM but well worth the drive. NEXT TIME, YOU GUYS GET OFF THE COUCH!!!!!

Vids and pics HERE

more pics in the UC forum:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/sc-upstate-cruisers/227890-gulches-sat-july-19th.html

Oh, the answer! I will only say that Angels were in that truck and I promise had there been a 1 lb. gopher in the passenger seat it would have turned out differently. As far as the "Strap it Now!" comment, Sylvain seemingly kept his cool but his eyes were as big as dinner plates! We had to strap the top of the truck to a tree and stand on one side so he could get out and assess the situation. whew!

Last edited:
bummer....OH, did I say that out loud? Just kidding! I looks like you had a couple of tymes that the pucker factor came into play. Glad to hear everyones all right. Sorry I missed it.

Thanks Ted!

It was a good day and very eventfull...
I must have something wrong with my truck:flipoff2:, keeps taking the wrong line:whoops:.
The good thing is I got to use my recovery gear...twice:wrench:

Ted,
Always enjoy your write ups and pics. I actually called Sylvain on Sunday afternoon to check on him.

Sid

Ted,
Always enjoy your write ups and pics. I actually called Sylvain on Sunday afternoon to check on him.

Sid
Thanks Sid, just trying to stir the pot a little. Glad I could entertain the folks out there! Stay tuned, there is definitely more to come as the weekend is only 2 days away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom