Troopy Soft Top Restoration/Super Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I should have started this 2 years ago. But here we are! I purchased a reasonably solid Saudi Spec Troopy Soft top . If anyone knows where it originally came from, I would be interested in knowing its history. I bought it from a nice guy in Utah. As I have been swamped with my own business, I have had the guys at GXR4x4 building the truck for me from my computer photo concept. As there is no where to off road, and I wanted a cool island soft top for cruising around here, I opted for some creature comfort and automatic transmission bolted onto some power instead of restoring it to original. So purists please be kind. As the build is near completion, I will post pix of build as it progressed. Hopefully some of you may be inspired or find it useful. Mark
TroopyST0920.jpg
TroopyST0919.jpg
TroopyST0953.jpg

New roll cage designed to be used with original hoops and set in place for fit. You can see the bed was in pretty decent condition.
TroopyST0991.jpg
TroopyST0993.jpg
TroopyST0994.jpg

Paint being stripped and rusted floors removed from cabin
TroopyST0995.jpg
TroopyST0996.jpg
TroopyST1000.jpg

The concept image. This is my computer rendering of finished Troopy Soft Top.
LC1264.1.jpg
LC1264.jpg

Every part has been removed for refinishing or replacement

Last edited:
The new presents arrive. Brand new 350 Vortec and new 700R transmission. All new parts. The list is so long I am not even attempting to remember what was purchased. But we replaced everything mechanical with brand new parts. New gears, bearings, seals, brakes...
TroopyST1042.jpg
TroopyST1043.jpg
TroopyST1044.jpg

The body stripped of paint and imperfections. It was pretty straight. The only rust was in the floor pans at front. Floors were cut out and new panels welded in place. The few minor dings and dents in bed were filled and sanded. Primed tub is prepped for underbody bedliner spray for protection from the elements.
TroopyST1054.jpg
TroopyST1066.jpg
TroopyST1068.jpg

The New motor, Tranny and new transfer case are postioned. Crossmember is relocated.
TroopyST1070.jpg
TroopyST1071.jpg
TroopyST1074.jpg

Frame is back from paint shop and suspension is hung. We have used Mule custom made shackles. Axle housing is temporarily installed.
TroopyST1078.jpg
TroopyST1081.jpg
TroopyST1083.jpg

Meanwhile the body is nearly ready for paint. The hoops are placed back in for position. Custom built side steps are bolted in place temporarily for fit.
TroopyST1092.jpg
TroopyST1093.jpg
TroopyST1099.jpg

The underbody is very straight and tidy. Under body coating is applied to protect from the elements.
TroopyST1103.jpg
TroopyST1106.jpg
TroopyST1107.jpg

Knuckles are rebuilt with all new parts. Axles installed on frame.
TroopyST1118.jpg
TroopyST1123.jpg
TroopyST1082.jpg

The roll cage and soft top hoops are positioned. My plan is to have a full top as OEM. The addition of zip of sides for warmer weather. I am also going to have a bikini top made that can be used on top of the roll cage, with the removal of soft top hoops for beach weather. We built the cage to fit snugly inside the hoops, but the aesthetics of the design will look quite nice with the hoops removed. Powder coated in silver.
TroopyST1115.jpg

TroopyST1116.jpg

The new axles are complete and New 4Wheel disc brakes and new brake lines are installed.
TroopyST1124.jpg
TroopyST1129.jpg
TroopyST1130.jpg

The roll cage and hoops removed, the tub is mounted on the frame and prepped for paint.
TroopyST1141.jpg
TroopyST1139.jpg
TroopyST1145.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom