What's an FJ45 worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I'm new to the forum, but not new to Landcruisers. Currently I own a rust-free 1978 FJ45. I call it rust-free because I've had it all apart, and done a ton of work to it. It was a rusted POS when I bought it, but it's a 45, so I figured it was worth saving. I had to rebuild the cab, so I extended it 9" for a little room behind the seats; it may have reduced it's collector price, but it is really nice to have that space. Gas engine, disc brakes, proper rear axle, loggers/rigging box, new 33" BFG's, Holley carb, 2-piece header with true dual exhaust and stacks up behind the cab c/w flapper caps.
Awesome truck, I love it!
I've recently aquired a Unimog, so I was thinking about selling my beloved Landcruiser. I offered it to my son, but he thinks it's a bit too redneck - Kids! The truck runs and drives good, also c/w a truck load of parts I've been collecting over many years (axles, transmissions, transfer cases, etc)
I saw that one on Dupont Registry (gold dipped FJ45 - $90K), but I'm just not up on the cost of these trucks because they are really hard to find. Not sure if I'm looking at $6K or should it be worth more or less?

don't see how to upload a pic...

Welcome to mud!

I had a look at the pictures. My personal opinion of your truck's value is that the modifications done to it like the non-stock bed and stretched cab would lessen the value. I'm not necessarily a purest and I'm modifying a FJ45 pickup myself, but from what I've seen, the stock trucks seem to draw more attention and interest.

With your's, because of the extensive body rust, the quality of the repairs will come into play on the price soneone is willing to pay. If the frame is in good condition, that will help but I would be concerned for the frame's integrity as well after looking at the pictures of the body prior to the repairs.

Good luck if you do decide to sell. FJ45 pickups always draw interest, the price someone will pay for one is hard to determine.

need some better pics, hard to tell what the cab looks like.
front drum brakes?
do you still have the OEM headache rack?

We need way more pictures; but I can say the altered front fenders with the aftermarket lights are going to subtract from value, along with the rotten bottom of the driver side door. Dual stacks are also going to be a negative along with the stock bed missing.

I don't really have anymore build pics, computer crashed and lost everything that wasn't backed-up. The truck's body has been completely apart, tub replaced. Used a 40 tub with the back of the 45 cab welded in place, and that is how the cab was extended. The truck is rust-free except for the driver's door, but I have the parts to weld in; need more time. The doors are the same as the 40's so a replacement door is easy to find. Put the custom lights in the front fenders because the stock light mounts was a large rust hole. The new light bucket removed all the rust from that area, so that was a good thing. I liked the semi-flush lights because they don't drag branches when I'm out on the trail. The frame has been replaced with a fully boxed unit. Personally I like the stacks, except with the roof off, it's a bit loud above 3000 rpm. With the stacks, there is less chance of water entering the engine if she stalls during a water crossing. Exhaust is a wear and tear item, so it all must be replaced in the future anyway.
I do still have the stock headache rack - front and rear, but the new box has a heavy duty one already in place. I wasn't looking to rebuild the truck as stock, I built it to be functional as possible. Theory being - take a good reliable truck and alter the weak areas to make a better reliable work truck. Upgraded to front disc brakes, but still has the full floating rear and the longer 45 rear leaf springs.

to answer your question:

FJ45's are worth nothing they're a dime a dozen. You should get out from under thant thing ASAP! I'd gladly take it off your hands!!!:hillbilly:

Nice truck! Welcome to 'Mud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom