Daytime Running Lights - any options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody KNOW what the current regulations are for DRL? I tried to make sense of the NTSB and Code of Fed Regulations and couldn't even find it. The service shops won't touch a DRL modification; it appears to be state-by-state based if I understand correctly.

As a nature photographer, I often idle in the dark to attract curious crittters (or to keep warm waiting for the winter sun to rise). DRL messes with that. I'm hoping I can insert a hard override switch on the FJC for those times and leave them alone the rest of the time (the H3 had an interesting feature - a temporary switch that killed the DRL until the engine was restarted).

Perhaps one of you electrical guys can give suggest a place to start?

There are some old TSBs out there on how to disable the DRLs - apparently, this was a big deal back in 2000 - but I didn't see anything specific to the FJC.

Then again, Fuse #13 (7.5A) is for the DRL system...

Drl

One way to temporaly disable the DRL is to slightly push the parking brake before starting the vehicle. It dosen't engage the brakes enough to put any wear on them.
Vern

I have the same problem would like to shut off daytime running lights. I also do a lot of wildlife videography.Sucks to have lights on. Pulling fuse doesnt work. Setting parking brake one clik still grabs brake slightly. Also I disconnected switch to brake pedal .worked but parking brake dummy light stays on. I dont know what to do now. I might have to live withthe dummy light

I feel your pain. I'm still optimistic that I can hardwire a disconnect switch. Some vehicles DRL are monitored/controlled by the ECU, in which case I'm also out of ideas (and desperately hoping when my FJ gets here, it doesn't work like that so a hardwire interrupt would work).

if you can identify the conductor for your drl you should be able to cut the wire and put a switch in, you might be able to find the wire color at the light bulb itself or use a volt meter to identify it, if the ebrake does turn off the light that means there is a contact there and thus a wire for the drl, this might be an ideal place to look. i dont have a fjc in the parking spot to check. anyways when you find the wire cut it , run some wire to a switch and back to the other side of the cut wires. there may also be conductors for the e-brake light which could power a normally closed relay which would turn off the lights, in this circumsatnce installing a switch in series wouldnt do anything. unless there is two switches, one normally open and one normally closed,so make sure you are cutting the wire and installing the switch close to the source but before the wire splits off to feed all 4 corners. they may also use a relay which just means you cut the control wire which is usually the smaller one feeding it. i bet this information is probally a little overwhelming in which case you could try option b: buy a case of beer and find a friend whos good with this type of stuff. cheers

Thx Cody - good place to start. The base model FJ (no convenience group) is not listed as coming with DRL - it is part of the convenience group upgrade. So, I am a bit worried that they may be relayed with that group of electronics (which will certainly complicate matters).

I found that if you disconnect the DRL resistor the DRLs turn off but head lights still function the same. LOOKING at the engine compartment on the right side just to the right of the headlamp and in front of the battery is the resistor. unplug it and the drls go off. It looks like a plug and a big heat-sink.

if the ebrake does light up the icon in the instrument panel and turn off the drl i think that would be the part of the circuit to try and run a switch in series with, unless there is more than two wires at the ebrake switch probally located at the ebrake, at which point it might start to get complicated, again if i had a fjc in my parking spot id have a look.

Thanks cruisermike!!! I unplugged Connector near resistor seemed to work.DRL off, headlights seem to work fine. Fj is in stealth mode. Unplugging that I felt like the monkey that sticks his hand in the hole to get somthing and cant his hand back out.Pretty tight spot!!!:bounce2: :)

inthewall said:
Thanks cruisermike!!! I unplugged Connector near resistor seemed to work.DRL off, headlights seem to work fine. Fj is in stealth mode. Unplugging that I felt like the monkey that sticks his hand in the hole to get somthing and cant his hand back out.Pretty tight spot!!!:bounce2: :)
No problem....... I do it all day long (Fix Toys that is) so I guess I didn't think about how hard it could be to reach.

Beauty!! CruiserMike - my nomination as FJ King for a day!
(Mine gets here next week)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom