My girls rear end. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That got your attention. : )
A few days back as I was pulling out of a parking spot, shifted to drive and started to roll forward and "CLUNK" goes something in the rear. Looked everything over, nothing visual. Slowly cruised home and no noticable event other than a sporatic noise from the rear. Tried and tried to duplicate it for others to hear, nothing. Then I discovered making a circle to the left made this "WHIRRING" sound. So drained the diff oil and found metal. No big chunks like teeth, but enough to make me pull the 3rd to check it out. (Moab just around the corner)

After cleaning the 3rd with brake cleaner I could not see anything to note. R&P,spiders,axle splines,E locker all looked good. The only thing I did find was the Internal oil deflector inside the housing was loose on Pass side, and basically just rattling around in there.
I can only assume that it was resting on the axle, or maybe even contacting the axle splines IF there are any exposed once all buttoned up. There isn't anything on that side of the 3rd that has , I will say external movement, that can be causing contact with this deflector.
I did find metal in the oil, a few pieces fairly good size, and a lot of small pieces. The bigger ones had a curl to them, like threads off a bolt. I pulled the deflector out and cleaned it but didn't see anything to note.

My question is, how to keep this "piece of sheeeet" metal in one place. And do you think it would be worth piece of mind to send the 3rd to a pro for a better look?

Thoughts???

Bird

Since no one else has posted up anything. You've already heard my thoughts. :)

My question is, how to keep this "piece of sheeeet" metal in one place.

Put a crimp in it to make it stiffer? Stake it with a chisel? Not sure what to say' I've never had that problem myself.

And do you think it would be worth piece of mind to send the 3rd to a pro for a better look?

You could check your flanges, ring gear, and carrier for run-out and the backlash on the spider gears with a dial indicator if you want to be absolutely positively certain, but really if there is no abnormal or uneven wear on the ring and pinion teeth then chances are very good that it is OK.

Thanks for the reply. What I decided to do,(with Cruise Moab getting close) was sent the diff to Chase at ECGS to have it totally looked over. Went to the local dealer and asked around the tech's what to do about the deflector, new problem on them as well. So, ordered a new deflector so I can compare the new-old and see what that tells me. Figure it all out from there, then post up my findings for others.

:beer:

Well my fellow Mudderz, here is the story.
After draining the rear diff oil, I find this.....

The biggest pieces looked like this..... 8mm wrench

So off to East Coast Gear Supply so Chase and the guys can work their magic on the rear diff. Of which, nothing major to note other than the pinion bearing was darkened as if a heat/low oil issue was happening. All fixed and sent back. AWESOME SERVICE. I will repay them for sure.
In the meantime, I cleaned out the housing as best as I could. Purchased a new oil deflector, compared the two and only found minor signs of wear. I guess the axle splines were grinding off the sheet metal. Who know's? Deflector looks like this.....

Goes here..... both sides

In the housing there are 2 tabs, side by side, spot welded in place. 2 top, 2 bottom, both sides. The oil deflector is a compression fit, and then the edges lock in under the tabs. I coudn't get good pics inside the housing, but they look something like this.....

So I used a small flat screwdriver and cleaned any crud out from under the tabs. Then very gently (not wanting to pop the spot welds) I tweeked the edge of the tab up a bit. Also bent the sides of the deflector outward for a good snug fit and pressed it back into place. Good to go.
Why this come loose? I have no idea. Possibly when the axle was inserted it was pushed in too hard, and bumped the deflector before the axle was aligned with the hole. It then just worked it's way loose???? Who knows???
So IF your FJC starts making wierd sounds from the rear axle, a
POS (piece of SHEEEEEET) metal could be your problem.

Bird. :cheers:

Wow, kind of crazy how all that happened.

And, I agree how great the service Chase @ECGS is, quick turnaround and fine work.

Glad you'll get your girl's back-end fresh and buttoned back up...:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom