Amazing overland expedition book! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was in a used bookstore last week and came across a 1957 book called "Adventurer's Road" by T.R. Nicholson. It's the story of the 1907 Pekin - Paris road trial and the 1908 New York - Paris road race. I saw the Australian tv series where they recreated it a few years ago, but to read about the original expeditions and see the original photos... AMAZING!!! Those guys were tough, and absolutely nuts!
The part where they cross the continental US in the winter/spring of 1908 really shows how far we've come (much tougher than the wilderness of Asia, it seems).
Mind you, they carried more champagne than most modern expeditions....:cheers:
I found there are some copies availiable on bookfinder.com .
A really, really entertaining and motivating read.

Thanks for the link...I love book finds like this.

Just finished it last night, the 1908 run is a bit confusing at the end but they did some absolutely incredible stuff, with 30-40 hp cars weighing up to 3 tons....

thanks for the find! I love these stories of truly hardcore individuals, makes one feel a bit soft in their high HP, 4wd, all terrain, refrigerated and AC'd rides!
Cheers
J

Yup, kinda makes one want to do the old waynes world "I'm not worthy...." thing!!

PS, nice classic Bimmer/6! I had a 74 Guzzi Eldorado for over 20 years, had 139,000 miles on it when I sold it. I miss it...

Just an FYI, I picked this book up just now on Barnes & Noble.com for $10 in the out of print section. Crazy cheap and they have 5 more copies available.

Yup, kinda makes one want to do the old waynes world "I'm not worthy...." thing!!

PS, nice classic Bimmer/6! I had a 74 Guzzi Eldorado for over 20 years, had 139,000 miles on it when I sold it. I miss it...

Cheers, love the old airheads, rode a 64 883 sporty for years, frickin thing tried to kill me on more than one occasion! Smartened up and have been riding the 90 for the last 10 years, not a single issue. LOve the old Guzzis, just pure Italian style and grace.

Cheers, love the old airheads, rode a 64 883 sporty for years, frickin thing tried to kill me on more than one occasion! Smartened up and have been riding the 90 for the last 10 years, not a single issue. LOve the old Guzzis, just pure Italian style and grace.

LOL... me too!, Had a 52 pan (duo-glide) as a kid, used to mark it's territory worse than my dog.... Guzzi's and Bimmers have it all over!

Thanks for the pointer on another book. I still have a stack I need to read yet. Oh well, whats another one. . . . .

Awesome. Just ordered one.

Thanks for the review. I just got my copy in the mail last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom