Builds Project Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend I kicked off work on my 60 buildup and thought I'd share some photos and details of it's progress. The body and frame of my HJ60 had rusted to the point where I needed to start considering a new home for my diesel powertrain. So a couple weeks ago I bought a rust free donor 1986 FJ60 from California and drove it back to SC.

Trip thread or see "Sight Unseeing" the May/June Issue of Toyota Trails

Original HJ60:
DSCN0560.jpg

Donor FJ60:
DSC_4214.jpg

While I transfer the powertrain I have also planned a few other mods . The goal for this build is an overland expedition rig which so it needs to be capable and reliable offroad, but comfortable and practical onroad. Here is a summary of the build...

- 8/2/2018 -
Sorry, all the post links broke during one of the MUD updates... over the last ten years, lol

I'll try to clean up this summary, but sometime but in the meantime, here's the latest progress and a more recent photo of the current setup from a trip to Utah earlier this year. For more regular updates and trip photos, look me up on instagram: @TransientRambler

• Got the A/C working (which was way easier than I thought it would be. I literally just replaced the seals and charged it... I should have done it YEARS ago!)
  • Front axle rebuild with chromoly shafts
  • 4x4Labs dual-swing-arm rear bumper with spare tire and jerry can attachments
  • CB radio with WagonGear Antenna mount
  • Modified 40 series steelies wheels (16x7) with 295/75 BFG A/T K02 tires
  • New OME Dakar springs, heavies front and rear
  • Warn 8274 winch
  • ARB Awning
  • Custom interior curtains
30078539_600768403589096_4649632630013165568_n.jpg

- BUILD SUMMARY -
Topic, (Post numbers)

- BODY-
  • 1986 FJ60 (58, 81, 83, 89)
  • Painted LC paint code 464 (95, 108)
  • Underbody sealed with Rust Bullet "black shell" (159)
  • Disco Stripes (249)
- FRAME -
- POWERTRAIN -
- FUEL SYSTEM - (164, 168, 174)
  • Carter aux pump
  • Racor 245R Filter with 12V heater
- SUSPENSION - (164, 169)
  • Re-arched HJ springs, 7 leaf rear, 6 leaf front (151)
  • SOR "Performance" Shackles with greasable bolts
  • SOR poly bushings
  • Greasable pins
  • "GT Suspension" Sway bars, 21mm front, 27mm rear (67, 223)
  • MAF extended font swaybar links
  • Modified Ford F-250 front shock towers (223)
  • Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks
  • 2"-3" of lift
  • *(5/27 - too little time for the coils right now)(118 , 125)
- AXLES - (76, 147, 148)
  • Full float rear
  • Factory 60-series F/R Cable lockers (375)
  • 4.11 gears
- BRAKES -
  • Stock front disks
  • Rear disks with e-brake (187)
  • SS braided lines
- WHEELS AND TIRES -
  • 15x5.5 late model FJ40 steelies, BFG A/Ts 33x10.5 (winter) (266)
  • 16x6 OE chrome steelies, BFG M/Ts 255/85-16 (summer) (314)
- INTERIOR -
  • Rebuilt HVAC ducts (170, 171)
  • Cargo drawers (37)
  • Tuffy Console (205)
  • Passenger grab bar (281)
  • Split Rear Bench (314, 373)
  • Procar 1100 series front seats (432)
- ARMOR -
- ACCESSORIES -
  • Shifter-mounted Hand Throttle (283)
- ELECTRICAL -
  • Misc. Electrical (181, 182, 187, 261)
  • Contour E-Fan Conversion (187, 261)
  • RoundEyes Headlights (276)
  • Dual Batteries, Luna Isolator (374)

Here is the direct link to the GALLERY

Last edited:
Strip down, part 1

I pulled the powertain on saturday. it took a while because i didn't want to just cut everything off and I was working alone. I also labeled the harness, though I won't use a lot of it on the diesel, it will be helpful to know what was what incase I want to try and reuse any of it for a different application. Anyway, it took pretty much all day, but it came out without a hitch...

the start...
DSC_4229.jpg

I got a little carried away with the work so I didn't take any pics during the pull, but here is the result....you can see where the battery exploded at some point...
DSC_4234.jpg

DSC_4238.jpg

DSC_4236.jpg

and the garage after a little clean-up on Sunday...
DSC_4240.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled the powertain on saturday. it took a while because i didn't want to just cut everything off and I was working alone. I also labeled the harness, though I won't use a lot of it on the diesel, it will be helpful to know what was what incase I want to try and reuse any of it for a different application. Anyway, it took pretty much all day, but it came out without a hitch...

:confused: pics? :confused: I'm definitely following this one too.

Last edited:
That works. Thanks!

I snooped through your gallery there... nice travel pics too!

consider this my subscription. mass heckling to follow.

can't remember from talkin this weekend, but when is the estimated/desired completion date?

malphrus

I like the crown royal banner....

consider this my subscription. mass heckling to follow.

can't remember from talkin this weekend, but when is the estimated/desired completion date?

malphrus

TBD :flipoff2:

really though, it depends. I need to make some decisions about some things (paint for example) that will be big factors in the completion time. I'll go ahead and say hopefully by the end of the year though.

EDIT: thanks for the help this weekend btw.

no problem buddy...sorry i wasn't there for pullin the engine.

i guess you enjoyed my 'help' when i showed up around midnight, right? what a great idea, free yuengling, ha ha.

if you want to enter 'build-off' mode, i'm game...i really don't think that josh's bronco is goin to get any more attention since he's workin most saturdays up at the plant now b/c they are down 2 engineers...

i'll let you know asap about the pedal assembly and other parts, but those are goin to be in phase II of the build after i get done with the body, frame, and suspension.

malphrus

Did you pull the Engine and tranny as a combo or do them separately?

I'm getting ready to pull the block (head is already off), but don't know which is easier...

Also, I can't remove that front headlight assembly without disconnecting the A/C and I'm trying not to have to do that... Wondering if the whole thing will fit through the opening with the headlight assem. still there?

Sorry if I hijacked this a little... :grinpimp: But your project looks great!

S. :)

I'm getting ready to pull the block (head is already off), but don't know which is easier...

Also, I can't remove that front headlight assembly without disconnecting the A/C and I'm trying not to have to do that... Wondering if the whole thing will fit through the opening with the headlight assem. still there?

Using an engine hoist (cherry picker) I lifted my engine out without removing the radiator support bracket and I took my a/c compressor off the engine and left it hooked.

2452971890041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

2762374790041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

I pulled the engine, trans and tcase out as a unit which required removing the rad support. as boots mentioned you should be able to pull the block out alone without doing so, however, the hoist points (hooks) are on the head so you may need to get creative in that respect.

when i pulled my 2F/tranny/tcase out of my 40 i had to use a strap and some chain to get it hooked up to the hoist b/c i too had already pulled the head and didn't have those nice hooks...

a load leveler would have made things much easier, so pick one up if you have that option

Thanks, guys, for the info and pix! The ONLY thing I'm hesitant to duplicate is Boots' "log cabin" jack stand ;);)

The rest of the info I'll use this weekend!

S.

Thanks, guys, for the info and pix! The ONLY thing I'm hesitant to duplicate is Boots' "log cabin" jack stand ;);)

The rest of the info I'll use this weekend!

S.

The rig is supported down the frame with pair of jack stands, those are there as a fail safe.

You can see one in this shot.

2193291540041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

took me a second to realize those springs were unhooked and hangin down... i was like wha?? but i get it now:lol:

dope build up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom