Custom Garmin GPS Splash Screen. Might help you recover device if stolen. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alvarorb

Color Geek in Charge
Threads
Website
www.arb-digital.com
The newer Garmin GPS units are compatible with a Garmin piece of software called xImage. xImage allows you to retrieve and update images on your GPS. For example, xImage makes it possible to get a screenshot from most GPS models. In addition, with certain newer models, xImage allows you to update some images (splash screen, waypoint symbols, etc.) with your own creations.

It not only looks very cool, but you can add some text to the image in case your GPS unit ever gets "lost" or stolen. I added my name, e-mail and phone number to mine. Plus a reward if found.

Here's what my startup splash screen looks like (I've blurred my phone and e-mail for this post:

Splash.png

You can download xImage from here.

I'm thinking that most of the people who steal these things will find it very hard to remove the splash screen. (If they knew how to use a computer they would probably have a job and wouldn't be stealing stuff)

Regards

Alvaro

I like it Alvaro!! I don't think it will work on my GPS V though:frown:

I like it Alvaro!! I don't think it will work on my GPS V though:frown:

Josh,

Check out the Garmin support site of your device to see if it's supported.

Regards

Alvaro

I'm thinking that most of the people who steal these things will find it very hard to remove the splash screen. (If they knew how to use a computer they would probably have a job and wouldn't be stealing stuff)

Astute observation... I have seen the software on their site, but never made the anti-theft connection.

I'll be upgrading my 276c soon!

Alvaro,

awesome! I'll have to check into this on my 2720. I agree it would make for a great way to add a custom startup screen that most thieves can't figure out how to remove. Thanks.

Nice to see that Garmin allows this. I had a similar thing on my desktop in college that would display my name when the machine was booting.

I wish I could do it on mine Streetpilot 2610.

Any luck locating yours Alvaro?

Jasper,

I think you can do it on yours. It's pretty new.
Give the software a shot.
Nope, I never located my 276C. I only had my e-mail on it.
Now all my info is on it. Plus a reward note.

Regards

Alvaro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom