3F to 14BT conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

I mentioned this in a 70 series thread, but after looking over the diesel tech section thought it would be of interest to readers here...

I live in Ecuador, where I drive a 1986 FJ70. My Landcruiser has nearly 500,000 km (300,000 miles) of tough mountain driving and is going strong. I use it on my farm and for weekend trips to the mountains. The truck has an in-line, 6 cylinder 3F engine -- solid as granite but a gas guzzler. I get about 24km/gal (13 ml/gal). But, as long as I carry enough gas, I always get to where I am going. I also have a '86 four cylinder RJ70/22R that I've rebuilt. It's better on gas mileage (32km/gal) and is light, with good ground clearance, and tracks well in mud, but I cannot carry weight in it.... So, the RJ70 has been relegated to my wife, who is quite happy with it.

I am looking to convert my 3F/H55 tranny to a diesel. A fellow in Bolivia -- an airplane mechanic and obviously talented -- has taken the time to write up details on how he converted his 3F to a 14BT. If you'd like to download that document try: http://www.gscruiserparts.com/3F_to_14BT_in_FJ70.html. This is an invaluable resource with detailed explanations and images for folks looking to do a conversion.

As some of you may know, LCs in Central America generally are diesel but in South America, I have only seen gas engines -- 2F, 3F, 1FZ, etc. The challenge is to find an acceptable diesel engine in Ecuador. I am either looking at taking one out of a bus/truck or importing from Central America, Japan or Australia. Any thoughts there would be welcomed.

My best

Last edited:
shumacpacha said:
The challenge is to find an acceptable diesel engine in Ecuador. I am either looking at taking one out of a bus/truck or importing from Central America, Japan or Australia. Any thoughts there would be welcomed.

My best

Call G&S cruiser parts. I am sure you can find a link here on mud.

My vote would be for a 13B-T, great engine.

To keep costs to a minimum an "H" series engine like an "H", "2H", "12H-T" will all bolt up to your current transmission. The "B" series engines like the "B", "3B", "13B-T" and "14B-T" will require swapping the tranny input shaft or a different tranny.

I assume you have Coaster buses and Dyna trucks there. What engine do they use?

cruiser_guy said:
To keep costs to a minimum an "H" series engine like an "H", "2H", "12H-T" will all bolt up to your current transmission. The "B" series engines like the "B", "3B", "13B-T" and "14B-T" will require swapping the tranny input shaft or a different tranny.

I assume you have Coaster buses and Dyna trucks there. What engine do they use?
Estimado cruiser_guy,

Thanks for the advice. I am just beginning to check out the diesel motor market in Ecuador, so still have a way to go... I'll keep my eyes open for an "H" engine. I am not sure what the older Coasters and Dynas driving about the Andes have inside (yes, they are ubiquitous), but the 2006 Dynas come with a turbocharged 4.6 lt SO5C-TA (in case you were curious, the specs for these and the local LCs can be found at: http://www.toyota.com.ec/especificaciones.php?id_modelo=29

I found a mechanic in Quito who claims he has mated a Dyna engine (must have been a "B" or "H" series) to FJ70/75s. I am not convinced, but will do some research over the next few weeks. Will let you know what I find...

Kind regards

Last edited:
Another option could be to get a crate (brand new) 1HZ motor from Toyota. A friend of mine did that a couple of years ago after he blew his. A recond motor was going to set him back $10,000AU, whereas a new one from Toyota cost him about $12,000AU. Two grand different and he had a brand new motor.

Here in Panamá ( saludos desde acá ) all coasters ( old ones ) comes with 2H engine until 90 I thought .. after that comes with 1HZ engine ..

A little one production from 92 -93 comes with 1HD-T engine without good results .. coz something related with engine brake and craked head.

Tapage said:
Here in Panamá ( saludos desde acá ) all coasters ( old ones ) comes with 2H engine until 90 I thought .. after that comes with 1HZ engine ..

Really!! Here at the wreckers the Coaster buses I've seen all have the "B" series engines.

Milo said:
Another option could be to get a crate (brand new) 1HZ motor from Toyota. A friend of mine did that a couple of years ago after he blew his. A recond motor was going to set him back $10,000AU, whereas a new one from Toyota cost him about $12,000AU. Two grand different and he had a brand new motor.
Cruiser guy,

Interesting that you make that suggestion... I just got a message from the parts dept. at Casbaca, the major distributor of Toyota in Ecuador. The guy told me that he could import a brand new 4.2 turbo diesel engine (which one???) for USD12,000. He also was kind enough to mention the name of a back street mechanic who does nothing else but gas to diesel conversions. I think I'll go that route first to see what he advises. Will let you know how things turn out...

cruiser_guy said:
Really!! Here at the wreckers the Coaster buses I've seen all have the "B" series engines.

You would need one with the designation

HZB 30 31 36 40 41 46 50 56 78

or if you were really lucky a HDB 20 30 31 50 51 turbo model;)

I believe they made some with 12HT but Ive never seen one:D

shumacpacha said:
Cruiser guy,

Interesting that you make that suggestion... I just got a message from the parts dept. at Casbaca, the major distributor of Toyota in Ecuador. The guy told me that he could import a brand new 4.2 turbo diesel engine (which one???) for USD12,000. He also was kind enough to mention the name of a back street mechanic who does nothing else but gas to diesel conversions. I think I'll go that route first to see what he advises. Will let you know how things turn out...

You would want to make sure that is turnkey motor otherwise collecting all the pieces to finish it off would cripple your wallet.

shumacpacha said:
Cruiser guy,

I can't take that credit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom