Marilu 2012 Upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Well .. been a while since last upgrades thread .. actually 2010 was the last one and this was suppose to be the 2011 thread .. anyhow ... it took me a while .. actually much more than planned finish it .. ( all targets for 2011 upgrades ).

As usual reference .. last upgrade thread ..

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/397209-marilu-upgrades-ver-2010-a.html

Was an old intention put a top mounted intercooler in Marilu .. actually I kinda like 'em, coz to me it's always more important keep my front clear for AC performance ( important topic down here ). I wish 80 / 60 series have more space in front to punt an front mounted intercooler along with huge fans and still keep your factory AC condenser mock up ..

Here how this journey start back in 2011 ..

main.php

main.php

main.php

As I was working in the idea of the intercooler decide pull the trigger with Graeme's turbos .. that was a long wait too .. coz that Turbo was sitting in one corner of my work bench for almost 2 years ..

Meanwhile I broke Tencha's front ARB, more stuff on Tencha ( including hydroboost and other mist stuff .. ) so all of those " issues " put pauses in my Marilu's project ..

Good thing it's had time to collect all necessary parts to accomplish my mission .. and I never loose my path ..

It's Mazda's RX7 Intercooler .. after more measurements decide that was the good one for the mission but the adapter flange to the intake .. damn that was the complicated part ..

main.php

Initially I was exploring the idea of an adapter from the intake manifold ( rectangular shape ) to the IC outlet which it's round .. well hard to realize that wasn't gonna happen in my case due to short space between engine and hood .. actually 70 series what have more elevated body have plenty more space .. what make much more simple few things ..

main.php

Day come when I have all that I need and I start with the turbo swap ..

main.php

It took me good 20 hours of hard labor on one weekend ..

main.php

that include clocking G turbo unit and some fab ..

main.php

My idea was one shot .. turbo swap and intercooler

main.php

G Turbo on my manifold ready to go ..

main.php

main.php

main.php

Putting the complete assembly back in place was huge PITA ( working alone .. )

main.php

night caught me so I decide to continue next day .. coz my exhaust was other huge pita ( 3" from turbo flange ) to remove and put back on ..

main.php

main.php

Didn't have many pics of the IC process but will post ( have few in my phone ) the real interesting part there was the put and weld of the adapter to the IC

main.php

main.php

well looks like I did it well .. ( I'm not good with measurements .. :lol: )

main.php

Few things come in the process as due to height of IC I wasn't be able to use the stock accelerator cable bracket ..

main.php

Last edited:
Made to work and finish all that weekend .. but my mod to the accelerator bracket didn't work as expected and first day used ( Marilu it's my DD ) in my way to my office I only was able to reach about 20mph .. ( had few inches of cable travel )

Well that first week few other " issues " had to be addressed and sorted out .. final result keeps me very happy .. keeping in mind I came from CT26 then 3" short straight pipe then 14 PSI then water / alcohol injection then supra mod to my CT26 then 20 PSI .. and so on ..

main.php

main.php

main.php

Part of my plans .. since I spend good amount of time on down town traffic ..

main.php

As part of my upgrades was this .. bluesea fuse block .. and 2nd battery

main.php

Still have room to organize and clean the hole installation .. but I'm working on it ..

main.php

main.php

Mishimoto Fan it's controlled manually by me .. and I'm using the ETC switch on my dash .. since I no longer have real use for it since my tranny swap .. manage to still have the PWR light in the dash when the FAN it's on .. :D ( do like the electricity / electronic part of the game )

Also tap my IC with water / alcohol nozzle and other one to get boost signal ..

main.php

not that much space down here ..

main.php

Scoop search .. that was loooooooong wait .. coz I didn't find the right one or the one that I like .. this one it's copy from Mustang model ..

main.php

and yes .. cut the hood skeleton and no .. did not have any problems ( yet ) with rigidness on my hood .. not flimsy at all ..

main.php

Side bars .. was nice last minute score and manage to install 'em yesterday along with ARB side steps ..

main.php

Did not perform any scientific test .. yet .. and I don't thing I will .. better happy thinking ( or imaging ) that I have bunch of more powa .. :D the only real test it's I can turn my Toyo OP MT smoke white in 2nd gear ..

Big thanks to couple of guys that really help me in this project ..

First in the list needs to be Crushers .. thanks mate ! and few other friends from Panamá, Horacio, Tito, Iván, Julian and sure my wife for the enormous amount of patient that she have when I'm playing Cruisers .. ( I disconnect myself from the rest of the world )

Looks like a lot of work, hope you enjoy your new 10 second 80!

Still didn't make any mod to my aneroid pin .. but do increase IP fuel to the point can no longer keep idle from going nuts ..

G turbo it's set to 24 PSI ..

Awesome work David!!

I'm very jealous of your fleet!

:cheers:

thanks pal .. at least you will have one Cruiser to drive if you pass by .. :D

Still need to dedicate some time to work on IC rubber thingy to make the seal between IC and hood .. din't take pic of that but on front it's pretty close to the hood ( like inch or less ) so that won't be a problem .. more work will be required in the back ..

Nice job ,I thought you would have used the scoop from a Nissan Patrol;)

Bravo, good upgrade!.
did you get any MPG improve?
thanks for share it

Nice job ,I thought you would have used the scoop from a Nissan Patrol;)

was way to hard to find locally and .. was bit more tight than this one .. since the core of my IC it's 12" X 13"

did you get any MPG improve?

have no idea .. and honestly that's not my target at all .. powa it's my real target and motivation ..

Congrats David, looks very pro.

glad that chunk of aluminum worked out in the end.

cheers
and enjoy.

Nice job. So with 24psi you are burning cool and clean at maximum fuel?

Nice job. So with 24psi you are burning cool and clean at maximum fuel?

I'm running clean .. no black smoke .. but it's my target add more fuel .. need to work on that with the aneroid pin mod ..

Some hints .. that's how this adapter idea starts .. ( first pic courtesy goes to Sylvain Chevineau who actually gave me some light in where to start the adapter .. thanks dude .. ! )

main.php

and end with this ..

attachment.php

I will add this as reference .. ( it's at scale )

main.php

and this ..

main.php

Have the original ( scale size ) images .. and have scan pdf / DWG / DXF files if you want to start this jurney .. just drop me pm if you need / want 'em .. that will help you in the flange cutting section.

Another thing that you may want to know it's the intake manifold flange sit's at ( very odd ) 32° which play important part when are you ready to weld or define your IC position ..

Any other question feel free to ask ..

Last edited:
Very good. Now all you need is a pressure or temperature switch for the fan. But I would keep the manual over-ride and a "power" button is perfect for that.

Hi Tapage,l received my badboy 2 two days ago,and l spent 5 yesterday n got the badboy in there yesterdayboosting 14 psi,haven't play with fuel n aneroid pin yet,what kind of boost controller r u using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom