Intercooler installation on HJ61 with 12h-t (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I've pretty much completed the installation of a 600mm front mount intercooler on my HJ61 Landcruiser fitted with a 12h-t and done a write up at Intercooler installation website

dscf4197_med.jpeg

Dyno performance testing has not been done yet, but prior to the intercooler it was pulling 450nm at 1700rpm.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Tim

Well, a 60mm steel roo bar should deflect most things!

I'm looking at what I can do with the original grill to refit it back into position. I'll have to cut a lot out of it, but have a sense it will fit.

I'm not so worried about damage to the FMIC, it's the appearance I'd like to return to standard if possible. The grill is losing it's chroming, so I'm likely to clean it up and spray it black - maybe leaving the TOYOTA nice and shiny.

A determined malingerer could damage it, but so could they stick a screwdriver through my tyres.

Tim

Looks Nice ,
Did you make provisions for a drain on the bottom outlet of the cooler.
On mine I have a drain into the lowest section out ,going to a hose and valve, don't want it to let water in if i've misjudged the depth, But on making sure Im dry and boosting , if i open the valve and catch any flow, I can monitor the oil leakage / water build up.

Many turbo euro cars have a hole that is blowing into a catch skirt, Quick checks are to lift the skirt , and see if the catch is full .

1.5 mm or 1/16 is the tube size ..
Very small .

VT

Good to hear from you Talos,

I went on an envious little tour of Iceland via your photo links, pretending to research your intercooler before I installed mine :)
I found your installation postings from a while ago at https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/181830-hj-61-intercooling-thread.html and notice the photos have disappeared. Can you reinstate them?

Is yours a full width 600mm?
I'm wondering if the larger gap between the lights and the IC on yours is because the lights are smaller on the single headlight model, or whether the IC you installed is smaller.

I

Tim

Last edited:
Looking tops ,
I know it's a different cruiser but what I did with the lower metal grill I bought a second one and bent, cut, fabbed it onto the orig. to keep it factory looking as far as possible , with the plastic grill I buzzed all the plastic support bits on the back side of then got to it with the heat gun and a few extra hands to mould it to the intercooler shape while i was heating it.
The plastic grill also looks nearly as std as possible and still seems to be fairly strong ,the grills only cosmetics any ways .
675626c2.jpg

Talos said:
The page I hosted the pics on went through a facelift the other year so the links changed.

the album is here: HJ-61 1987

I think mine is 600mm yes, didn´t measure it though.

I think the lights aren´t as far inwards on the 61 vs. the 62.

Hey Talos, that's some rebuild. Impressive indeed!

Thanks for the the photos of it all, particularly the intercooler setup. It clearly shows the difference space with the various models, RHD vs LHD, four headlight vs two headlight etc. Good references for others.

Tim

american psycho said:
Her's my 1987 61 with intercooler. Grill still fits with plenty of room and AFAICS the radiator is not moved.

Thanks for the photos.

It's not so clear, but I'm running an air conditioner as well, so the condenser pushes the FMIC mounting out further forward.

BTW, I'm getting a 40*C drop across the FMIC measured after I stop, so it is probably a lot more under running conditions.

Also, Instead of my EGTs sitting around 400*C pre turbo at highway speeds, they are now 300*C, which is a great result from the FMIC..

Tim

Thanks for the photos.

It's not so clear, but I'm running an air conditioner as well, so the condenser pushes the FMIC mounting out further forward.

BTW, I'm getting a 40*C drop across the FMIC measured after I stop, so it is probably a lot more under running conditions.

Also, Instead of my EGTs sitting around 400*C pre turbo at highway speeds, they are now 300*C, which is a great result from the FMIC..

Tim
So your suggesting with 40*C drop across IC your getting 100*C drop in EGT..... the only change being the IC install... I'm interested how this is possible.... I would like to see some more accurate temp readings whilst the vehicle is in motion with temp readings taken simultaneously ....

So would I mate, I'm interested too. They are many variables when you drive hard them stop quickly and jump out to measure the temperatures. I have access to a data logger which I will try to get hold of and provide some Values from the outside of the intercooler pipes.

What I can say is that at 100kmh my EGT are 280*C and before the FMIC installation it was close to 400*C. How does that compare to other 12h-t's?

Tim

My silver wagon runs ~360-380 at 100kmph on flat road, on diesel. Pre turbo of course.

I would like to see photos from all you guys of how you plumbed the intercooler, especially how you fit it back onto the shutoff valve.

dousty said:
My silver wagon runs ~360-380 at 100kmph on flat road, on diesel. Pre turbo of course.

I would like to see photos from all you guys of how you plumbed the intercooler, especially how you fit it back onto the shutoff valve.

The photos are on my website writeup and the link is in the first post of this thread.

Not sure what you mean by the shutoff valve? ??on the inlet manifold?

Talos and I went different routes. Let me know if the photos clear it up for you.

Tim

The photos are on my website writeup and the link is in the first post of this thread.

Not sure what you mean by the shutoff valve? ??on the inlet manifold?

Talos and I went different routes. Let me know if the photos clear it up for you.

Tim

Those photo's do clear it up thanks. I didn't think there was room beneath the bonnet to clear a 90* bend. Did you do something to make it fit or am I wrong?

dousty said:
Those photo's do clear it up thanks. I didn't think there was room beneath the bonnet to clear a 90* bend. Did you do something to make it fit or am I wrong?

Nope, nothing special. It's a standard silicone elbow. Clearance is less coming forward, but okay above the intake.

We got some stainless flanges made up at a laser cutting place out of ?8mm stainless. Gave them a gasket and they matched it. We got three made for A$66.

Tim

Ok sweet, thanks for the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom