12volt winch on 24 volt truck ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kling-on

Kool Arrow
Threads
Website
www.texas4x4.org
I had a guy come to the store from Southamerica and get 12 winch motors to put on 24volt winched cause they're faster ???? anyone heard of this does it work ???? would you still need a 24 solinoid box or could you just bolt a 12volt winch on ???? and have a hyper dive winch ????:hillbilly:

yes, it will work.... for some time, until the operating smoke rises from the winch.. AFAIK you will still need the 24v solenoid box however...

yes, it will work.... for some time, until the operating smoke rises from the winch.. AFAIK you will still need the 24v solenoid box however...

Mmmmm COOL

So the 8274 is safe to use at 24v? No modification required?

Thanks

You need 24V solenoids. As for it being safe, I can't say. However, everyone I have talked says they work a treat. I've 3 8274s sitting on the floor waiting for me to rebuild them. I am not planning on getting the motor rewound until I have to.

So the 8274 is safe to use at 24v? No modification required?

Thanks

I think crushers does this, or at least advocates it.

been doing this for years now, no mods to anything.
very fast
very strong
only killed one due to running on 24V, then swapped it to a 12V truck and did a heavy pull and it quit. strange since i had been bouncing it from 12V to 24V trucks often.

in theory there is no way this should work. i have proven it does. long or short pulls, hard or easy makes no difference.

BUT

it is your winch, your money and as everything in life, there is risk.

if worried then don't do it.

me, i will continue to do it. the power is unreal.

So you just bolts a 12 volt winch on ... Solinoid box and all

i beleive that is what i posted. that is what i do.
<use at own risk>

i beleive that is what i posted. that is what i do.
<use at own risk>

Cool ... Kinda sounded like you burnt up a 24 first and put a 12 on, just wanted to make sure... No worrys I have a junk yard winch that worksbut need a over haul I'll test it out and let everyone know how it goes.... Thx for the info

And I won't hold you to I workin just wanted the best info before I tryed it;)

actually it was a 12V fom the get go but i do recommend you do the test with a good running winch.
not a fair test if corroded or full of mud...

actually it was a 12V fom the get go but i do recommend you do the test with a good running winch.
not a fair test if corroded or full of mud...

It'll be cleaned up real good first

yah, i am not sure why it works at all.
the first time was an accidental hookup on a BJ40, the results were WAY beyond satisfying so i left it that way.
then we tested it on other vehicles.

strange, maybe Bruce or some electrician can explain it. i can't.

yep, burnt the motor ... not sure if it was the motor or if it was the condition of the motor when i tried it.

not sure why it made a difference but won't do it again with the old Bellview winches... wicked winches though, loved mine.

I'm also running a 12v 8274 on my 24v HJ61 after speaking with Wayne. As noted, it is FAST! Just have to get used to clicking it on and off to avoid tearing off extremities! I don't use it often so I'm not too worried about cooking it...got a really good deal on the winch :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom