Another 3B turbo build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
So I started this a month ago, work has been getting in the way so it's taking forever. At last I see the light at the end of the tunnel and am almost done.
Specs:
1984 BJ60 with a stock 3B and 514,000km on the factory engine with no rebuild. Other then minor maintenance, alternator, starter and water pump replaced, injectors done a while ago but that's it.

The turbo is from an early 80s Mercedes 300D, rebuilt by ADP in Port Kells (Langley), needed minor machining done on the bearing surface and comes with a 1 year warranty. Cost $450. The turbo was donated to me by a friend.

The manifold is custom built by me, 1/2" thick steel for flanges machined by a friend, all done by hand plasma cutter. Steel costs $0, all stock from other projects already paid for. Also fabricated an extra support for under the turbo (the idea I got from the factory 13BT manual) that bolts onto the oil filter assemby as well as acts as an exhaust system bracket.

Lines and fittings, all purchased from Greenline in Vancouver and New Line in Port Kells, under $100 for all but I was doing extra sensors.

Exhaust addition, bought a pre bent 180 2.5" pipe from KMS and some exhaust flanges from a parts place $ 37. Made the flange for the turbo myself. The existing exhaust that went to the factory manifold got cut down and a flange welded on, there's a flex pipe right below the flange. That way the next time I need to re do the exhaust it doesn't have to go to the turbo.

Air filter box needed to be shortened due to the location of the turbo, it was too tight of a 90, so I modified the stock one.

Guages, I'm installing an EGT, Boost, Oil pressure guage from Glow Shift $150, which turned out to be a birth day present from a really, really good friend - I'm still trying to give him money for it. Also a water temperature guage is going in, from Princess Auto $35. The guage cluster, also built by me is all 18ga sheet metal, bent, and welded with hidden mounting screws.

What's left: Ceramic coating of the manifold, and exhaust extension. Powder coating of everything else that is metal. Buying the air hoses and 90s for the intake. making an exhaust gasket for the output of the turbo, apparently Mercedes doesn't even have a part number for it, if someone has one - please help!
Installation and finish wiring of the sensors, relocate my on board shower setup and fire it up - I really hope after all this it works.

now for the pics:
IMG_3023.jpg
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3029.jpg

great looking manifold . be nice to see what it looks like coated. keep this updated , im going to add a turbo to my 3b soon

Super nice job on the manifold. High temp ceramic i hope.
Have you put a gauge on your oil source yet?

yes I did, got an oil pressure guage on the capped off output out of the oil pump (the main internal line heading to the filter). It's in post 5, second pic. Finding the adaptor from BSPT to NPT was a nightmare. The block is tapped with a BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tapered) 1/8" fitting, all the guages are NPT (National Pipe Tapered) 1/8", the BSPT has 28 threads per inch while the NPT has 27, also the British 1/8" is slighlty smaller then the NPT - bloody complications!

Thanks, I haven't decided on the coating yet but after all the time I put into it I'm getting the best.

Finding the adaptor from BSPT to NPT was a nightmare. The block is tapped with a BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tapered) 1/8" fitting, all the guages are NPT (National Pipe Tapered) 1/8", the BSPT has 28 threads per inch while the NPT has 27, also the British 1/8" is slighlty smaller then the NPT - bloody complications!

Where did you source your adapter? I have an oil pressure gauge that I need to install on my 3B and I haven't yet looked for the adapter.

nice gusset work
now you know why I said it's easier to just buy one

Sick manifold

Nice work Fantom!
Whats the weight of that manifold, it sure looks heavy duty.
I am suprised how clean your engine is for over half million km...
also, sick gauge cluster.
me liky:D

Where did you source your adapter? I have an oil pressure gauge that I need to install on my 3B and I haven't yet looked for the adapter.

As mentioned above, it was from New Line in Port Kells, they are the only ones in town that I have found to carry a BSPT to NPT (Male to male - only thing they had), due to the rarity it's not cheap. List price is $17.00, the guys were nice to me and I got it for $12.00. Since they are so rare and I might need it for something else or a trail spare I grabbed 2. If they are out of stock you can borrow mine as long as I get one back.

nice gusset work
now you know why I said it's easier to just buy one
Easier, yes, better, doubt it, as much fun and as much satisfaction, no way in hell.

you going to paint that valve cover wile your in there?

Likely not going to have time, maybe one day.

thanks guys

as for making more manifolds, maybe, but it would be a special case. I still have to finish off some other projects first.

oh..and the weight, I haven't measured that but it weighs about the same as the turbo itself, maybe a little more.

So sick

I keep revisiting this post, it is so sick.
I cant wait to see/hear it installed & running!
:clap:

Looks great. I'm going to do the same soon. Time for a turbo on the old 70.

A note on the adapter, I bought a cheapo oil pressure guage from crappy tire, Equus was the brand I think. Cost about 8 bucks, comes with the adapter. Worth that for the adapter, crappy little guage is a bonus.

cheers,
ryan

As mentioned above, it was from New Line in Port Kells, they are the only ones in town that I have found to carry a BSPT to NPT (Male to male - only thing they had), due to the rarity it's not cheap. List price is $17.00, the guys were nice to me and I got it for $12.00. Since they are so rare and I might need it for something else or a trail spare I grabbed 2. If they are out of stock you can borrow mine as long as I get one back.

Easier, yes, better, doubt it, as much fun and as much satisfaction, no way in hell.

Likely not going to have time, maybe one day.

thanks guys

as for making more manifolds, maybe, but it would be a special case. I still have to finish off some other projects first.

oh..and the weight, I haven't measured that but it weighs about the same as the turbo itself, maybe a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom