2013 San Rafael Swell! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jonharis

Adventure Imports
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
It was by far our biggest and best attended run last year and a favorite of many. I would like to beat it this year! For a primer of the incredible scenery and terrain of the Swell see last years' thread here. Pics start at post #111.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-book-cl...ernight-march-30-april-1-a-6.html#post7504077

The dates for the overnight are March 22-24. Base Camp will again be at Lone Warrior.

We will also be doing an extended backroads into the Swell begining on Monday March 18th.

Agenda:
Monday March 18: Meet at camp site west of Blanding.

Tuesday March 19: Depart camp and drive Elk Ridge and Beef Basin Camp near Lockhart Basin.

Wednesday March 20: Drive Lockhart, Chicken Corners and Hurrah Pass to Moab. Camp near Spring Bottom/Dubinkey Well off of highway 313. Dinner in Moab if time permits.

Wednedsay Alternate: Several people are interested in going direct to the Swell early. Please post up if you plan on camping at Lone Warrior in the day's before the main event.

Thursday March 21: Head north from Dubinkey exploring White Wash and work towards Green River. Potential Stop at the White Sand's Missile site. Cross the green River and look for camp.

Thursday Alternate: Several people are interested in going direct to the Swell early. Please post up if you plan on camping at Lone Warrior in the day's before the main event.

Friday March 22: Drive south on the San Rafael Road exploring the area as we go. Stop in Goblin Valley for a few hours. Enter the Swell from Temple Mountain and drive to camp at Lone Warrior.

Saturday March 23: Loop run through the swell. Let's change it up a bit from last year but my vote would be to stay in the northern swell area. We may divide into two groups (more difficult and less difficult) Matt's Pot Luck extravaganza on Saturday Night.

Sunday March 24: Drive Black Dragon Canyon to Green River. Lunch and goodbyes at Ray's Tavern!

Attendees:
1. Jonharis (100 Series)
2. Bluecruiser (100 Series)
3. Ace (FJ Cruiser)
4. Dagored (FJ Cruiser)
6. Riderjgs (74 FJ55) The Pig
7. 2wheelbob (???)
8. hicntryflyguy (3gen 4runner)
9. Galen (FJ40)
10. Ranch hand (80 Series)
11. Robert B. (???)
12. Austin H. (???)
13. Mike (Ruger Trailers)( *Jeep* ) but we wont hold that against him, there are a few other Jeep owners here
14. White Elephant (???)
15. Ryan R (FJ)
16. IceAxe (The Bumble Bee) 80 Series
17. Cory (Ryan's Friend)
18. Shredlighty (FJ60)

Notes: Please Send me a PM with your email address so that I can send specific details on campsites and Google earth files. I will not be posting this information publicly.

Matt will be providing the main course for Saturday night. Please bring cash to pitch in to cover his cost. It will be worth it! Also, please bring a side dish and so we don't get 14 bowls of chilli, please post up what you intend to bring.

Pot Luck Participants (this is just a copy paste and will be updated as info comes in:

1. hicntryflyguy --- Thinking -- Spiral Honey Baked Ham
2. Bluecruiser
3. Ace
4. Dagored
6. Riderjgs
7. 2wheelbob
8. jonharis - Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler
9. Galen
10. Ranch hand
11. Robert B.
12. Austin H.
13. Mike (Ruger Trailers)
14. White Elephant
15. Ryan R
16. IceAxe
17. Cory (Ryan's friend)
18. Shredlighty

Contact Info:

CB: Channel 13 (Primary) Channel 15 (Alternate)
2M: 146.460

ALL Please Bring Firewood if you can!
Also, I would ask everyone to pick up a few wag bags. We have two porta-poty/seats for them and a tent that I will bring. They can be found at wal-mart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Double-Doodie-Bags/14550463

Fuel:
If you are joining us for the long way in please bring extra fuel. Although we will stop for fuel in Moab and Green River, distances between these towns, especially Wednesday and Friday can bring some vehicles close to empty. I would recommend 10 gallons as a starting point.

If only attending for the weekend, most vehicles will be fine with one tank of gas (~200mile range off road). Be sure to top off in Green River (coming from east) or Salina (coming from west). Some of you may need an extra 5 gallons

Food: There will be opportunity to stop for food/firewood supplies in Moab and Green River. Please be cognizant of the group regarding time stopped. Note: there is only one liquor store in Moab and one in Green River and "fake" beer can be purchased at gas stations. Plan accordingly (read get your fix in another state). :beer:

City Market Moab
Mellon Vine Food Store - Green River

Last edited:
I hope I can make it out this year but if everything pans out I will be riding my motorcycle around Thailand during the latter half of March and into early April. :cool: For anyone who hasn't done this run yet, make it a priority, it is a blast!

I hope I can make it out this year but if everything pans out I will be riding my motorcycle around Thailand during the latter half of March and into early April. :cool: For anyone who hasn't done this run yet, make it a priority, it is a blast!

Cmon Ryan! Thailand can wait! ;)

I prefer the March 22-24th date. Gives me a little more time before another trip out that way for Cruise Moab.

Thanks

Doesn't matter much to me but make it late and it's too close to CM13, too early and weather could be trouble.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

March 22-24 :steer:

Would work for me as long as I don't have to follow a black 100 series :wrench::doh:

Pot Luck dinner night again? :cheers:

oh yea, need to go by the scene of the crime and place flowers for the fallen yota.

Watching the dates, would love to join you guys down there. Fwiw the Wasatch Cruisers will be doing a CM Swell Pre-Run sometime in March as well.

I prefer the March 22-24th date. Gives me a little more time before another trip out that way for Cruise Moab.

Thanks

March 22-24 :steer:

Would work for me as long as I don't have to follow a black 100 series :wrench::doh:

Pot Luck dinner night again? :cheers:

oh yea, need to go by the scene of the crime and place flowers for the fallen yota.

Watching the dates, would love to join you guys down there. Fwiw the Wasatch Cruisers will be doing a CM Swell Pre-Run sometime in March as well.

Well it's looking like the 22-24 works best for most people. I have received a few emails stating the same as well. Let's set it in stone. March 22-24 will be the official date.

Kurt, We hope to see you down there. I should shape up to be a pretty epic trip.

Chris: I'm in for a couple day overland trip beforehand traveling from Moab to the Swell via dirt. Count me in!

Matt. Pot luck dinner night on Friday or Saturday for sure. Can't wait to see what you bring to the table!

I'd like to do the added days enroute. I'm always ready for more dirt-time.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Sounds like a plan....let's get the route set for Moab to the Swell...this should fun...

Cool. So 2 nights would get us from Moab to Lone Warrior. 3 from grand junction. We could kick things off Tuesday or Wednesday.

:bounce: I'm in for Thursday - Sunday. :bounce:

:hmm: I'll start working on something for the potluck :idea:

Good deal, food and exploring...I could do that every day...

Cool, it's posted on FB. The weather could be anything from snowy to 70 degrees. It will be a rain or shine trip so plan accordingly as we get closer. The back way route can easily be accessed via I-70 so if anyone wants to join in you will be able to get to us. A defined route and stopping points will be posted at a later date.

Where's dubbah?

Soooo convenient...first weekend of spring break for District 51. May well have a Pig on at least part of the trip before we split off for the Mohave/Joshua Tree for some family time.

Soooo convenient...first weekend of spring break for District 51. May well have a Pig on at least part of the trip before we split off for the Mohave/Joshua Tree for some family time.

That would be great! I would love to see the Pig in action!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom