Rubbermaid Actionpacker (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been using several different types and brands of boxes for car camping, trail riding, hunting and home storage. I am mainly looking to get something for camping but if its useful for the other applications then that's a bonus.
I have destroyed just about all and any type of plastic containers. I came across the action packer and thought it is the best box out there or at least a great box. I want to solicit others opinions on these. the only negative I can see is the price.
ActionPacker® Cargo Box / Bin | Rubbermaid

Thanks

I like them quite a bit. I have a large that holds most of my camp kitchen items, a medium one that holds my off road essentials, and can chain it into my 40, and a small one mounted to my trailer that I usually keep straps and motorcycle riding gear in. I havent had any issues with them breaking or breaking down from sunlight. The one one my trailer sits outside year round.

Hi All:

I bought one of these Rubermaid Actionpacker cargo boxes like ten years ago.

The actual "box" of the one I bought is constructed of a thin plastic that has not held up well; it has several holes in the "box" now (though the lid and latches have been fine.)

Dunno if the current production units are constructed of thicker plastic.

Regards,

Alan

I'm not that impressed with the Action Packers. The lid is fairly sturdy but the sides are not. They will bulge out if you put some weight on it. Plus the lid is not at all waterproof.
Home Depot has a much sturdier box. Forgot the name, it has some sort of eco label to it and a bunch of indents up top for cups or cans. Much stronger and the lid completely covers the bottom so it should be pretty good for water. And can be tied down much better too. And they stack positively unlike the AP that don't at all. Heavier though. 20 gals IIRC. About $30+tx.

I have used 2 action packers, they went up on the rear storage across the cargo barrier, one had all the good car spares in it, the other was the xmas box [so named because when you do 2-3 weeks in the desert, you pack all the second ones of anything in that box, and after you run out of other stuff, its like xmas when you open it to unpack all the things you forgot you had, so it was the xmas box!]

we stood, sat and packed them, dear, but worked well.

mccrae80-235.jpg

mccrae80-236.jpg

mccrae80-229.jpg

Looking at these for them now.

P1010163-1-289x216.jpg

Whoa! Check it out... the Bionic action packer. Weird.

We have been using these things for years (just the regular packers, not the Bionic). They do ok. Pretty tough. But yeah, not water tight, and they dont stack well. We use both medium (which at times seems a little too small), and large (which at times seems a little too big). I wish there was a size in between. I have yet to find something better for the price. Interested in whatever e9999s talking about.
9.jpg

Last edited:
The action packers are nice because of their rigidity & locking lids, but their blow-molded shape means they waste a lot of space, I found.

I am currently using these flip top totes I got at Home Depot for stuff I carry inside the vehicle now:

160_03862.jpg

My large ActionPacker looked rugged but in reality the walls are thin and can break easy depending on how much action you give it. I will use it until it is destroyed but was disappointing to see the hole or two when I didn't think I had abused it.

My large ActionPacker looked rugged but in reality the walls are thin and can break easy depending on how much action you give it. I will use it until it is destroyed but was disappointing to see the hole or two when I didn't think I had abused it.

yes, I do have one and it looks like it is not rigid enough to sleep on top of. And as mentioned above, the shape is a bit odd although it might help to squeeze it next to the wheelwells.
Here is the one from Homedepot I mentioned:
20-Gallon Multi-Purpose Storage Container-43118 at The Home Depot
Note that I think it would be waterproof sitting in the rain given the overlapping top, but I don't think it would be if it were on your roof driving in the rain where the water can be blown in, since it does not have a gasket (although I'm looking at adding one). There is a bigger one too, but I think it's too big for my truck uses. The 20 gal one is not as tall as the 24 Action packer one either, so it's easier to stack in the truck, easier to sleep on, and less protruding if on the roof rack. Plus it has a big hinge which would help with retention in case of a rollover. That thing is perfectly rigid.

I have been using several different types and brands of boxes for car camping, trail riding, hunting and home storage. I am mainly looking to get something for camping but if its useful for the other applications then that's a bonus.
I have destroyed just about all and any type of plastic containers. I came across the action packer and thought it is the best box out there or at least a great box. I want to solicit others opinions on these. the only negative I can see is the price.
ActionPacker® Cargo Box / Bin | Rubbermaid

Thanks

The Action Packer has sort of become the go-to camping box for quite a while now because once you step up from Rubbermaid-ish storage containers the prices can go waaaay up. Not saying you don't get what you pay for with regards to Pelican, Hardigg, ECS, Alu-Box, Zarges, etc, etc, but Action Packers are actually pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things and very easy to come by. I can find them in at least 3 stores in my town (maybe 4). Like me most start with Action Packers or something similar and then quickly realize you want it to be sturdier for stacking/strapping down, more water resistant for carrying outside the vehicle, or a more specific size that Rubbermaid doesn't make in order to fit right inside your rig when it's stuffed to the gills.

There are lots of alternatives worth spending your hard-earned $$$ on, but that choice is yours to base on things like budget and how hard/how long you intend to use/need something. Action Packers don't come in many sizes, aren't really weather-resistant, and can be cratered with some abuse, but they really are not that expensive to replace. Something like the ECS Cases Footlocker series has six sizes and 8 colors available, is proven to be watertight, has interlocking shapes on the lid and bottom for great stackability, can take serious abuse, and is 10x more expensive than my 24gal Action Packer... But it will probably outlast me.

:cheers:

It seems like a lot of those high end boxes are super heavy... and I'm not just talking about the price.
Something else to consider...

Last edited:
It seems like a lot of those high end boxes are super heavy... and I'm not just talking about the price.
Something else to consider...

Very true. That's something that's definitely in the Action Packers' favor. Unfortunately the Packers' lightweight, blow-molded construction for the bottom section is also it's weak spot. If only they made the bottom like they did the top. In the end everyone has to find the compromise between weight-savings, durability, and the almighty $$$$ that works for them.

Where's Corey? He's had just about every container imaginable...

So far the best alternative I've found to the Action Packer is made by a company called Iris, but it is too long to fit behind the upright back seat of my FJ Cruiser. Whatever I have, I want to have the option to carry it inside or outside the vehicle. Otherwise I'd be all over it because they're stronger than the Action Packer, have a weather-tight lid with a gasket, and they have indentions on the lid to match the feet on the bottom so they are stackable. They are just a tad heavier than the Rubbermaid container, and about $40ea for the smaller size which is has a 20-21 gallon capacity (depending what site you look at), and is 30"Lx15.4"Wx16"H in size. Cabelas is the only place I've seen them in person, and I liked the construction.

20.4 Gallon Aiirtight Storage Trunk SIA-760D - IRIS USA Inc - storage and organization products home
s7_580269_999_01.jpg

But I still want an ECS Footlocker. :rolleyes:

footlocker-tan_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
The Footlocker is awesome. Perfect BUT the price is a deterrent. If I can't find a better compromise then I may buy one very once in a while till I get the quantity needed. With that being said, I think the Footlocker could be worth the money as well as the Pelican cases. For me it may not be worth the money since they would only be getting use every so often.
Speaking of Pelican cases. I wonder how the Footlocker would stack up against them.

Maybe it was the torture test video from ECS that got me :rolleyes: - Torture Testing Shipping Cases - Extreme ECS Case Tests - YouTube
Maybe I just don't wanna keep giving Corey credit for my list of must-haves...

In any case, I work for a Trimble dealer and every $10k-$30k system that ships from their factory comes through our door in a bright yellow Pelican case.

P1020113.jpg

As the Inventory Manager I love these kinds of cases because they protect gear so well when they have equipment-specific cutouts in the stiff foam. We work with a dealer in D/FW who will do a 3-dimensional scan of any piece of equipment so they can CNC cut the foam repeatedly for any case. I've had them design a shipping case for a $9k laser detection mast that was 4.5ft tall and weighed 80-90lbs. They told me it would still float with the mast inside, lol.

SR300Case.jpg

I know that Pelican makes a bunch of sizes (I've just about seen them all), but they've always been an equipment case to me versus ECS' being more of a shipping-oriented case with more square-ish dimensions that lend themselves to packing camping items better. It's really a case of oranges vs nectarines I guess.

And for the record, there are still two 8gal Action Packers in the back of my FJ from this past weekend.:cheers:

Got 6 of these Action Packers in use since 1992 never had a problem with them but dont know how much has changed to the newer ones.

If you are looking for 100% dust and watertight boxes try to get the $$ Pelicases or similar all else is just a wannabe.

We got Zarges Alu Boxes here in germany, you can even get them in a watertight edition but the aluminum blackens things that move inside.

You may have a look at some surplus stores for some cheap good boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom