Yellowstone Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kent

Pedal Head
SILVER Star
Threads
Thinking of camping a few days in Yellowstone end of September. I haven't been there since I was 3.

Any recommendations on which campground to stay in? We'd prefer one with showers. Wife is not impressed with cold weather camping but we know anything could happen with weather that time of year.

We'll have a 4 yr old with us and will be car camping, no backcountry hike in stuff.

How about bears? I have a 9mm pistol but it's obviously not a good choice for bears. Would it be inappropriate to tote the 12 gauge around in a backpack? I know it's the wild West but I don't want to stir up trouble and unwanted attention.

I don't think we'll do any serious backcountry hiking but it would be nice to get out there and explore. Wife is terrified of bears, I hope to see them but not too close :)

Any advice appreciated.

Here is the thing about firearms in Yellowstone, you can now legally have a firearm, but you are completely screwed if you actually fire it within the park. Massive massive fine even if used for self defense. Everything I've read and people I've talked to say that 9mm just makes bears mad.

You are far better off getting a can of bear spray. It's just more reliable and you won't be stuck paying a huge fine.

I preferred the Norris campground because you can sleep by the meadow (bears) along the river. Across the toad is the Norris geysers. Pretty darn cool.

Thanks for the info. Huge fines for self defense? Nice.

We may look into lodging and cabins too, wife isn't going to be impressed if we're camping in 20 degree weather.

I have been up there a couple of times with the family the past few years. We have camped at the Canyon Campground both times. It's centrally located, to enable you to do a loop to the north one day and one to the south and easy close- by day trips and hikes to other cool stops. There are showers walking distance from the campsites.

I would recommend bear spray over a gun. Get two while you are at it, one for you and one for your wife. My wife is terrified of bears as well, so I can relate to what you are dealing with there.

Weather can be anything. Bring clothing suitable for 90F to -20F, and dress in layers as the temperature can change allot over the day.

That late in the season, some campgrounds and facilities are closing: Yellowstone National Park - Facilities' Opening & Closing Dates (U.S. National Park Service)

The campgrounds page: Yellowstone National Park - Campgrounds in Yellowstone (U.S. National Park Service)

And finally these guys ( YNet Forums • Index page ) know the most about YNP and GTNP. PS: Don't mention the gun at YNet.;)

Guns vs. Bear Spray. The plain and simple of it. Bear Spray just works. Use as directed and the chance of getting away from a bear charge unscathed is significantly higher than somebody who shoots the bear. If you shoot a bear that is only bluffing there is a 50/50 chance that bluff will turn into a physical attack (mauling). Spraying a bluffing bear with bear spray doesn't have that escalation of aggression issue.

I do suggest learning about how bears act. There are allot of misconceptions out there. One thing most people don't understand is most charges are just bluffs. The bear just wants to chase you away from its self and possibly its cubs. Female bears with cubs are the ones who charge most often. Stay well away from the cubs and never get anywhere near being between momma and her cubs.

Oh, get holsters for the bear spray. Having it in your pack does no good. It needs to be available at a moments notice. A bear can cover 100 yards in seconds.

Looks like we'll be at the Madison campground. The others will have closed when we get there. Thanks for the info, we'll certainly get bear spray.

Scuttlebutt says he was definitely fed on by a bear. Actual cause of death isn't known or hasn't been released yet. They flew in three bear traps into the area, and have a bear DNA sample off the body to compare against. It is a high bear activity area, and is current;y closed. The guy didn't have bear spray, and was solo hiking. They advise carrying bear spray and hiking in groups of at least 3 to 4 people.

I think we'll be in the more "tourist" parts of the park and not off the beaten path. I'm sure bears can show up anywhere in the park but I don't expect to go out on any secluded hikes. I'm not opposed to hiking the wilderness but wife and 4yr old wouldn't be up for it. We'll check out all the main attractions and take the necessary precautions.

Thanks again for the info. We're really looking forward to seeing the park.

This is what we use in Alaska when fishing. Read the statistical evidence for effectiveness and real bear spray makes sense. And as mentioned above: Having it anywhere other than in a holster with super quick to deploy access is not effective planning for surviving a bear encounter ;)

UDAP Bear Deterrent Pepper Spray

A note on bear spray. It must be bear spray and labeled as "bear spray". Not all of the irritants used in the various forms of anti-personnel mace type sprays work on bears. Furthermore they don't spray enough, or far enough to be effective against bears.

Bear spray is over 95% effective at stopping a bear with the first spray. Sometimes it takes additional sprayings to stop persistent bears. Over 98% of the times it has been used the person got away with no harm. In a couple cases the person got a light mauling. On the other hand actually shooting a bear with a gun seams to get the shooter mauled about 50% of the time, and killed some 20% of the time. Given that most bear charges are just bluff charges to get you to go away. I wouldn't take the chance of escalating the charge into an attack.

OK, they have announced the Mary Mountain Trail hiker was killed by the bear.

I do sure hope Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP get off their asses and start to be more like Glacier NP when it comes to warning people about the dangers bears and wolves present. Glacier has warning signs up all over the place and at every trail head warning of bears and suggesting traveling groups and having bear spray. In YNP you may see a notice of bear activity, and that's it. In Glacier NP they also have daily presentation on how to use bear spray. YNP and GTNP both need to do that.

do bells work or is that a joke?

Bells were an attempt to just make more consistent noise. One fellow did attempt to quantify it by testing whether bears seemed to take notice of bells (captive bears tho), any behavioral change which indicated they heard the sound, which based on his observations they didn't.. They seemed more apt to noticeably respond to clapping of hands and loud voices than bells....

Regardless, the idea is sound, don't surprise bears, let them hear you coming through the woods, but bells are prob not the best device to do this.. More cowbell maybe?

Bells are not audible at a far enough range to be effective. It would take cow bell sized bells.

I have some close family friends in the Cody area. Whenever they see someone with 'bear bells' on their person or pack, they call them "dinner bells"...because that is about all they are good for. The family friends make their living going into the mountains (guiding, etc) and insist all of their clients carry bear spray. The intent is that the client can stall the bear until they get there with the shotgun. They know what they are doing, have been doing it for over 30 years, are very cautious, and have had their fair share of bear encounters. Most end with them shouting and the bear sauntering off. But...they have their handy dandy Mossberg when they are shouting. They also have 'bear dogs' in camp that will wake them up if anything 'bearish' comes within smelling distance.

The people I know who have had direct encounters with bear insist on carrying a firearm. 12ga pump with 00buck/slug is great. Round #1 and #2 are 00 buck for a deterrent. #3 and #4 are slugs because, at that point, the sting isn't stopping it and so it is time to end the encounter. A 9mm will bounce off the front of the skull. Most factory 9mm loads are too soft and will mushroom on the thickened skull. A traditional self defense round is meant for a softer target. It will inadequately penetrate the hide and will definitely not go through the skull, sternum, or shoulder of a bear thus you will not impact any vitals. They are the 4-legged tanks of North America. Either bump up in caliber and/or use the hardest bullet you can find. A month ago, I spent a week in the Washakie wilderness (active Grizzly country). I wanted to carry a .45 mag with hardened lead bullets (lead/antimonium alloy). They were very 'hot' hand loads and the intent was to punch a hole through the skull, out the back, and possibly down the length of the body (assuming a frontal charge). I did not care about mushrooming...I just wanted to get past the hide and bone. But, I left it at home and wished I had it on several occasions (didn't see anything...just got a funny feeling a few times).

Taking a firearm is your decision. Are you more concerned about having the responsibility of a firearm in a federal park or the possibility of a bear attacking you or someone in your family. At minimum, I would give each member of your family a can of bear spray and make sure they know how to use it. A whistle is a good idea, too. Recent news articles are proof of the activity and agitation of the bear population within Yellowstone. Statistically, Yellowstone averages one bear encounter with injury per year (source unknown...I just remember it). This year is highly atypical with two deaths and neither victim was not doing anything stupid. Personally, I would read up on the laws governing firearms use in the park and carry accordingly. If you discharge within the park, you will be put under a microscope. As long as you were following park rules (read up on them) and have proof that you were actively being charged then you will likely be fine (i.e. don't tie bologna to your pack and run through the woods, keep food in approved containers, burn everything to knock down the smell, douse any juice/pop spill with plenty of water, keep no food...not even toothpaste, flowery deodorant, or gum...in your tent, etc). Remember...a bear can out-sprint a horse and climb trees. On a charge, they go through small trees, not around them. If something goes down, I would rather be alive and scrutinized.

Also be aware, that the other (uninformed) tourists in the park will likely get freaked if they see a firearm on anyone other than a park ranger. You will not need it in populated areas like Old Faithful...but you might want to consider discretion as a distant second criteria to stopping power. My solution was a .45, hardened lead bullet, and a shoulder holster. If something like this had not been readily available to me, I would have carried a 12ga.

The take-away: be logical, responsible, and don't let fear ruin the great times with your family in God's country.

I hope this helps.

Unless you have a 41 or 44 magnum a gun won't do you much good in Yellowstone, that's Griz country. You can bring your 12 gauge but I believe it has to be concealed in National parks. Perhaps you can just leave it in the car, tent or cabin. Check your choke if you are bringing slugs. A 9mm to a bear would be like shooting humans with a powerful BB gun. Their skulls are thick, their fur is thick and by September they will have a ton of fat to get through.

Get the large container of Bear Spray and the holster. Put it on your belt loop or on the shoulder straps of your pack.
Counter Assault Bear Deterrent Spray - 290g - Free Shipping at REI.com

Bells, I don't know if these work or not. They make noise, noise scares off bears. You strap them to your pack when hiking. Downside is they scare off most all wildlife. People joke that they are dinner bells, but noise is noise. They have ones that have a magnet to shut them off when you want.

Besides your wife you're little one might not like the potentially bitter cold weather in Yellowstone in September. I proposed to my wife in the Grand Tetons in September and got caught in a freak snow blizzard. You may want to check out those cabins.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom