80 Series Bug Defense Systems ..|.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
So I am in the middle of planning my 3 week excursion to Canada at the end of the summer. First thing on my mind is all the freaking bugs I will have to endure.

So after sifting through some threads and then going back and forth with MOT, I finally committed to getting stuff from him.

What I got was the two rear window inserts and the front grill bug guard. I haven't installed the bug guard just yet because I will need to make room for my jumper cable set up.

The side inserts are pretty kick ass. They are glossy black plastic with your standard fare bug screen that has been plastic welded to the frame. A plastic hinge on both sides lets it fold down to stow away.

The inserts get installed in less time than it takes for my to type this sentence. Now it IS plastic and it pops out of the window channel really easily so I would NOT recommend driving with these in. But at night, no problem if you need to sleep in your truck.

I think my only issue would be storage. They do not come with a handy little bag so I need to figure something out especially being as I can see these are somewhat fragile.
bugscreen1.jpg
bugscreen2.jpg

Can you post how much they cost?

Well it was $235 for the front bug screen (not installed yet) and the two rear side windows. I THINK the side screens were $80 for the set. I didn't pay for shipping because I had a mule there in Japan :flipoff2:

You seem to be pretty anal about stuff like this, so I'm sure it won't be a problem, but: make sure you put new wiper blades on before you go. If you've never done this trip before, you will be amazed at how much bug gunk will stick to your truck.

You seem to be pretty anal about stuff like this, so I'm sure it won't be a problem, but: make sure you put new wiper blades on before you go. If you've never done this trip before, you will be amazed at how much bug gunk will stick to your truck.

Whats funny is I did Yellowstone last year and there wasn't a single mosquito to be found within the park. But holy hell Wyoming is a cess pool of skeeters and misc insects. I actually had to replace with cheepo blades in Idaho because mine just stopped working. Thinking about changing the windshield washer fluid out to that bug cleaner one, can't hurt I suppose.

Whats funny is I did Yellowstone last year and there wasn't a single mosquito to be found within the park. But holy hell Wyoming is a cess pool of skeeters and misc insects. I actually had to replace with cheepo blades in Idaho because mine just stopped working. Thinking about changing the windshield washer fluid out to that bug cleaner one, can't hurt I suppose.

Take Wyoming and multiply it by about ten, especially if it's blackfly season.

Take Wyoming and multiply it by about ten, especially if it's blackfly season.

Well I am hoping that I will miss them because:

• I am going late August, early September
• I'm hoping I'll be too far West to be affected
• Pretty sure I may be high enough altitude to get away from them as well.

If not, then I start crying like a little beooch and then grin and bear it.

Side screens for the second row seats right...not the rear sliding windows?

Do they sell this stuff for the 60's peeps?
I need to cover my grill as Im planning on going up to Alaska on June....

Thanks for any leads.....

Do they sell this stuff for the 60's peeps?
I need to cover my grill as Im planning on going up to Alaska on June....

Thanks for any leads.....

Yeah I almost got the setup for the 60 as well but figured it wouldn't get used like the 80 setup would.

Talk to MOT, he'll hook you up.

We had some bug socks we bought in Australia for our HJ-60. Basically a sock made out of stretchy mosquito net. Similar idea, but no fragile plastic frame. I need to make some for the 80.... I do like the grill cover though...

We had some bug socks we bought in Australia for our HJ-60. Basically a sock made out of stretchy mosquito net. Similar idea, but no fragile plastic frame. I need to make some for the 80.... I do like the grill cover though...

Trying to visualize...but its a sock that covers the whole window frame and you close the door thus sealing it? I'm sure you could do that with no-see-um netting.

Trying to visualize...but its a sock that covers the whole window frame and you close the door thus sealing it? I'm sure you could do that with no-see-um netting.

In a word, yes. The "sock" pulled down over the top of the door to about an inch below the window. Some folks would put a strip of velcro along the inside of the door but we never found it necessary.

Two drawback we found: One it made the kids a bit ill if we left it on while rolling due to the patterns the net made. So if you or your pax are prone to motion sickness you might want to rethink this. Two, if one while rolling, it tended to rub the paint. Not a big deal for me considering all the bush pinstripes we already had, but just something to think about.

So, what we would do is use the AC while rolling (or live with the bugs if we wanted the windows down) and put the nets on only after we'd stopped for a while like for lunch or the night. It takes five seconds to put these things on, and less to pull them off. They're all fabric, so we'd just ball 'em up and stuff 'em in the door pockets.

Well THE best bug defense has always been just a block of dry ice AWAY from where you are picnicking/camping. But carrying dry ice would kind suck.

In a word, yes. The "sock" pulled down over the top of the door to about an inch below the window. Some folks would put a strip of velcro along the inside of the door but we never found it necessary.

Two drawback we found: One it made the kids a bit ill if we left it on while rolling due to the patterns the net made. So if you or your pax are prone to motion sickness you might want to rethink this. Two, if one while rolling, it tended to rub the paint. Not a big deal for me considering all the bush pinstripes we already had, but just something to think about.

So, what we would do is use the AC while rolling (or live with the bugs if we wanted the windows down) and put the nets on only after we'd stopped for a while like for lunch or the night. It takes five seconds to put these things on, and less to pull them off. They're all fabric, so we'd just ball 'em up and stuff 'em in the door pockets.

I like the bug socks and will have to look into it. Seams like it would be simple to make. I can even see how to do it with only one layer.

On grills for bugs/etc. Tractors commonly have a convoluted surface. The convolutions are large enough to clean out with a gloved finger. What happens is the bugs and other debris collect in the troths of the convolutions while air is still able to pass through the raised areas. I'm looking at making a grill screen like them for my mini truck as it will be handy when driving in the fields. It'll keep my radiator from plugging up with seed heads, chaff and insects.

First photo is a side screen from John Deere tractor. Middle photo is some other JD tractor. The last photo is generic grill screen from Discount Tractor Parts and Manuals for Old and Antique Farm Tractors
side_grills.jpg
246206816sKgYzO_ph.jpg
wm_R0848.jpg

Hi All:

Humm . . . could you explain this a bit more?

Dry ice attracts bugs??

Regards,

Alan

Well THE best bug defense has always been just a block of dry ice AWAY from where you are picnicking/camping. But carrying dry ice would kind suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom