waterproofing leather boots ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whatcha guys using for waterproofing goop now a days?

I have never been happy with "Snow Seal" and those Nicwax products always seemed too expensive...

Thanks in advance,

ken

I use NikWax. That seems to be highly recommended by retailers and boot manufacturers. In the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive, and it's better than having wet feet.

I have ben using silicon spray on some older work boots and even a pair of old trainers for awhile now and am amazed at the results.
I will find the brand name later....works good but i have no idea if i am doing long term harm to them.

I just use neetsfoot oil. Re apply it every year and after every time I clean my boots and leather gloves.

red wing makes some nice boot oil along with spray. Altho I would just buy waterproof boots;)

Whatcha guys using for waterproofing goop now a days?

I have never been happy with "Snow Seal" and those Nicwax products always seemed too expensive...

Thanks in advance,

ken
I'm one of those guys that believes animal fat kept the cow weather proof before it died so I use animal fat to keep it weather proof after. I use mink oil, but it does require frequent application to work well.

I used to use silicon liquid from the can .. was issued... and caused the boots to rot/crack as well as the eyelets to pull out. I avoid it now. Mink oil seems to soften the leather too much causes it to stretch so I avoid it as well. Have been using the Danner labeled stuff in small jars and it seems to work ok. Have read in other places that the Obenauf's is good but haven't found any locally...when I do I will try it.
NikWax gets a lot of recommendations as well.

I used to use silicon liquid from the can .. was issued... and caused the boots to rot/crack as well as the eyelets to pull out. I avoid it now. Mink oil seems to soften the leather too much causes it to stretch so I avoid it as well. Have been using the Danner labeled stuff in small jars and it seems to work ok. Have read in other places that the Obenauf's is good but haven't found any locally...when I do I will try it.
NikWax gets a lot of recommendations as well.

Where are you located? They'll ship it to you, too.

I think it's time I ordered the "institutional package"......
Obenauf's Leather Care Products

That should last me the next 15 years or so.....

Last edited:
Where are you located? They'll ship it to you, too.

I think it's time I ordered the "institutional package"......

That should last me the next 15 years or so.....
I see that now (I am in Canada) I will give it a try. It looks like they have both Silicon (which I don't want) and their proprietary "LP" which contains "no harmful silicons" ... I think I will order some of that...btw .. how is it on the leather seats? Has anyone tried that application I wonder?

thanks!!

I just buy Gore-tex lined boots and then it's not an issue. I've stood in icy water to the top of the boot in my gore-tex wolverines and my feet never got wet. They breath well enough to be comfortable for every day wear as well.

I just use whatever leather conditioner is readily available to keep the leather from cracking when it dries out.

Obenauf's is great stuff! I never liked mink oil/snowseal. This stuff is da bomb.

I put 2 coats on my Vasque this weekend. Sure darkened up the leather. We'll see how it helps the dry / cracking condition is some spots and its supposed to rain today.:D

I put 2 coats on my Vasque this weekend. Sure darkened up the leather. We'll see how it helps the dry / cracking condition is some spots and its supposed to rain today.:D

Can't wait to read your review..... :cheers:

I used to use Montana Pitch Blend from Schnee's shoe store in Bozeman. That stuff was awesome and smelled nice. Their boots are hand-made there in town and are super fabulous. I know guys with many, many years on a pair of their boots, treating the leather with Pitch Blend a couple times a year.

:popcorn:It is my job to walk around the woods. I have many pairs of leather boots. Lowa, Whites, La Sportiva Glacier Evo, Lowa again, and plenty of various military issue. I will tell you this. If you plan to stand in water, do so with an unsealed pair of leathers. Wear them dry to shrink to your foot. If it is gore tex, I assume you will be wearing it in the winter, therefore you want to use a seal that will not over saturate your boot and inhibit breathability. I recommend natural i.e. Nikiwax. The type you would be looking for will follow water into the leather. If you are wearing insulated leathers, I like to use a wax or oil. In either case, the important step lies in getting your leather to accept and retain the sealant, by way of heat or air, and applying it to the areas that will either come in contact with water more frequently, or will retain water (e.g. crevaces, eyelets, sole stitching). If you do your best to keep your boots dry, your feet will stay dry with them...

If you do your best to keep your boots dry, your feet will stay dry with them...

Have you ever tried boots with the new insulations that keep insulating when damp or wet? I have a pair of North Face Baltoro HV 400s that I find to be excellent for all day wearing in the winter. My feet sweat like crazy even in extreme cold. Until the Baltoros I would have to switch boots and socks every 3 to 4 hours even when wearing unsealed leather boots. Anyways, I can now wear the Baltoro HVs 16+ hours and my feet are still warm at the end of the day. My socks are soaked and I have to use a fan to blow drying air into the boots so they are dry for the next day.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom