Edgestar fridges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked into them and swapped emails with a woman in their customer support department. Obviously they are manufactured in China which is no surprise but not so much an issue these days. My biggest concern/inquiry was regarding the compressor used. After three or four emails she pasted on that it uses a rotary compressor. At any rate I'll paste the more important emails below. I was on the fence in regards to making a purchase but I'll probably go with another brand unless one of the magazines does a test with favorable results.

Hello,
I believe that they are rotary compressors made by Jiangsu Baixuwe, a specialized compressor manufacturer. These are fairly new models that we were happy to recently release. So we are unsure of the mean time between failures but we have spent a lot of time on product development and testing and have found them to be extremely durable. Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Thank You,
Lauren
Edgestar Customer Service

Hello,
While our website is undergoing changes products may or may not be visible on our home page. In the meantime we have our online retailer compactappliance.com post all of the units information in their easily accessible product info. Here is a link to all the product info and manuals for the FP430: EdgeStar Portable Fridge/Freezer - 43 Qt.
FP860:EdgeStar Portable Fridge/Freezer - 86 Qt.
Have a great day.

Thank You,
Lauren
Edgestar Customer Service

yeah I agree. I bought an Edgstar portable air conditioner a couple months ago and it was prob the single worst experience. The leakage caused mold to grow in my garage and trying to get someone live to assist me was impossible. If that was any indication I'd stay away from the brand.

wow. I had great customer service and I have the edgestar fridge in my FJ Cruiser. Woody took a look at it. I had it running full out and parked for two days at Rubicon, My FJ's single batttery kicked over after two days no worries. I have teh extended warranty, plus used my amex.

I also left in on for 4 days after Rubicon, parked in my driveway, no problem. Fj kicked right over.

I am really happy with it and with the price. Compact alliance gave me great CS service also.

where are you? I am looking for a frige too, and saw the edgestar at 200-300 cheaper than the others I was considering it too

I've been running mine for about a year in the back of my FZJ80 with no problems. When I first turn it on, it cools down pretty quick.

Great...that is teh kind of info I am looking for...which size did you get???

I got the 43L size. Here are the only things I have found that could be improved. The latch has not failed, but it is kind of flimsey. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 times to set the fridge tempature (but this is just my not reading the instructions when I go to set it each time).
Those are the only drawbacks I have had so far. A couple things I do like is it has both AC and DC ports and cords and has a quick freeze option that cools it down quick.

Thanks again for the info...looking at maybe getting one this summer...want the big one though...

How about the power draw.

The biggest drawback I have been told is the amount of juice they suck.
I've got duals, so im hoping this wont be a problem.

What I don't see are any places where one can hold down the fridge with turnbuckles or some other system.

Price is really good though. :hmm:

Beno,
Here is a pick of how I hold mine down with turnbuckles. I also have a dual battery set up and it is the system where everything is on the main battery and the second battery is just for back up. I have never had an issue with the fridge running the battery low enough that the main battery would not start the engine. The longest I have run the fridge before starting the engine is about 15 or 16 hours though. One of the electrical trainers where I work figured you could run the fridge for several days on the blue top optima I use with no issues.

CORRECTION: I said in an erlier post it was the 43L size. It is in fact the 43Qt size.
Gray Rock ORV 002.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,
I have switched from the home made set up to the Engle metal slide. The problem with the set up I had is when the fridge was extended all the way out, it would tilt forward a couple inches. I can get you the demensions if you would still like to have them. One other issue I am having is with the current drawer set up in the picture, I cannot open the top of the fridge all the way up. I am in the planning phase of making a new drawer system with a smaller drawer under the fridge to give me more clearance.

Oh, and the platform goes to the back of the rear seats.

Last edited:
where can I see photos of the Engle metal slide? how much was it? did you mount it to your wooden platform? Why is it necessary to open the Edgestar all the way, if you can do so when you slide it out? is that so important that you would be willing to give up the storage under it?

Chris,
I got my slide from Slee offroad. It was 239.00 and is much sturdier than the one I made. It is mounted where the other one is in the picture. Even when I pull the fridge all the way out on the slide the edge of the lid hits the cruiser hatch opening. It is not that big of a problem not opening the top all the way but I thought as long as I was designing another drawer system I would lower one side a couple inches. I am thinking of having the drawer below the fridge slide about 5 inches tall and then have 2 drawers on the other side about 10 inches high each. I do not plan to use the drawer system as a sleep platform, so should not be an issue having different heights and won't lose any storage room. I'll take some pics of the fridge on the new sldie and show you what it looks like when I open the lid.

Chris,
Here are a couple of pics with the new slide and showing how far you can open the lid. Did some trials with moving the platform out until it hit the rear door. First pic is normal position and second pic is platform all the way back.
fridge 003.jpg
fridge 006.jpg
fridge 001.jpg

thanks Kenny! A picture IS worth a 1000 words, isn't it!

so what is the problem with sliding it all the way out? so that you can open the lid fully, and without lowering the drivers side of your shelf platform?

any problems using the Edgestar on the slider made for the ARB?

Chris,
In the second picture where we moved the platform as close to the rear as we could, the lid opened almost all the way. That is as far as we could move the platform back. The slide is mounted to the edge of the platform, so we could not move it back any more. I think it will be fine as it is in the second picture. It is like about an inch away from being able to be opened all the way. If you made a custome drawer, you might only lose an inch or two of storage on that side. The Edgestar fit fine on the slide and was able to use the hardware that came with it to secure the fridge to it. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom