Installing and removing RTT and Roof racks made EZ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Over the years I have had problems whenever it came to installing and removing RTT and Roof Racks. It’s always hard to find help and it’s a PIA task, just ask my wife.

A friend turned me on to RACOR PRO and I ordered a PHL-1. Mounting will vary depending on your structure. For me I had to fab up some brackets and bolt them to my carport to have something to mount the hoist to. I found this to be the most time consuming part of the install. Read the instruction and the hoist goes together easy.

The hoist comes with a nicely built 4’x4’ screen platform that I did not need but I see a good use for it in projects down the road. I did use 2 side bars that came with the hoist that works well with the removal and installation of my RTT mounting design.

I can use the same mounts I fab up to hold my RTT to the LC for securing to the hoist. This makes it nice if I want to store it up to the ceiling of the carport or work on the RTT.

The hoist has a rating of 250lbs and you pick up about 30lbs more capacity if you don’t use the screen platform. It now makes installing and removing RTT and roof racks a 1 man job. Raising and lower the hoist is made easy with the supplied crank and you can remove the crank and lock the cranking mechanism also. I sure one could come up with a way to adapt a padlock to the cranking mechanism to prevent someone from lowering you goods.

Overall it’s a well make product and will make your life easier.
RTTHoist 002.jpg
RTTHoist 010.jpg
RTTHoist 017.jpg

That's so rad! So many people have been looking to do that but couldn't really find the way. Good job.. im sure this will be a bookmark for many people! I would need a crane to remove my entire setup lol

Phil, That is so perfect - I am always muscling my tents off and on...

Now all I need is a taller garage :)

Awesome write up and pics! I just ordered a new AO rack and about to enter that world of "racking and unracking". Stupid question...how do you align yourself under it appropriately for remounts...driveway markers? I suppose there is enough play/sway in cables to let you adjust as you connect up if you are in the ballpark parkwise?

Awesome write up and pics! I just ordered a new AO rack and about to enter that world of "racking and unracking". Stupid question...how do you align yourself under it appropriately for remounts...driveway markers? I suppose there is enough play/sway in cables to let you adjust as you connect up if you are in the ballpark parkwise?

So far it has not been a problem. The hoist rails are on 48" center and the RTT is 44" wide. I just lower the rails on the hoist and back in between them. see 1st pic

I use something similar I fabbed with a small 120V winch motor.

Phil: I like your covered parking area outside your garages!

Nice write up Phil... Thanks!!! This will solve a big problem for me too.

how much weight can that hold?

I believe he posted 250lbs and another 30lbs if you don't use part of the kit...

Thanks for posting this - I was going to build my own system but nfw now that I've seen this and its a reasonable price.

Cheers

I believe he posted 250lbs and another 30lbs if you don't use part of the kit...

Thanks for posting this - I was going to build my own system but nfw now that I've seen this and its a reasonable price.

Cheers

Yes 250lbs is what it’s rated at mostly for insurance purposes is my guess. If you have a solid mounting surface you could exceed 250lbs without issue. The cables look to be 3/16 so 1 cable has a capacity of more then 250lbs. The hoist is built surprisingly well and with 95lbs of RTT the cranking is effortless.

You suck ;p My garage doors are under 7feet.

Sweet set up . the whole thing, rigs, space, hoist....

ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom