Hatch chile season is here! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spent the morning fire roasting, peeling and packaging my first batch of green chilies of the season. I roasted them over a mesquite wood fire. I'll be making my favorite chile verde recipe later which I will share it below. The rest will go in the freezer to last me until next year's crop comes in.

Chile Verde

Just delete the pork to make a nice green sauce. It also makes great enchilada sauce. This a great camping recipe as it is a one pot kinda deal. It also dehydrates well for backpacking.

For four generous cups:
3 Tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
16 oz. fresh, peeled and seeded or canned green chilies, whole, chopped or strips
½ teaspoon oregano
1 lb. lean pork, cut into ½” cubes.
1 teaspoon salt
Optional: 1 chopped fresh Jalapeno or Serrano chili

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook over low heat for about five minutes to wilt the onions, stirring occasionally to prevent browning. Raise heat to medium-high again, stir in flour, cumin and black pepper, cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to cook the rawness out of the flour. The onions will tend to ball up in to clumps, but that is okay. When the onion-flour mixture begins to color, remove pan from heat gradually whisk in broth to prevent clumping. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The finished sauce should be uniformly smooth and thick enough to nap a spoon. If it is too thick, dilute with broth or water.
IMG_0866.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg

Power road farmers market...

Zags, does that include roasting?

Zags, does that include roasting?

No. Expect to pay a lot for roasted ones at a farmers market. You still have to peel them too, which is where most of the work lies. You can use a grill, a burner on a gas stove, or even the broiler.

Made wild boar green chili cheese burgers tonight with the last of last seasons stocks... Nom Nom...

One of my bros is a NM hatch green chile authority. His method is to grill them until they're good and hot and then put them back in the plastic grocery sack for about 10 minutes until they've sweated real good. Then you just pinch the chile between your index and flipoff fingers, like scissors, and pull the guts out....works kinda like a knife coming out of a sheath. That's what he tells me....

We usually buy two bushels of roasted green chiles every year, peel them, zip lock bag them, throw them in the freezer and use them over the next 10-12 months. Use some vinyl or latex gloves if you are going to be peeling any quantity of roasted chiles. I made the mistake, once, of NOT doing that years ago...and by the time I was done, I couldn't bend my fingers and they felt like they were on fire! Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT touch your face anywhere near your eyes for at least a day!

We usually buy two bushels of roasted green chiles every year, peel them, zip lock bag them, throw them in the freezer and use them over the next 10-12 months. Use some vinyl or latex gloves if you are going to be peeling any quantity of roasted chiles. I made the mistake, once, of NOT doing that years ago...and by the time I was done, I couldn't bend my fingers and they felt like they were on fire! Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT touch your face anywhere near your eyes for at least a day!

Unless you can go a day without taking a piss, you're screwed.:eek:
I can usually get the residue off with dish soap and a good scrubbing. If that doesn't work, GoJo will get the job done.:meh:

I'm tempted to get some every year. But I grow more chilies than I can use, so I don't see the point.:cool:

Unless you can go a day without taking a piss, you're screwed.:eek:

A friend of mine told me 'when Willy gets older this is not an issue'
Cool, another thing to look foward to...:doh:

Last weekend roast is Saturday, cool, should have some heat.

splitshot where is this roast you speak of? I was considering going to the power road farmers market chili festival in September but don't want to miss out. I really want to get twelve pounds of hot and twelve pounds of medium.

splitshot where is this roast you speak of? I was considering going to the power road farmers market chili festival in September but don't want to miss out. I really want to get twelve pounds of hot and twelve pounds of medium.

Basha's in Catalina. I would start by calling your local one or ask the CSC folks if they have been stocking up and where.:cheers:

Late to the game but we are set. Just got them in the freezer, would have had more, but there was sampling involved.:cool:
101_0905.jpg
101_0907.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom