Advbuddies spotted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventureduo.com
You drove right past me in old town Tustin a few hours ago.. i was undercover in the work van.

The rig looks good.... can you tell me more about the lantern you have mounted off the back of the bumper? .. and how the glass doesn't shatter on washboard roads?

...and a pic so we know what Dave is blabbering about.

I live in Old Town Tustin. Wish I'd known to look for you. I did a little work under the truck early this morning and took it for a test run . Getting ready to install my new FrontRunner 45 gal aux tank and 868 rear springs. You probably saw me heading home to switch cars.

The lantern back there is still in test status. So far it has survived plenty of road driving, and one or two trail runs. No super intense washboards though to really test it. The globe shouldn't break because I bent the tabs on the lid so it's pretty tight and the globe doesn't rattle. The problem is the mantels which disintigrate which means I have to add new mantels every night. They were falling apart on me even when the lantern was inside so it's not any different. I don't use the lantern too often since I switch to led worklights, but it makes a nice "cap" on the distribution tee from the propane tank.

I'll get you a pic later today.

OK. Here's a pic of the back. On the left swingout is my home made little storage box. It holds 2 jerry cans on the left and a 2.5 gal tall/skinny propane tank on the right. It also takes 2 milkcrates on top for firewood. The propane tank has a distribution tee on it. One rubber line goes to the coleman 2 burner stove that mounts on the inside (kitchen side) of the storage box when the swingout is open. The other rubber line off the tee goes to the BBQ/grill which mounts on the two galvanized arms that are folded in just under the license plate. That puts the grill on the outside of the swingout when it's open. The lantern is on the top of the tee.

The square tubing with the Yakima sticker is my custom bike carrier. It's one of the standard hitch mount carries. I cut the hitch mount off, and welded an extension to the left swingout and welded the Yakima product to my extension. The arms that support the bikes attach to the top of the square tube. So, I can swing open the swingout/box with the bikes attached which wouldn't be possible of course if it were attached to the hitch. It's also nice and high for great departure angle ground clearance. It held up great with bikes on it for test trail run.

On the right swingout, there are 2 threaded rods protruding from the center of the spare tire. I made a portable firepit with folding legs that I mount on there for places that don't allow fires on the ground (like Anza Borego). The other pic shows the inside of the spare tire wheel where I welded a little cage. It turns the hollow space in the wheel into storage. Right now there's a bottle of lighter fluid in there. It actually holds all 4 tire chains which are bulky heavy duty link chains for the 35" tires . It's a great storage space and something everyone should consider utilizing for dirty stuff like chains, muddy recover straps, etc.

My wife think it looks like the Grapes of Wrath with the bikes, firewood, and firepit back there. But, it keeps the dirty stuff outside.

Maybe too much info here for a simple lantern question, but what the heck...
CIMG3925.JPG
CIMG3926.JPG

Wow - certainly can see how that would rattle the teeth off any mantle as fragile as they are. Hard to believe that you haven't cracked the globe tho. Inner storage on the spare is nice - didn't see that at our last get together.

Does the wife realize that the grapes of wrath circa 2009 is actually an exodus FROM CA to OK? She may want to rethink her position on the looks! :D

Last edited:
Dude, more info the better. Thanks for taking time to show us and talk about it. I figured the mantel replacement would irritate you after a while. I love the storage for the rear of the kaymar swingout...

My wife think it looks like the Grapes of Wrath with the bikes, firewood, and firepit back there. But, it keeps the dirty stuff outside.

My wife makes Beverly Hillbillies references when I get all loaded up ! :hillbilly:

Man that looks good, makes me want to go 'cruise-about!

Dan.

Hard to believe that you haven't cracked the globe tho.
Does the wife realize that the grapes of wrath circa 2009 is actually an exodus FROM CA to OK?

I thought it would bust the first time I drove it, but it seems to hold up fine.

I guess the good thing about everyone going to OK is that there's less traffic these days...

I figured the mantel replacement would irritate you after a while.

Mantel replacement when the lantern was my only souce of light drove me nuts. Even with one of those plastic cases and the lantern secured in with the gear, at least one of them always seemed to rip or get messed up. Finally I decided to switch to led worklights (the $20 ones from Harbor Freight are awesome) which I just stick wherever I need them using the magnetic base.

Since the propane distribution tee had nothing on the top (so dirt was clogging it) and since I was going to toss the lantern, I figured, I might as well "store" it on the distribution tee where it would function as a cap and maybe even a light source.

Since we're discussing mods, I thought I'd mention my nifty little solution to pressurized water. I didn't want to deal with a 12v pump so I was looking for a modular, flexible air pressure-based system. After much contemplation, consideration, head scratching, and obsessive researching, I ordered a bunch of those LCI water cans (MWC) and an extra cap with a budding concept in my brain. I fitted the extra cap with a pressure gauge, and quick connect air fitting that hooks up to the coiled air hose I use for tire inflation (which is connected to a 3 gal air tank under the chassis.) Next to that on the extra MWC cap I fitted a pickup hose for in the can and a standard water hose male end for outside which is connected to one of those coiled 25' garden hoses with a sprayer attachment.

Now I turn the dial at the pressure gauge on the cap and let a little air into the MWC. (8PSI) is the highest I've dared. Makes for plenty of pressure to shower, wash dishes, hose off the windshield, etc.

Hot water comes from either heating on the stove and pouring into the MWC or from a few hours in the sun. When one can is empty, I just take the modified extra cap and switch it onto another can. I like the simplicity and portability, but like all my projects, it seems to be in a perpetual prototype phase.

Yeah, uh, pictures please ! :popcorn:

Sounds like all that head-scratching turned out well!!

Dan.

Since we're discussing mods, I thought I'd mention my nifty little solution to pressurized water. I didn't want to deal with a 12v pump so I was looking for a modular, flexible air pressure-based system. After much contemplation, consideration, head scratching, and obsessive researching, I ordered a bunch of those LCI water cans (MWC) and an extra cap with a budding concept in my brain. I fitted the extra cap with a pressure gauge, and quick connect air fitting that hooks up to the coiled air hose I use for tire inflation (which is connected to a 3 gal air tank under the chassis.) Next to that on the extra MWC cap I fitted a pickup hose for in the can and a standard water hose male end for outside which is connected to one of those coiled 25' garden hoses with a sprayer attachment.

Now I turn the dial at the pressure gauge on the cap and let a little air into the MWC. (8PSI) is the highest I've dared. Makes for plenty of pressure to shower, wash dishes, hose off the windshield, etc.

Hot water comes from either heating on the stove and pouring into the MWC or from a few hours in the sun. When one can is empty, I just take the modified extra cap and switch it onto another can. I like the simplicity and portability, but like all my projects, it seems to be in a perpetual prototype phase.

That sounds like a great idea. Pictures please.

The LCI cans can take 8psi? .. i figured the cap would blow off earlier than that? They're not made to be pressurized. Wonder how long they'll last.

Also, how do you heat up the LCI on your stove? lol It's plastic.

We use a Zodi Extreme for showers (glorified bug sprayer).

I also have an actual (unglorified) bug sprayer that I out right on the stove. I'm planning to retire that and hopefully use the mwc idea exclusively.

After a fair amount of testing in the driveway and one trip (a shower each for wife and me) they held up great. I'll post some pics.

OK - MWC can mod pics. This cap is my prototype cap. It's actually slightly defective and allows a small amount of air to leak. I found an O ring that helps, but I'm going to make a few improvements and butcher another cap for a final version which will hopefully be air tight.
CIMG3927.JPG
CIMG3928.JPG
CIMG3929.JPG

The water hose street elbow has long enough male threads to thread through the cap and into the female threaded end of the hose barb the takes the pickup line, essentially sandwhiching the cap material. The air fitting is only threaded into the plastic of the cap. For the next version I intend to thread it into another piece on the inside for extra durability.
CIMG3930.JPG
CIMG3931.JPG

Resurrecting this one to let you know that the "lantern on the back" idea didn't work out. Globe busted while driving down the street. Heard a shatter of glass and knew right away what it was...

So, on to other lantern storage ideas.

Resurrecting this one to let you know that the "lantern on the back" idea didn't work out. Globe busted while driving down the street. Heard a shatter of glass and knew right away what it was...

So, on to other lantern storage ideas.

You could always switch to the stainless mesh replacement globes. . .

Keep the lantern alive!

Marcus, i forgot to ask you how much PSI does it take to get the sprayer working on that water can setup? Im thinking about pressurizing my 19 gallon tank on my trailer. Also, what are you using to pressurize.. im assuming a small compressor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom