Not Toyota but I thought I would share--Project ugly truck ..replacement tow vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RAYJON

Get a bigger hammer..
Threads
We have been looking for a new tow vehicle for some time, need a crew cab for the kids. New ones are out too much $$$ and the last real reliable crew cab out there with a diesel was the 7.3 fords... so what to do... ...

I was hunting for a f450 ford crew cab but everyone I found was wore out and beat...

Ended up finding this ... a 1995 gmc 3500 hd crew cab... with a diesel and a 5spd ... (I know 6.5 chevy diesels are a pos but read on.) its rated for 18k gross and came factory with 19.5 tires...

It was clean and only had 35k miles on it and the price was right at the city of Modesto auction... so I bought it... Got rid of the utility box, cut 3ft off the back of the frame and found a nice flat bed to modify....
ugly 1.jpg
DSC04599.jpg

Nice diamond in the rough Ray. I know you will work magic with it. :cheers:

Here is the rest of the story, went and got the truck drove it home (18mpg on the highway), ran good but needed some PM.. but is way down on power compared to my dodge...(factory hp was only 180hp,) When I got it home my wife walked out and said that is one ugly truck... so the name stuck... Its "ugly truck"...

Now for the transformation .. and alot of work...

I sold the utillity box for some $$ and then got a 10ft flat bed for it for almost free. Now I am working on painting the truck black and turning the flatbed into a hauler bed by narrowing it 8", tapering the front 6" and cutting down the headake rack ... When I get all that done...
We have a fix for the low mileage 6.5 diesel when it blows up. Sitting in the bed of the dodge is a low mileage 5.9 cummins... Which should be good for about 350 reliable hp . The really nice part is GM used the same nv4500 as dodge so the swap is quite easy...

So In about 30 days I should have the truck done minus the motor swap.... I will post some more pix as I progress...

Sounds awesome Ray. I would love to see it in person when it is done. With you and the family in the Cruiser camping near the trail head of course. :D

Very nice score should be very sweet when you are done. Love the name, "ugly truck. My Samurai that I had became project, "piece of sh*t". If was stored at my buddy's dad's house and he keep asking me when I was going to get this, "piece of sh*t" out of his garage. Funny how these projects get their names. Anyway, hope to see some build pictures on this beast. I have to assume this is for towing your coach trailer and not the cruiser.

thanks for the support guys... as for towing the cruiser not ....yet..

but after last year's trip to Moab averaging 10-12 mpg driving the loaded down cruiser we started to look at things differently. Towing even a big heavy trailer with my dodge I can get 14-15 towing, a little better with the small travel trailer and over 20mpg running empty if I keep it under 65mph.. So we are looking at what we can do to go places, camp and wheel but still be able to afford to pay for the fuel.

Idea would be a diesel curiser but I haven't seen a setup that I like that doesn't cost big $$$ .

So what we are looking at is a setup similar to Rob's with a toy hauler and putting the fj40 into the back (also thought about a sammuri after I saw one with VW tdi in it) ... With what is happening right now I have seen some real good deals on some of these but none big enough to put a cruiser in the back of... If I can get one for the right price like the truck I we should have a setup that we can still afford to go places and do things for the next 10 years... hopefully.... as long a we dont see 10$ a gallon diesel....

ray - I know you have connections but if you find you need any other parts, etc I was at the RB auction this morning and there were some great deals. They had numerous trucks like yours.

There were also some people who overpaid but you know how if goes.

Next time I am going with money and getting a Medium duty or above to tow my cruiser. They had a Peterbilt equipment hauler that went for $5k. I thought that would be perfect to put the cruiser on the back and haul a small travel trailer behind it.

Sorry for the rant - cool project.

Last edited:
Great Idea on the hauler.. I have been to several equipment auctions seen a few and never thought about that, What would have been spectacular was an international crew cab with a dt466, but everyone I found was too much money. This fit the bill it wasn't beat up and the price was right everyone was scared of the 6.5 diesel even with only 35K miles on it, There was an f450 regular cab that had 150K and was beat went for 3k more than the truck I bought.. People are funny at auctions they do some weird stuff some time alot of it based on rumor and perception.

Good luck on the hunt let me know what you find I am curious to see what you find.....

Ray, there are tons of haulers like mine up for sale, a Weekend Warrior like mine is going for half of what I payed for mine. People are dumping them cause they cant afford them, Pick up a 34/38 foot 5th wheel one and you will have no issues with a 40/45/55 size rig other than the ramp needs a rebuild.......ask me about that sometime.
I would love to trade mine for a 5th wheel now, but mine is payed for and the wife loves it............sitting at Parker Dam for the summer, call up and they set it next to the river for me.

I have been looking at a 44-50ft gooseneck race trailers with living quarters in the front.. I know about the prices they are real nice..... The last couple I have been looking at are less than half about 40% of what they were new and they are only 3 years old... and they cant sell them....

I have been looking at a 44-50ft gooseneck race trailers with living quarters in the front.. I know about the prices they are real nice..... The last couple I have been looking at are less than half about 40% of what they were new and they are only 3 years old... and they cant sell them....

I looked at the Featherlight race trailers........Too long for campsite use and anything but large area travel, A real bitch to tow around places.

I think you should put this :hillbilly: smiley nice and BIG on the doors....

Hey I know its :hillbilly: but at least I am painting it black and doing everything I can to keep it from looking like a work truck....I may even brake down and buy a chrome grill and do the swap....

Last edited:
Hey I know its :hillbilly: but at least I am painting it black and doing everything I can to keep it from looking like a work truck....I may even brake down and buy a chrome grill and do the swap....

Don't do it Ray, chrome won't get you home. I say emprace the ugly. :D I do like the black idea though. :hmm:

we have to have something offset all the white cruisers....:D:D

we have to have something offset all the white cruisers....:D:D

Oh yeah, bling will do that. :flipoff2:

Don't forget the updates as you go. I always love watching a build up even if it isn't a Cruiser. ;) Shameless I know; do alot of extra work for my enjoyment. :rolleyes:

here are some pix of the flat as it was narrowed 8" and the headake rack was kicked in to match the body.. It is all mounted now with the back of the cab and front of the bed painted black...

The polished stainless wheel covers showed up yesterday(bling :D:D) .. and 3 rolls of B-Quiet sound deadner for the floor firewall and roof...

Next on the list is to finish painting it, do the sound deadner and put the interior back together to get it looking presentable .. then on to the motor swap.. it needs it bad to 160hp for 8k lbs + makes it slow. Either that or I have been spoiled by my 300hp dodge...
DSC05195.JPG
DSC05193.JPG
DSC05197.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good. Thanks for sharing Ray.

some more pix of it finished and one of the 5.9 waiting to be swaped.. I will finish doing the body work after our trip.......later..
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom