Whipsaw Expedition 2011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
Ray and I are planning a small group expedition through the Whipsaw trail starting August 20th. Let me know if any of you are interested. We're going to be taking our time over the weekend and stopping many places to explore and take photos.

Whipsaw Expedition 2011 - Facebook

Dates: Saturday, Aug 20th - 22nd, 2011
Meeting place/time: Tim Hortons at 7670 Vedder Road, Chilliwack, leaving at 11:00am sharp. Distance: 50 miles / 80 kilometers (trail distance)
Trail time: 10-12 hours
Difficulty (1-5): rating (2.0 - 3.5)
Vehicle classes: High-clearance, 4x4, limited slip differential or lockers would be handy, large tires >32" suggested, winch and /or tow strap maybe be required. (especially for Ray... he he he)

For those in the lower mainland, we'll be meeting at the Tim Hortons at 7670 Vedder Road, Chilliwack, at approximately 10am to 10:30am. We will be LEAVING Tim Hortons at 11:00am exactly. Don't be late! The plan is to convoy up the Coquihalla and going in the back way through Brookmere, which is apparently shorter and more scenic. Jason from CruisinOffRoad has done this way before so we should be fine.

For those coming from the interior (and any latecomers), we will meet you at Lodestone Lake. We'll be setting up camp on the far side of the lake. HERE are directions for reaching Lodestone Lake from both directions. (interior or lower mainland) We will be there before dusk Saturday evening.

We will be on CB radio and FRS/GMRS radio, both on channel 6.0. My cell is ****.

Ray Monk said:
The Whipsaw Trail in southern BC, is an excellent multi-terrain 4x4 route with a great deal of history.
Ray Monk said:
It's going to be a good time. BBQing, wheeling, fishing and camping on a beautiful trail that will take 2 days to run. Also with the rich history of gold and coal (as well as other metals and minerals) mining in the area there is no lack of... things to explore.

Also being able to head into the okanagan valley though the back roads (osprey lake area) it is also possible to reach the trails of okanagan park and drive portions of the KVR, apex/nickel plate lake. Or if your tired from sitting in your truck take some time for wine tasting, or just relax on the sunny shores of the lake.

All in all this is going to be a trip to bring the Family on for some good safe fun. Their will be some basic rules to be followed and will be posted shortly.

RM

Last edited:
Here are some sample photos courtesy of Whipsaw Trail - Overland Routes

800px-Whipsaw1.JPG

800px-Whipsaw2.jpg

800px-Whipsaw3.JPG

800px-Whipsaw4.JPG

796px-Whipsaw5.JPG

Whipsaw6.jpg

Wow looks like fun. I'll give you a "definite maybe". Depends on how my 7.5 month pregnant wife is feeling at the time.

yeah, looks like fun for sure. My cruiser is still too young for this kinda thing tho, need more time to work out bugs, and work some more bugs in.

and yeesh, good thing I sold my 80, all that luxury seems to cause pregnancies...:lol:

and yeesh, good thing I sold my 80, all that luxury seems to cause pregnancies...:lol:[/QUOTE]

Must be the huge fold down back seats in those 80's
When you own a 40 you have to "get out to get in" ;)

damn, looks like I'll be working that week end. I've always wanted to do that trip.

I'm all over that trip! Hopefully that Grand Cherokee thing can make it. I was thoroughly un impressed with that viscous coupling thing in there. Ray should fill that thing with cement before the run.

Can't wait!

Whipsaw is a scenic and easy trail to do. Pavement to pavement it is about 5-6 hours. The only obstacle is Falcon Hill, shortly after Wells Lake which is a steep rocky climb, which a stock 4X4 could do . The mud hole is no longer there as a culvert was installed in 2009. Lodestone lake at the top is always cold, as I have seen snow flurries in August. Badger Trail down to the Arrastra Creek is a cool side trip to do, which loops around back to Lodestone lake. Lodestone Lake from Coalmont is popular with the truck camper crowd.

Whipsaw is a scenic and easy trail to do. Pavement to pavement it is about 5-6 hours. The only obstacle is Falcon Hill, shortly after Wells Lake which is a steep rocky climb, which a stock 4X4 could do . The mud hole is no longer there as a culvert was installed in 2009. Lodestone lake at the top is always cold, as I have seen snow flurries in August. Badger Trail down to the Arrastra Creek is a cool side trip to do, which loops around back to Lodestone lake. Lodestone Lake from Coalmont is popular with the truck camper crowd.

Late August should be fairly dry and decent going. Might be less mosquitoes by then so that should be nice. I think you'd reeeeally be pushing to do pavement to pavement in 5-6 hours in a group. Most group runs with a slow pace and a few stuck stock trucks ended up taking almost that between the 2 lakes.

How do you mean Badger Creek loops to Lodestone? Once you hit the FSR it exits between Blakeburn Mine and Coalmont. You'd be backtracking a fair bit to get back up to Lodestone Lake. It is a nice trail out though if you've stayed at Lodestone and don't mind taking the longer way out. Next time I go up there I'd like to exit west on the Champion trail towards Tulameen R, never tried that trail.

Have fun guys :beer:.

We're definitely planning on taking our time :) Leaving Friday afternoon/evening and returning hopefully on Tuesday. Lots of stuff to explore around there. We'll also be camping out and having a good time along the way. :beer:

If I am not busy, I might tag along. Really need to work on the house ...:bang:

I am not part of your club but I do live in BC and drive a cruiser. If timing would work out for me I would enjoy joining you if you would allow me to

Hey man,

It's not a club only run, it's being put on by myself and a friend. If you're respectful on the trail and you understand it's a family safe event, and are into exploring and taking your time, then I'm sure you could come along.

whipsaw

This sounds good to me! I will check on the dates but I should be able to make it. I know two other trucks that are looking to do whipsaw this year, how big of a group did you plan on?

I wish I could meet you guys.
Whipsaw will happen sometime when I am not working seasonal...
Gotta make money!

This trip sounds good to me also, if I can get the time off of work, and if you do not might a newbie tagging along. :grinpimp: BJ70 with stock diff. be ok for this trip? I have a locker that I picked up, but have not had installed yet....I think it is a Lock-Right.

This trip sounds good to me also, if I can get the time off of work, and if you do not might a newbie tagging along. :grinpimp: BJ70 with stock diff. be ok for this trip? I have a locker that I picked up, but have not had installed yet....I think it is a Lock-Right.
I think you'd be totally fine! Don't mind, as long as you respect the group decisions!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom