Diesel swap - 2L-T into 22R pick up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
So this was supposed to be my daily driver, not a projects truck!
But the head went, then the clutch, then issues with the carb. After all the repairs it runs but I've had enough of gas powered trucks (again). So a diesel is going in.
Picked it up, has had a lot of work already done:
Injection pump rebuilt by a shop.
Turbo replaced with new one.
It runs clean and well, unknown kilometers, 5 speed, seems a little sluggish but I think there are linkage issues and it hasn't been set up right.
The donor truck is Frankenstein at best. The wiring has been butchered, the engine has been spliced into it from who knows where, this used to be a v6 truck (engine mounts where relocated), stuff has been patched and spliced to make it work.
Lucky for me the 2L-T is a direct bolt on to the 22R and 22RE mounts, and require very little for wiring, so the swap should not require too many parts.
I likely need a clutch though.
So over the new few weeks I'll be doing this.

ForumRunner_20130519_064855.jpg

And this is the questionable donor truck, the frame is beyond gone but the body is surprisingly solid.
The body and my gas drivetrain is being sold in case anyone is interested.

ForumRunner_20130519_065057.jpg

ForumRunner_20130519_065130.jpg

ForumRunner_20130519_064855.jpg

ForumRunner_20130519_065057.jpg

ForumRunner_20130519_065130.jpg

Since your going down this Road you might as well let John mod your 2LT... I hear he is pretty good at this ;)

I mean why stop at a swap?!

Mostly because I don't want this to become a $10,000 truck.
John is great and does awesome work, and if I was to trust anyone to work on my truck it would be him, Ciaran and Rob M., but this is not going to be one of those builds and I am trying to keep the spending to a minimum.
I will likely get him to tune it since it needs that but it won't be getting built like his Prado - which is awesome.

and Scott, I have to put bumpers on it before the cops actually give me a ticket for it. Sadly I will not have time to do that until next year, after I finish shool.

Mostly because I don't want this to become a $10,000 truck.
John is great and does awesome work, and if I was to trust anyone to work on my truck it would be him, Ciaran and Rob M., but this is not going to be one of those builds and I am trying to keep the spending to a minimum.
I will likely get him to tune it since it needs that but it won't be getting built like his Prado - which is awesome.

and Scott, I have to put bumpers on it before the cops actually give me a ticket for it. Sadly I will not have time to do that until next year, after I finish shool.

I'm sure u said this before as its bit a project truck, but as we can tell with the numerous threads on it.... You might as well go balls to the wall :p

Did he have a snorkel at one point that he just took off?

Yes, there was a "snorkel" there, a high end PVC pipe one :D
The guy I bough it from removed it since it was 3 times the size of the A pillar.

I don't get people, it's so cheap it looks like crap

image-3312913492.jpg

Does the diesel transmission come up in the same spot through the floor? I suspect you're just going to use it rather than your gasser 5spd?

Here is where I need to ask you (by "you" I mean people who are actually familiar from first hand experience with this scenario, not people who have read it online somewhere) about the transmissions that came with the 2LT.
I've found threads that state you can just bolt a gasser (22R) transmission to a 2LT as long as you change the housings.
Is the gear ratio the same as the transmission that came with the 22R??
Next, the transmission/transfer in my 22R is a 5 speed, and the transfer has a linkage extension that puts the transfer shifter on the transmission. Essentially what this does is it puts the trans shiftet forward and the transfer shifter forward as well.
The current set up with the 2LT has a 5 speed, the transmission shifter comes through further back (there are no provisions to put it more forward. The transfer shifter is furyher back and actually come out of the transfer.
So my question is this: who knows for sure the gear ratio of these transmissions?
Can I keep my old transmission?
Other than changing the housing (which I hope is adaptable), is there anything else?

Mark's Adapters use to have that info on their web page. Just looked now and don't see that tech data anymore. The gear ratios page shows they are definitely different. I'd email them on the bell housings. I think my neighbor Kyle put a 2L in his mini-truck and then a u-brew turbo. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Thanks John, looking at Mark's page it only shows
4 speed gas
4 speed diesel
5 speed gas
And the gears for the diesel and 5 speed are the same.
What I have is both 5 speeds. Now the bell housing is the right one (of course) for the engine and it looks like the transmission and transfer and bell housing are all from the same setup. So I will have to assume it is the original transmission.

I'm trying to avoid that, thanks Kim.
In my research I came across this, by far the most informative but I am always leery of any information on the web until it is confirmed by someone who knows I will slap them if they lied to me for the fun of it....or there is good evidence that it is true.
http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/
I think, since I have little else to go on, that I will remove the engine and trans from the donor, inspect the clutch and everything and if it appears to be the same, keep the better of the two (gears, play, etc.)
Unless someone has some compelling facts to suggest otherwise.

I'm running a g56 from a 4 runner behind a 2l
Just changed the bell housing mine was a 2wd 5 speed
and I believe the ratios are different marlin crawler web site
Has a huge tec section on.trans ratios and what fits to what
In the trannys hard to tell in mine running 5.29s and 38.5 swampers and is kind of a buggy

Eventually I plan on building a trans with the diesel gears
I think I reused the diesel clutch memory foggy
but bolted the motor and trans together three years ago
Post up if the 22clutch is the same mine has started to slip

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
I haven't pulled the motor yet but judging by the picks on Marlins website it looks like a W59 transmission (from the housing pics) more so than any other. Now, another interesting observation, when driving the truck is seemed like it took a little longer to get up to speed than it should, as if the gears were off...but the tires are small and the diffs are stock, so I assumed it was either the IP or something else needing adjustments. The speedo was off by 20% (lower) too.
Since the instrument cluster in it was nicer I swapped mine with it and noticed that all of a sudden I was off too. I'm thinking the cluster came out of a V6 engine, maybe the transmission did too.
Can a 2LT bell housing bolt up to whatever transmission they used for V6 engines? What was the V6 transmission used in the 80s?
Also, I know the frame used to be V6 because the PO relocated motor mounts.
Weird collection of parts. Looks like I won't know for sure until I pull everything out and check it.

Last edited:
Jeezus- will you get to it already? It wont swap itself you know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom