Mammoth to Klondyke and beyond - New Year's Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bwesty

SILVER Star
Threads
For awhile I have been wanting to explore the Galiuro Mountains, Aravaipa Canyon, Turkey Creek and some of the other portions of this part of Arizona further. Over New Year's we put a 4 day trip together starting off in Mammoth and taking the Rug Road into Klondyke where we continued onto Mt. Graham via dirt exploring and camping a couple more days there.

All in all, we covered well over 100 miles on dirt after leaving Mammoth before returning back to the highway. Lots of remote trails and scenery back here. Infact, at Turkey Creek we spotted a group of 40+ coatimundi as well.

IMG_1553_zps9e578299.jpg

IMG_1537_zps405cee0d.jpg

IMG_1545_zpse8a76f4f.jpg

IMG_1567_zpsf6266017.jpg

IMG_1558_zps27233ee8.jpg

IMG_1569_zps2ab2b856.jpg

IMG_1576_zpsa7aa9392.jpg

IMG_1585_zps5d01d187.jpg

IMG_1597_zps0c7ee637.jpg

IMG_1590_zpsa4dd7609.jpg

IMG_1644_zps1c52a586.jpg

IMG_1640_zps272317f6.jpg

IMG_1659_zpsff87340d.jpg

Wow, my fridge is still there.

Nice pics!

Nice pictures! It looks like the Rug Road area is getting to be pretty rugged....What route did you take from Klondyke into the Grahams? Did you go through to the Swift Highway?

Nice pictures! It looks like the Rug Road area is getting to be pretty rugged....What route did you take from Klondyke into the Grahams? Did you go through to the Swift Highway?

From Klondyke we took the Bonita/Aravaipa Rd. and went up Grant Canyon and also Tripp Canyon. We did not venture all the way to the top.

Looked a bit on the chilly side to be camping up there, some intense storms rolled through.

Great pictures Brian! I like the black and whites too for certain shots.

It is cool that you were able to see those Coatimundi - not an easy critter to run across in the state.

Left Tucson with my Dad and a couple of his buddies this morning at 4:30am. Took the 100 and just got home. Beautiful country but it was kind of nerve wracking. Didn't see another person for 40 miles and went out there woefully under prepared but the LC did its job. Klondyke to just before Parson's Grove where we turned around. Only way out was the Rug Road which we decided against since my truck is basically stock. Saw a couple snakes, wild turkey, a couple waterfalls, and a cliff dwelling that was supposedly built around 1200.

image.jpg

Took the 100 and just got home. Beautiful country but it was kind of nerve wracking. Didn't see another person for 40 miles and went out there woefully under prepared . . .

:confused:

What I meant is no recovery gear and no other vehicles with us. Not smart! Had me a little worried at time although the truck did great.

Took the 100 and just got home. Beautiful country but it was kind of nerve wracking. Didn't see another person for 40 miles

:cool:

Best part about that place...

Thanks for sharing your recent experience through the area, one of my favorite areas of the state. Rough and remote place back there, full days worth of trail time. The 100 would have been OK if you made it to Parson's Grove however carpet hill would have been more difficult than previous trail covered. It could also take some patience and maneuvering to squeeze a stock 100 through the washout at the bottom of carpet till.

I've been wanting to take this trip again since last time csc did a run out there, and this time take more time to hang out in all the cool places along the way. It's a great area.

It was great! The rear locker really helped negotiate all the ledges/climbs out there. The only issue was the charcoal evap. canister emitting a smell and was bubbling after driving it in low for extended periods. How serious is this? Read some threads and it almost seems normal. Might be calling Krystal for a replacement...

I've been wanting to take this trip again since last time csc did a run out there, and this time take more time to hang out in all the cool places along the way. It's a great area.

I agree. I thought this was a post for the 2014 club run.:hmm:

One of my favorite pics... eating your dust.:rolleyes:

Picture 161.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom