Payson Wheeling and camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spent the weekend showing my neighbor and his two sons what a Lexas can do. We stopped in and said hi to John North and BMan who were family camping in Verde Glenn. After saying good morning we looped out the Control Rd. to Pyeatte Draw Rd. and into the creek bottom to run Pyeatte. We came across about 25 Broncos that were stopped to make some repairs and a few Jeep's but shot the trail in about 30min. Went and watched the waterfall for a bit had some lunch and then looped the access road back to the Control Rd. and over to AZ 260. From there we went to Colcord Rd. and into the Haigler creek area off of Chamberlain Trial. There's a great place to camp down in there that is off the beaten path and I had been told the trail that leads to the site can be looped out 411. The initial trail down to the creek had been significantly "improved" which caused the camping area to be less secluded :mad: The trail from the camping area further up the creek however, is rather difficult and very unmaintained. We went back as far as the waterfall but seemed to run out of trail there.:meh: Not sure if it loops and we lost the trail or if it just ends but it was getting late so we did a off camber 30 point turn and headed back to the camping area. The kidos were ready to play in the creek so we set up camp rather then heading back to Verde Glenn.
We didn't stop to take pictures of Pyeatte, just rolled the whole thing so all my pictures came from the Haigler area.:cheers:

209879_10151016833391895_283186076_n.jpg

241538_10151016834636895_640614091_n.jpg

77503_10151016834961895_777303826_n.jpg

192783_10151016835456895_257267548_n.jpg

462150_10151016835791895_1288140984_n.jpg

291276_10151016836126895_1068276299_n.jpg

219297_10151016836441895_429967918_n.jpg

458789_10151016851141895_813933694_n.jpg

Last edited:
verrry nice - I cant wait to get back up north myself!

Great area and pictures thanks for posting

Thanks Phil, sorry I missed my CB pickup

:cool:

How are the tires working?

They work fantastic!! I did almost loose one finder flair so need to adjust panhard bar and/or add bump stop. Oh, and also think I might have re-warped the rotors:mad:

verrry nice - I cant wait to get back up north myself!

It would be a great place for a club camp out. Would just have to get there early and annex the whole thing

I will be down in your work area tomorrow would you like me to stop by and drop off the CB?

Sure, if you are going to be down here anyway. I will be here all day:doh:

Nice report, thanks for sharing. I have run the trail to the waterfall a few times. It is too bad the main access trail to the camps along Haigler was improved so much. I know prior it had a good size v-notch that kept most out and I heard they closed off the big steep hill down into the camp.

The trail to the waterfall is always nice for more challenge. I am not aware of any way out from the waterfall. I've driven up the dry wash from the waterfall a short distance and hiked the rest and it is not vehicle friendly.

Was the waterfall running?

Nice report, thanks for sharing. I have run the trail to the waterfall a few times. It is too bad the main access trail to the camps along Haigler was improved so much. I know prior it had a good size v-notch that kept most out and I heard they closed off the big steep hill down into the camp.

The trail to the waterfall is always nice for more challenge. I am not aware of any way out from the waterfall. I've driven up the dry wash from the waterfall a short distance and hiked the rest and it is not vehicle friendly.

Was the waterfall running?

Thx, good to know we didn't just miss something. All the obstacles going down are gone, I don't think you even need high clearance. The steep hill going into camp is definitely gone. The waterfall was dry as was most of the upper creak. There was very little water in general compared to any other time I have been down in there.

v-notch like this? :D

Ps: Picture from https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/418416-hagler-creek-road.html

[URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=454310&stc=1&d=1285643111"][URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=454310&stc=1&d=1285643111"] [/URL][/URL]

Going through my old thread made me smile and want to go back soon. I remember that hole was big enough to swallow up a Samari! - right after some big rains. Sad to hear the road in has been "improved" and the big hill is gone? :frown: Did they blockade the trail up to the big hill?

That is the one. It will be returned to its old state eventually with the fire that was on the mountain above the area erodes rather quickly. That hole made for fun exits in narrow width vehicles.

Going through my old thread made me smile and want to go back soon. I remember that hole was big enough to swallow up a Samari! - right after some big rains. Sad to hear the road in has been "improved" and the big hill is gone? :frown: Did they blockade the trail up to the big hill?

Yeah, they blocked off the road leading to it and a few other places with guard rails. They also blocked off the extreme uphill loop around the washed out section. It is really smooth all the way to the second campsite then a log blocks the path and you have to go into the third campsite and up and around. I was shocked because they use to have a huge berm you had to get over just to start the trail. You now have to drive all the way through the best campsite just to get across the creek to the campsites on the other side:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom