Rear ceiling rack inquiry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
Ive seen several CSCrs with a rack mounted up above the rear storage area (LCPhil, Rudster, AZTony(?) come to mind) that holds all thier stuff and gets it up off the floor. Even saw a papertowel rack on one of them :D

The Question: Where and what did you use for the rack? I went to Home Depot and nothing really matches up. Did you have to cut one down or?

Thanks in advance

murf

Attic

Murf, I have only seen LCPhils and he said his was from I believe a garment rack. I ended up using pvc for a frame and a trunk cargo net secured with bungees and it seems to be working out okay. I put the rear piece of pvc thru a roll of paper towels so it serves as a holder. I put legs to support the rear and the front is hung on a clothes rod running thru pvc tees to secure the side pieces running to the rear.

Terry

I used a shelf rack as pictured. The one I have is heavy duty as I had gotten these from a past employer as these were industrial brand but can get imitation ones from most places (HD, Lowes, Target etc). They may not be as heavy duty but your not carrying that much weight up there. sell these . The size I used was 24" x 42". I originally had it attached to the grab handles with hose clamps but it would wobble. I removed the grab handles and made some brackets that bolt in, attached shelf and now its sturdy.

100_0648.jpg

100_0649.jpg

100_0650.jpg

Last edited:
Terry is correct mine was a garment display rack prior to the attic. My install started full ghetto with 3M zip ties to the handles above. I have since upgraded the mount hardware to hose clamps (semi-ghetto) but after many hard miles of testing it works well and will remain semi...

Murf check the part walls in the showroom at CMT you could allready have what you need but just dont know it :)

Rear storage.jpg

I removed the grab handles and made some brackets that bolt in, attached self and now its sturdy.

Excellent upgrade! A must it appears~

Murf check the part walls in the showroom at CMT you could allready have what you need but just dont know it :)

:meh: might have to go "shopping" :hillbilly:

Murf,

I have something very similar. It is a wire rack used in pallet rack shelves. I can get details and a pic for you tomorrow. If it works, you can have it.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

love the concept and truly a great way to store items ......now how do those of us in the 60 series clan do this ...since we dont have the mounting of third row oh s*** handles nor back seat mounts frankly i think some one needs to come up with a 60 series prototype:clap::cheers:

love the concept and truly a great way to store items ......now how do those of us in the 60 series clan do this ...since we dont have the mounting of third row oh s*** handles nor back seat mounts frankly i think some one needs to come up with a 60 series prototype:clap::cheers:

That would be your new job.:idea:

Do you have oh s*** handles over the second row seats? I've always wanted a shelf in that position so I can reach it from the driver's seat.:hmm:

Murf,

I have something very similar. It is a wire rack used in pallet rack shelves. I can get details and a pic for you tomorrow. If it works, you can have it.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Thanks to generous offers from Ralph B and jjgarci1, I think we may be able to formulate something. :cheers:

Ill post up some final product pictures when completed.

Murf

Do you have oh s*** handles over the second row seats? I've always wanted a shelf in that position so I can reach it from the driver's seat.:hmm:

well if i didnt have to worry about folks riding in the back seats i wouldnt mind putting in a rack in its place. :hillbilly::rolleyes::hmm:

Do you have oh **** handles over the second row seats? I've always wanted a shelf in that position so I can reach it from the driver's seat.:hmm:
Thats what one of these is for:

large.gif

well if i didnt have to worry about folks riding in the back seats i wouldnt mind putting in a rack in its place. :hillbilly::rolleyes::hmm:

If you had a rack, you wouldn't have people in the back seat to worry about.:hillbilly:

I cut up a 4' x 8' section of vinyl coated stock fencing found in the outdoor section of Home Depot or Lowes. I have it on the sides also so I can hang things from them using HD's large caribiner clips. The sides support the top rack and I just put light stuff up there like extra clothes, climbing gear, rope, and a GoLight.

I cut up a 4' x 8' section of vinyl coated stock fencing found in the outdoor section of Home Depot or Lowes. I have it on the sides also so I can hang things from them using HD's large caribiner clips. The sides support the top rack and I just put light stuff up there like extra clothes, climbing gear, rope, and a GoLight.

Good idea, but you don't carry much, the rest of us need heavy duty materials.:rolleyes:

Good idea, but you don't carry much, the rest of us need heavy duty materials.:rolleyes:

HA! I said that is just to get the LIGHT stuff up out of the way so it's not crushed by the scuba tank, spare rear driveshaft, spare rear axle, refrigerator, backup 110v air compressor, 1500W inverter, refrigerator, tyre pliers, bolt cutters, 2 impact wrenches, drill, angle grinder, 24v MIG Ready Welder, Craftsman aluminum 2 ton floor jack, complete metric and SAE tool set - all on a heavy duty slideout drawer, and even though I've been accused of such, I'm proud to say that I don't carry the Kitchen Sink! :)

HA! I said that is just to get the LIGHT stuff up out of the way so it's not crushed by the scuba tank, spare rear driveshaft, spare rear axle, refrigerator, backup 110v air compressor, 1500W inverter, refrigerator, tyre pliers, bolt cutters, 2 impact wrenches, drill, angle grinder, 24v MIG Ready Welder, Craftsman aluminum 2 ton floor jack, complete metric and SAE tool set - all on a heavy duty slideout drawer, and even though I've been accused of such, I'm proud to say that I don't carry the Kitchen Sink! :)

dup doh

No need for a sink if you dont carry water:flipoff2::rolleyes:

Not a bad idea

That sounds like good strength to weight for an attic. How is the rigidity? How did you mount it?

How long did the zip ties work for Rudster? Those have to be weaker than stock fence.

I think a stock fence like material w/ a lightweight frame that mounts in the factory bolt holes would be as good as it gets and cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom